New Visitor

Re: Existing Customer --- No Offers for loyalty?

Pants on fire........

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Comcast is following the same greedy course of putting the "squeeze" on their current customers.  Comcast should realize that customers won't stand for it.   What happened to Netflix will also happen to Comcast.

Comcast recently reported huge windfall profits in Dec 2011 quarter PRIOR to the recent price hikes in Jan 2012.  So I don't believe their excuse for the cost increase is to maintain the bottom line is true.  Comcast just want to gouge the pockets of their current customers.

New Visitor
tusie77

Comcast offered the digital package for 12 months last year and cinemax at $5.  Every month, i've been paying around $56.  Suddenly promotion expired, no alerts via email or phone call.  My bill was doubled in the last month as the digital package went up to 64.99 and cinemax is now 19.99.  I'm suddently being billed for $100 a month.  I asked them to remove cinemax which they would.  But they can't offer me a better price on the digital package than 64.99.  I'm an existing customer for 2 years, and they are offering this to new customers at half the price.  What customer loyalty? 

Anyway, i shut down my service today after talking to their customer loyalty folks who basically said that's the rate i have to pay.  So I called Direct TV, and have them come in tomorrow to set up my service for 29.99 a month for 2 years basically with all the same channels I'm getting with Comcast right now.  In fact, they said if my promotion for cinemax, HBO are due to expire, they'll send emails to alert me so I know to cancel them before i get billed.  Whether or not they'll follow through, I'll have to wait and see.  But this kind of business practice among cable and satelite companies is simply dishonest.  Must we all have to check our bill all the time to ensure they're not billing incorrectly or when a rate suddenly doubles?  And the practice of which existing customers pay more than new customers?  This is simply awful and dishonest business practice/model.

Contributor
MikeRogers

I feel that the best thing to do with these 3 month promotions that are offered to you for free hbo etc.... is to not take it at all. Because you go through alot of red tape trying to cancel it when the time is up, and like you said they slam you with the higher fee without notice. It's not worth the aggrevation of having to cancel after 3 months. This is a game that all these companies have, make you think your getting something for free and then hit you with a big increase,without telling you.

New Visitor
BubbaBubbalicio

Gas, electric, and water charge me for what I use. 

Comcast charges you regardless if you watch the channels or use the internet.   

Optional utility with a fixed price scheme is certainly negotiable.  Their profit margin is enormous and we cross subsidize channels that are not self supporting.   This should have all gone ala carte years ago, but McCain was on the commitee that was convinced the cable oligopolies should get a anticompetitive free ride. 

So, sure, don't give any discounts, just charge us for what we use by the channel and by the hour and all our bills would have to plummit.   

Hopefully internet access directly to networks on a subsriber basis will relegate bundles channel companies like comcast irrelevant.  Afterall, comcast is just a middle man with a cabel network.  They are unnecessary for real access to content providers. 

So people who don't understand the different between an electric bill with charges per kwh and a bundled must buy it all use it or lose it system are really not looking at the big picture. 

New Visitor
clsylvester3

Maybe instead of comparing to all the companies that don't offer discounts to loyal customers, a company should step up and separate themselves from all the other companies. Just because no one is loyal to their customers and don't offer discounts doesn't make it right and that shouldn't be the norm. Whatever company that comes along and changes that will put its competitors out of business and truly have 100% customer service satisfaction. Bottom line is that Comcast is a joke and they forget that without its customers there would be no Comcast. They think we need them more than they need us, and I'm sorry but that is not the case. There are other options out there.

New Visitor
clsylvester3

Well I dont have a "meter charge" on my bill, so maybe that's just you.

New Visitor
lfgarner

All you have to do is call and ask if they are running any promotions. I was getting a great deal running for 6 mos. It was coming to a close so I called to ask if another promotion was going on and she said that mine would be renewed for another 6 mos but at a higher price than what I was paying but still it was cheaper than full price.  I was OK with that because I was getting an unbelievable bargain.  I also ask if they give senior citizen discounts and they do not.  My mom in GA gets a 10% senior discount from her provider.  My only complaint is that they will not give the discount for bundling to existing customers. Only if you are a new customer.  Well they could have my phone and internet business but only if they give me the deal.

Visitor
msuozzi

This is all well and good - however, apartment dwellers "cannot" and "are not" allowed to have a dish installed on top of their buildings.  I presently live in a high-rise consisting of 10 stories with 99 apartment units.  In order for all of us to change over to a "dish" there would be approximately 85 to 90 dishes on the roof, which is an impossibility!  I also work for a Realty Company and even those people residing in duplexes, triplexes, etc. are not giving permission to have a dish installed.  Therefore, we are left to the auspices of the cable companies.

Contributor

I've been with Comcast for 20 years. I cancelled the overpriced cable TV today and asked for a deal on the internet so they could keeop my business. Their reply? Your internet will now go up $21  a month. And I'm pretty well screwed because there is no other decent speed internet in my area. I am disgusted with them. I seriously wish there was competition in my area.

Loyalty means nothing at all. Nothing

New Visitor
Rosaneedscable

I have been a customer for many years to my surprise I have received my bill today amount nearly doubled in amount from 79.00 to 144.00. I recently upgrade and agreed for my cable from 24.99 to 34.99 to my surprise bill reflected 49.99. I called spoke several representatives refused to honor the previouso offer or find a package or promotion meeting my needs. I was left to choice but to cancel

VERY UNHAPPY WITH COMCAST

New Visitor
jsherman

[ Edited ]

Just wanted to comment on this thread -

Been with Comcast with all 3 services through 3 addresses and about 8 years.  Every time my bill went up 'cause a promotion ended, I called their 800 number, and the person on the phone happily got my bill right where it was for another 6-12 months.

Not this time.

Bill jumped from $129 to $151.  So, I call and do the normal billing dance again, only to be told that *if* I sign a 2 year contract, they can get my bill to $145.  Yea right.  2 year contract, AND a price increase from last month.

So, I call back when their customer loyalty department is open and spend 30 minutes on the phone with someone there.  Same story.  Call again a few days later & talk to someone different, same story.....so, off to satellite I go..... have install scheduled and about to sign a contract with them.  Not excited about it, but they are cheaper.....

Then, on a whim, we stop into a XFinity service center since we had dinner a few blocks from the center (the place you can go to physically exchange boxes, or pay bills....not many around, only 1 within 50 miles of me).  They just changed locations here in town 3 weeks ago.

So, my wife and I go in, and I start with "So, talk me into switching to Comcast from DTV."  After listening to the 10 minute sales pitch, I tell him ...so, yea, I am a current customer, and my bill is 1.5 times what you just told me.  He looks at me surprised, and says "I can help with that - you should have just told me that from the start"  He proceeds to give me the new customer rate, a new wireless router at no charge & no monthly charge (mine was on its last legs), and tells me next time, to come into the store instead of calling the 800 number - that local stores are a different branch of Comcast, and have much more freedom in what they can do.

So, I left paying $89.99+Modem+HDDVR box per month (lower than I was paying for the last year), a new router, and without having to sign a new 2 year contract.

Don't believe me?  After the hours I spent on the phone, I can hardly believe it...but it's true.  Kinda annoying that they didn't do this on the phone....but I left the store extremely happy - I didn't really want to switch anyway.

So, moral of the story is, stop in your local service center - or call them if you can find the number. 

Oh, and Rick Germano Senior, Comcast Vice President of Customer Operations --- if you read this post, please consider changing your 800# policy around a bit.  You'll never know how close you came to losing a long-time customer, and I am sure you've lost a lot of other customers over this.....

New Visitor
BLOODBOILING

Thanks for responding, but READ your November bill Fine Print. It clearly states, we are raising prices to

invest in other interests...the purchase of NBC.

New Visitor
BLOODBOILING

Right on the money!

New Visitor
BLOODBOILING

Here is a good alternative. My son and daughter can't pay $120/mo for cable so we went to Target and bought a little divice for $59 and an antenna, voula! They have most channels because they have HDTV televisions. I am about to make the change too. I wish all the lazy people in this country would look into all the alternatives and BURN Comcast!!! There ARE alternatives!

Contributor
MikeRogers

I found your post to be very interesting, considering that I am currently paying $154.00 a month for the comcast triple play. My 2 year contract is almost over and I too am considering changing over to DirecTv unless I can get a much better deal with comcast. Overall I am happy with their services, but very unhappy with their pricing. I wanted to know what comcast office you went into to get this deal, because I would like to do the same rather then waste my time getting the run around over the phone. If you want you can send me a direct message with this information, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mike

New Visitor
niftynana7

Howdy, I pay online, just go t  my NEW bill....its now up to $170.00+  I just paid $144>00! What in the DEVIL is going on???? I had triple play too. but now I'm under no contract! HELP!!! I'm 71 on a fixed income, and I don't need this ! So, if anyone has a solution let me know! Comcast is ripping us off!!!

New Visitor
niftynana7

HELLO PEOPLE! We need a CHANGE!  ITS called dump them, but first find a new provider!  I protest.....we let the rich get richer! HELP!

Contributor

I don't know where you are located but I just brought a copy of your email into the local Xfinity office and they could do nothing to help lower my bill, except reduce some of the options I have- 

New Visitor
niftynana7

Reply? What Reply? All I see is very unhappy customers! What do we have to do to get OUR message across? I live in Swartz Creek, by Flint, and I sure wish I were younger....I'd be out there protesting against Comcast !I might need a wheelchair. but I'd be there! HELP.....you people are younger than me....So, STOP this rip off....I'll help all I can!

New Visitor
CHEWMAILPOUCH

SLOW, SLOW INTERNET, SENDING PICS WAS FASTER ON DIAL UP.  I JUST EXPECT TO GET WHAT I PAY FOR AND COMCAST AIN'T DELIVERING.   THE MORE THEY CHARGE THE WORSE THE SERVICE IS.  THEY LOWERED OUR BILL FOR THREE MONTHS AND THEN IN THE 4TH MONTH WE GET A BILL FOR $238 OUT OF THE BLUE.  YOU CALL AND NO ONE KNOWS WHAT HAPPENED....

Contributor

@Comcast Larry. 

Sorry, I'm not buying it. If that were true, it would not have taken this long to get a decent response from Comcast. 4 years being billed separately for internet and less than acceptable TV, at a high price, that was supposed to be a bundle? That is unacceptable and you know it is. And I called a number of times for a better price. Never was I told that my services were not bundled or that the upgraded services were available at a lower place. 4 years, Larry. At this point, I believe I am entitled to a full refund of the overpayment, retroactive to the beginning in 2008.

I can't wait to see the response to this.

New Visitor
rg22

Monopoly? So is Verizon, Dish, Direct tv etc...at least comcast did something about their mistakes in the past. Im not saying their perfect no one or anything is, however, manning up to it shows character. Sure I myself wonder where are the deals for current customer of 10 years, but if you believe comcast is a rip off and are gonna switch to a non monopoly mistake free company...goodluck .

New Visitor

good Luck with that one.

New Visitor
niftynana7

I agree on needing good luck....my bill jumped up by almost $40. and dn't know the reason why!  Our economy is so bad, you'd think they would give some breaks! Now its my rent.....where does it stop???

New Visitor
ewymore

As the gas company and electric company are essentially monompolies for particular service areas, and subject to public regulation of their charges, I do not expect much leeway.  However, the bank, grocery store, cell phone company among others does reward loyalty.  In particular, Comcast's primary rivals offer discounts.  For instance, when I moved about one year ago, I had completed my DISH Network contract.  I asked them to move my service for free, and explained that as a non-contracted customer, I could just as easily get a new customer deal from one of their rivals.  They complied by providing me with promotional pricing.  From Comcast, when I explained the same thing, I received a whopping $50 discount off of the new installation fee (from $149 to $99) for our internet and phone service.  If there were only a viable alternative for internet service where I live....... 

New Visitor
spv75

Not true, Comcast does not care about existing customers. I have called numerous times since seeing my bill increase to over $90 over 2 years and all they say is that if I am unhappy I should cancel.

New Visitor
New Visitor

And this is why there is very little customer loyalty today.  Business' like Comcast really don't care about customer loyalty, it's all about new customer's.  Sadly you're right, all business' do it and that's why people change services so often, whether it's TV, Wireless or anything else.   Actually, Verizon does offer one benefit for long time loyalty, you get $50.00 off your next phone with a new 2 year agreement.  Sadly if you want an iPhone, it doesn't apply, only on Droids or standard type phones.

New Visitor

I get nothing for having tv and internet and when they changed their pricing structure and plans they ever so "nicely" bumped me up.  I plan on calling to have the extra $18 a month removed as this extra tier has nothing I use on it.  With tax I pay 145 a month for preferred internet, digital starter and digital preferred (didn't ask for this one).  I have not ever had any premium channels. 

When they went to 100% digital boxes it took me 2 weeks before I got someone who was not more interested in upselling me.  They told me I had to get 3 boxes, 1 free and pay an extra 14 a month for the other 2.  I finally got someone who said no I did not have to have 3 boxes.  I have 1 box and 2 digital adapters.  Currently waiting for WOW cable to hit my neighborhood.  As then maybe Comcast will change their tune.  I have friends in neighborhoods that do offer WOW cable and when they call Comcast to complain, they have freebies thrown at them as an incentive to stay with Comcast. 

New Visitor
mpdennigan

I feel exactly the same way.  There is no customer loyalty from Comcast and their charges are unbelievable.  I am also waiting for another company to service my area and then I am moving to the new firm.  I also have friends that live in an area where there is competition so Comcast is willing to work with it's customers in order to keep them.  It is a sad situation when you have to wait until Comcast is no longer a monopoly in your area for them to work with you for being a loyal customer.  I also got a letter saying that they would reduce the bill by $20.00 per month for being a Triple Play Rewards member but am having trouble signing up for it.  WHY DOESN'T COMCAST JUST AUTOMATICALLY GIVE YOU THE DISCOUNT?  WHY DO THEY MAKE YOU DO THE WORK OF SIGNING UP FOR IT.....I WILL TELL YOU WHY.....IT IS SO HARD TO GET THE TASK ACCOMPLISHED THAT CUSTOMERS GET FED UP AND DON'T BOTHER.  I EXPECT CUSTOMER SERVICE TO CONTACT ME TO GIVE ME MY REWARDS BECAUSE THEY HAVE MADE SIGNING UP MORE THAN DIFFICULT.

New Visitor
susanplath

I'm SO frustrated with Comcast right now.  I stopped leasing a internet modem and bought my own.  They deducted the $5 per month but my billed jumped to $17 more per month.  DUHHHH.  I have to call every single month to the billing dept since they believe in "creative" billing.

New Visitor
1Baldbird

Susan Im with you on that I must get 2 envelopes weekly from comcast and yes I too am a customer and have been forever. They offer nothing they are so stupid in wasting our money on mailings just to throw them in the trash. Give us devoted people a friggin break already right . Lot's of love.

Michael.

New Visitor
Mary_jensen

I too agree i have been a comcast patron many times before and always got swindled

New Visitor
Mary_jensen

1Baldbird wrote:

Susan Im with you on that I must get 2 envelopes weekly from comcast and yes I too am a customer and have been forever. They offer nothing they are so stupid in wasting our money on mailings just to throw them in the trash. Give us devoted people a friggin break already right . Lot's of love.

Michael.

I too agree i have been a comcast patron many times before and always got swindled

New Visitor
Mary_jensen

I have been trying to get youto nderstand i work online and it is getting to be more expensive to pay for internet service then i make at work online

New Visitor
Mary_jensen

we are inappropriate because we tell the truth please comcast give us a break i try very hard to make a living but you guys gobble up anything I make

New Visitor
Mary_jensen

i  THINK THAT 130.00 A MONTH IS RIDICULOUS I NEED YOU FOR MY JOB AND YOU ARE RIPPING ME OFF

Email Expert
CCCarole

Contributor

I recently got bumped up from about $160/month to $236, including a $28 service call for Comcast replacement of a faulty cable box. I called to ask them to revert me to my prior rate and they tell me it's not possible unless I sign a two-year contract, with another increase in one year.

This is terrible service. It represents a 57% increase over my older rate for NO additional services. With inflation running at less than 3%, how can they do this with a clear conscience?

My Business Class service at work with 6 phone lines, TV and internet is only slightly more than this new home Triple Play rate of $236.

I'm definitely shopping for alternatives ASAP.

New Visitor
tat2supplier

I have been a 'loyal customer' for many years myself, with Comcast, with the electric company, the gas company, the bank, the telephone company, my local grocery store,  and the list goes on and on.... I don't get discounts from any of them- Do you?

comcast is the phone company, that aside.... the others listed do not offer their services for less to others (NEW CUSTOMERS).

New Visitor

Call them. I just had mine lowered 30 a month for 12 months. Took me every bit of 5 minutes to have my bill reduced.

Contributor

I called them and they wanted me to sign a two-year contract at a reduced rate for the first year, with an increase in the second year. Why do we have to play these games? Surely they can extend their promotional rates to everyone!

Contributor

I had posted earlier on this very message and must say, I am "shocked" that folks simply do not switch over to HD antennas' , wiresless internet service Thru cell, and give up their Bundle packages. It can be done.

I got an HD Antenna and all the shows I even care to watch are within reception. Over 25 stations come in clearly and with the same clarity you get from cable. So I save on Television.

Yes I still have internet cable and look forward to when I can CUT the ties with Comcast. My area has the worse customer service from Comcast with two weeks delay in service apptments! They sure have no problem "DEMANDING" their money on time .  I spew at the fact they keep buying all these other assets and then proceed to write on my bill that the reason for the increase is the upkeep of service. Bull Diddlelee Dee!

Its so they can invest more in other things and leave the customer holding the bag!

ANd NO they do not bend in a five minute call for promos....they keep you on hold for half an hour then toss you around ....

Visitor

What customers need to realize that there are many offers available for existing customers, but many customers look for unreasonable offers that we may not be able to match. The Retention dept. has offers/bundles set aside for customers to help lower their costs for a period of time. Alot of times when customers roll off of their promotions they are looking for the same exact offer they had before, some of those offers are no longer available, people also want more and more, cannot afford certain services but are un-willing to downgrade their service. The grass is not always greener on the other side. If a company is giving you a "new" offer that is only because you would be considered a "new customer", but people fail to realize that the rates will increase after 1yr or even 2yrs and the rates cannot be matched to what the new offers are at that time. I am a Comcast employee hear this everyday. We are always willing to work with people but cannot match every offer or demand a customer makes. Another piece of advice I would like to give customers is when calling the Retention dept. ask what kind of packages are available to help lower the cost, dont jump down the agents throat because you will not get the best discounts.We will always position the best options and offers. Hopefully this helps.

Contributor

Alexis, Yes as a customer I am very much aware of how "hard" hitting consumers can be in getting great deals. It goes both ways. I disagree that being "sweet" on the phone will suddenly sway a comcast employee to reconsider a package. They are all about commissions and thwarting the Loss of their companys hard earned PROFITS. Let the Consumer Profit! Without us, your business will fall. I am ALL for being civil to any business, yet when COMCAST chooses to bully people by monopolizing the cable industry ( and yes legally we are not allowed to call it a monopoly or else the politicians lose their free internet/tv service that lines their pockets). I call it like it is...COMCAST has and will continue to dig itself into obsolete service, and I will be at that viewing :smileyhappy: the bigger they are ...the harder they fall.

My company has business class comcast and we went thru HECK and back due to this lil "clause" that delays new service.  FORTY FIVE BUSINESS DAYS?????Get real!!!! We had to vacate our one building and only had two months to find a new place! We contacted good ole COMCAST and they "recited" our lil business class clause of 45 business days Notice!!! Okay lets do the math, that is approximately 2 months and 2 weeks NOTWITHSTANDING any holidays which can bump the time frame further!!! We had to literrally wait the FULL 3 CALANDAR MONTHS Before we even got a call back for a set appointment date for "new service" at our new facility! What kinda "fast", "reliable" cable service waits three months to inilialize NEW connections in the same area!!! that is how pathetic it is. So Spare the paying customer on how the comcast "phone" employees are just ever so cheerful in helping the customer! They DELAY and Spew out contracting "clauses" and basically tell us to suffer til they feel like getting there. Yeah thats relaible all right....

Contributor

I've read all through this thread. I've seen a few people defend Comcast. I believe it is often all about who you get on the phone. Some actually are willing to help while others simply blow you off or try to upsell you. I also totally agree with the person who commented on the other utilities also being monopoloes, but not offering discounts for new customers. It seems more cost efficient to retain customers who have been with you for many years than spend all the time and money to recruit new customers. 

The point is, loyalty should matter. Negative word of mouth is bad for business and loads of us truly despise the way Comcast treats us. I was flat out lied to for years. Is that good business? Does anyone think I would recommend Comcast to others? If so, you're delusional. I make a point to tell everyone I know how bad the service is with Comcast. 

I still firmly believe I should receive credit for the past 4 years of overcharge for a bundle I was not getting. Comcast Larry, do you even have a valid response? Blowing sunshine is not really working at this point.

Contributor
BatmanBMX

My "6 Month" special offer just ended. 28% increase in monthly bill for the EXACT same service.  I've been a customer for 20 years and they never have to make a service call- nothing. they simply deposit my monthly check.  

I was just told by Lyndsay in "Customer Loyalty" that if my budget could not afford the increase I should downgrade services.  It has nothing to do with my budget, rather it has to do with being bent over a barrell by Comcast. 

The service rep at the CS location was embarrassed by her companies pricing.  Lyndsay said I should go with Centurylionk (same service at 1/3 the HS price).  I am fed up with this out of touch company. 

Contributor
BatmanBMX

Here is another thought – Offer a competitively priced product with the options we want.  I do not need $100 with a landline and sports package.  I need High Speed Internet and Local HD only.  You make me beg for it every six months via some dumb promo.  Now you have nothing in this range without a huge percentage increase.  Meanwhile, Century Link does and offers the price for 1 or 5 years no BSing around.    I’d gladly sign a multiyear deal to have to stop feeling like you hate my money and business.   You are as dumb as Netflix…

New Visitor
psharding

I completely agree with what you are saying.  I have been a loyal Comcast customer for ten years and they have screwed me over for the last time!  My bill went from $119.00 to $156.62 to $274.81 this month. I it clear that Comcast does not value long-term loyal customers who paid on time every month for years.  Comcast has angred me to the point of no return this is the last draw.  There customer service reps. sound like broken records repeating non-rational statements being read from a script.  One wonders the methodolgy Comcast has behind upsetting their long-term customers.  I plan to file a formal complaint with the Indiana Utility regulatory commission and contact the Comcast corporate office to express my dissatisfaction.  COMCAST GET A CLUE AND LEARN THE TRUE MEANING OF CUSTOMER SERVICE.  REMEMBER THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Visitor
psharding

$118.19 increase in monthly service fees is completely ridiculous.  Does Comcast really believe customers will stand for this?  Completely unreasonable and Comcast offers no warning or explanation.  Do you think I'm going to just paid the bill and not say anything?  Ridiculous and not acceptable!!!  I can't wait to call the corporate office and the Indiana utility regulatory commission on Monday morning!  I'm so angry about this!