Contributor
fiyer

Re: FREE digital adapters are now being charged

Nicely put Searock1!

Recognized Contributor

Jessemarsh wrote:   Craig

If you have new TVs with the digital tuner you can hook the cable directly to it and run the setup.  depending on the market your are in you will find a lot of channels that you can view without the DTAs.    

Not true anymore.  In more and more markets, Comcast is encrypting the "Clear QAM" channels so that a television's QAM tuner no longer can tune any cable channels, even the local over-the-air broadcast channels.  Late in 2012, at the request of the cable industry's lobbying group, the FCC changed regulations regarding "Clear QAM" and allowed Comcast and other cable ops to encrypt ALL of their channels.  Once your local market adopts 100% encryption, you will have no choice but to rent a cable box or DTA in order to tune ANY Comcast TV programming.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

And Comcast will never tell us when the local channels will get encrypted. In my market the Limited Basic tier is still supposed to be un-encrypted. I expect it will change sometime next year and without notice.

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

Comcast by law is suppose to inform all customers on the limited basic tier of the change 30 days before they encrypt. But then again comcast has proven time and time again they do what ever they want.

New Visitor
MaulikShah

Charges for Digital Adapter

When I first ordered for a Digital Adapter for my 2nd TV, I was told that it is free if I also have a Digital set top box. How I see a $1.99 for the adapter+remote. When did Comcast start charging for the adapter?

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Re: Charges for Digital Adapter

MaulikShah

This thread stated in October 2012. Reading back on this thread I saw a reference to the changes were supposed to be implemented in July of 2012.

If it is like most changes with Comcast they don't always occur at the same time nationwide.

New Visitor
Xponent

I haven't been notified of this change.  These charges need to be removed completeley.  They should also come and pick up the devices that I have never used.

Regular Contributor

Xponent wrote:

I haven't been notified of this change.  These charges need to be removed completeley.  They should also come and pick up the devices that I have never used.

The problem you have s that Comcast most likely did notify you of the change.  Thye have a nasty habit of hiding the notice withing your bill somewhere on one of the pages.  What they should be required to do is include a separate page in Big bold type informing its customers of billing changes.  Thye seem to do this when they announce channel lineup changes why not when they are increasing you bill.  Also since around Feb 2013 Comcast has listed the change in billing for the DTA's on their Web site.  they did this have nurmorous complaints to the FCC and the BBB.  Com filing complaints does get a reaction from Comcast.  Best suggestion is KEEP on filing those complaints.

Jess

New Visitor
Xponent

I will be contacting the BBB and FCC.  Thank you for the reply!

Contributor
dartfever

What about purchasing one of the Comcast Digital Adapters that are offered for sale on eBay and Craigs List?  Would this allow avoiding the $1.99 rental fee, even though it would take up to two years to return your investment?  I tried asking this of the telephone representatives in both Billing and Technical Support and could not get a definitive answer.

Security Expert
CajunTek

dartfever wrote:

What about purchasing one of the Comcast Digital Adapters that are offered for sale on eBay and Craigs List?  Would this allow avoiding the $1.99 rental fee, even though it would take up to two years to return your investment?  I tried asking this of the telephone representatives in both Billing and Technical Support and could not get a definitive answer.

I don't know how comcast validates these but for a modem it doesn't work. Usually those are stolen.

TANSTAAFL!!

Contributor
dartfever

[ Edited ]

Actually it does work for modems, which I had done recently with an Arris TG862G/CT Telephony Wireless Gateway to avoid the $7 monthly fee.  I just was not sure about the Digital Adapter, as it sounded like it was more of a charge for the "additional outlets", as opposed to renting the equipment.  Has anyone tried purchasing the boxes, and then having them successfully activated?

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

FWIW: Comcast only allows customers to buy there own telephone modems in certain markets always better to call first and see if your market allows it. No customers can buy there own DTA's they must be rented from comcast same goes for cable set top boxes.

Contributor
dartfever

So even if I purchase one of the identical DTA's from a seller on eBay, and am able to have it activated, Comcast will still charge me the $1.99 monthly rental fee because it is "their" box?  Sorry, but I am having a hard time accepting that there is no other alternative; even though quite a few channels are still available directly through the cable, that convenience will likely disappear in the future.

Visitor
craiglarson22

I don't think those Comcast DTA's can be legally sold. I saw 2 brand new ones in unopened Comcast boxes in a thrift store last week. They were $4.99 each.  I didn't buy them. Comcast does not sell them.  I think they were donated from an estate, and the person that donated them probably didn't know they were Comcast property. They won't work unless Comcast activates them on your account. Then you would get the $1.99 per month charge on your bill.

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

You can buy all of them you want but comcast will not activate them bottom line.

Regular Contributor

dartfever wrote:

So even if I purchase one of the identical DTA's from a seller on eBay, and am able to have it activated, Comcast will still charge me the $1.99 monthly rental fee because it is "their" box?  Sorry, but I am having a hard time accepting that there is no other alternative; even though quite a few channels are still available directly through the cable, that convenience will likely disappear in the future.

Yes. That's the case.  The DTA's aren't commercially available.  So that means the ones you see for sale are most likely the property of Comcast or some other cable company.  Same issue with the Comcast cable boxes you find on EBAY.  The exception may be the cable modems.  There are many legitimate sources for even the voice modems that you can legally own.  If you want a cable box then get a Ceton digital tuner and put it on a Windows computer.  Add a comcast M cable card (first one is free) and an extender to be able to view it in other rooms.  No additional outlet charges when using an extender and you can put up to 2 cable cards in the same computer without an outlet charge.  Cost of the second cable card varies depending on where you are at.

Jess

Contributor
dartfever

[ Edited ]

Thank you, Jess.  I will probably just stay with what I have for now, but it is good to know there is a practical alternative.  Best regards, Dana

New Visitor
Big_Blue

Like several folks have noted, you can use a Ceton PCI card in a media server and an XBox (or other extender device) to view TV.  The Ceton card I use allows 4 TVs to view at once over the network and since we have a bunch of Xboxes around, this works well for us.  The server operates as a DVR, so you dont need the Comcast DVR either.  The only fee to Comcast is $1 per month for a Cablecard. 

But back to the digital adapters, we used 2 of these for over 2 years and then noticed the fee in June/July timeframe.  I immediately filed an online complaint with the WA AGs office and received several calls from someone at Comcast as a result.  She kept referencing a new rate structure and wouldnt address my assertion that this is a contract issue (we filled out a card that specifically referred to the 2 boxes being free).  In the end, she gave me a $20 statement credit, but I said it doesnt resolve my complaint and I'll let the AGs office now that.  In the end, I'm so p*ssed about this (BTW- Comcast seems to think that "p*ssed" is a bad word that I shouldnt use in this post!!) that I may either spend a day in small claims court or even see if there is an attorney thinks there is a class action potential for this.  Has anyone here talked to an attorney about this?  It's a small fee, but the principal of the matter, that we can have these new and expensive TVs that wont work without paying a "service fee", is really something that bugs me... 

Regular Problem Solver

Comcast started charging for the DTAs last Decemeber after I took advantage of a promotional deal. Here are the changes with respect to the DTAs looked on my bill.

Before:
Digital Adapter (2 @$0.00 each) $0.00
CableCard $1.50
Customer Owned Equipment -$2.50
-------------------------------------------------
Total Bundled Services -$1.00

After:
Digital Adapter (3 @$1.99 each) $5.97
Total Bundled Services $5.97

I have two DTAs. I went from $0.00 to $3.98 for them.

I have a cable card tuner for my PC. I went from a $1.00 credit to a $1.99 charge.

Regular Contributor

You might want to get hold of the rate cards for your area and verify the cost of the cable card.
In my area the first cable card in a box is Free. 

Jess

MisterEd51 wrote:

Comcast started charging for the DTAs last Decemeber after I took advantage of a promotional deal. Here are the changes with respect to the DTAs looked on my bill.

Before:
Digital Adapter (2 @$0.00 each) $0.00
CableCard $1.50
Customer Owned Equipment -$2.50

Total Bundled Services -$1.00

After:
Digital Adapter (3 @$1.99 each) $5.97
Total Bundled Services $5.97

I have two DTAs. I went from $0.00 to $3.98 for them.

I have a cable card tuner for my PC. I went from a $1.00 credit to a $1.99 charge.

New Visitor
ccomunale

Just cancelled all comcast services. I'm sick and tired of being screwed by Comcast. First of all, I recall when I first got the digital converter box, the customer service rep said it was required because of FCC regulations and the digital conversion switch. This is flat out wrong. The digital converter boxes have nothing to do with the digital conversion switch that happened several years ago. I have a digital TV. I remember after the conversion, I was able to watch tv over coax. Comcast piggybacked on the digital conversion switch to encrypt their signal. At the time, I was promised by the comcast rep that boxes were free. I got two, just in case. One of them is still sitting in the box. Now comcast starts charging.

I talked to the rep today, he said they sent notice in our May bill. I looked in the May bill, where they basically included all billing for all comcast services. You would need a magnifying glass to pick out the digital converter box charges. 

So I'm happy to finally bid farwell to Comcast. They have screwed me over for the last time. Overpriced, underwhelming service; slow, inconsistent internet, and deceptive company, who's customer service is either drinking the kool aid, or flat out lying to consumers. This is a class action lawsuit waiting to happen!

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Big_Blue wrote:

Like several folks have noted, you can use a Ceton PCI card in a media server and an XBox (or other extender device) to view TV.  The Ceton card I use allows 4 TVs to view at once over the network and since we have a bunch of Xboxes around, this works well for us.  The server operates as a DVR, so you dont need the Comcast DVR either.  The only fee to Comcast is $1 per month for a Cablecard.

It counts as an outlet though.  If you already have a separate converter box then the CableCARD tuner requires an additional outlet charge.

On a side note, can anyone tell me if the remote controls have to be returned with the DTAs?  We lost one of the remotes.

Visitor

Not only are we being CHARGED for a digital adapter that was provided free ... those of us (most of us) already have Digital TV's and are charged for an adapter to receive a Digital signal that our TV sets can already receiver withou an adapter...  This looks like the makings for  a CLASS ACTION LAW SUITE!    COMCAST, do you hear us now????

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

[ Edited ]

The Limited basic that some people can still get with the quam tuner is quickly coming to an end as Comcast is finishing its encryption of ALL cable signals and a box of some type will be the ONLY way to recieve tv of any kind. So heres the deal pay for the devices to get tv or simply cancel tv and move on. All the screaming and threats to sue comcast is in vein the FCC has given comcast the green light to do as they please there is nothing illegal about charging for the dta's and no lawsuit is going to change that. Vote with your wallet and cancel there tv service and move on with your life. If i was a moderator here i would lock this thread. How long can you beat a dead horse.  :smileyplain:

Contributor
dartfever

Fair enough, but you are not the moderator and everyone is entitled to voice their opinion.  Despite what you may personally think, some good points have been brought up as alternatives.  I for one, appreciate the continuing dialog.  Best regards, Dana

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

Im with you i dont like the fact that comcast nickles and dimes everybody but they do and will continue to do until there cash supply is cut off. Then and only then will things start to change. Jim !!

Regular Problem Solver

It looks like in addition to each DTA requiring an outlet charge each customer owned tuner will also require an outlet charge.This probably includes TiVos and digital tv tuners for PCs.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

This is a placeholder for a post that was moved to a secure location because it violates the forum guidelines (language filter circumvention). http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Posting-Guidelines/td-p/866289

Regular Problem Solver

Here is a new annoyance. I had to call twice to get credit for being charged for a DTAs I didn't have. I got the credit but had to pay for two "Change of Service" fees for each call (2x$2.99).

Bronze Star Contributor

Call back and make them take this charge off. If it wasn't you changing anything and it was their mistake they shouldn't charge.
Recognized Contributor

I was charged the $2.99 service fee for them mailing me a new internet modem because they said my old one was being discontinued.  I called and reminded them that if ordered online, there was no charge so they removed it.  When I returned the old modem, they told me I could upgrade my service at a lower monthly cost and I said ok.  When I got home there was an email confirming the changes with the new monthly cost.  Six minutes later there was another email and the cost had gone up $5.  When comparing the 2 emails, 'someone' had added a $5 sports package to my account.  When I did the online chat to have the $5 package removed, they assumed I ordered it then changed my mind.  I told him the package was added after I left the store.  I finally got him to understand I didn't want it so he removed it.  When I checked my account the next day I had 2 new charges for $2.99 each for service fees, once for adding the sports package and again for removing it.  So on my 3rd online chat in 2 days I had to repeatedly tell them, I didn't make any changes and I wanted them removed.  They finally removed the fees.  Watch your bills carefully each and every month.

Regular Contributor

Comcast cast will continue to charge these fees becasue even tho a few complain think of all the customers who dont question the fee and pay the charge.  THis is an issue that needs to be complained about to the better business Bureau and the FCC.  Just another big RIP off.

Jess

New Visitor
lsw758

wont happen,first you wont get anyone on the phone that you can understand,like Mike from India

Regular Contributor

I returned the two adapters that we never used but they refused to credit the stealth charges from the last year, about $50 total.

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

QuatrixJ wrote:

I returned the two adapters that we never used but they refused to credit the stealth charges from the last year, about $50 total.

This is true people have to remember it dont matter if you ever used it, what matters is your account will be charged for the device the second it goes under your name.

Regular Contributor

Jim721 wrote:

This is true people have to remember it dont matter if you ever used it, what matters is your account will be charged for the device the second it goes under your name.

Not exactly -- the DTAs were initially free even though they were tied to our accounts, which is the whole point of this thread.

Visitor

After complaining about being charged for digital adapters...I started to ask question, and finally went to the Comcast store to have them explain what the Digital adapter was and found out that they, Comcast was charging me for something that I DID NOT HAVE, & NEVER did have  from them. They have alledgely backed out the charges from my bill.  

New Visitor
sy3321

Just to warn you-the Comcast folks don't even stand behind what is posted on their own web site:

www.comcast.com/digitaladapterinfo (this is regarding when your neighbohood has all of its 'over the air' channels encryped.)  Here is what it says on the web site:

What will the digital adapters cost?
Limited Basic customers who currently do not have equipment on their account are eligible for up to two (2) DTAs, at no charge for two (2) years (five years if you also receive Medicaid) if they request DTAs during the equipment offer period at or around the time of encryption.

Customers who subscribe to a higher level of service and receive Limited Basic service on a secondary TV without Comcast supplied equipment are eligible for one device at no charge for one year.

Yet 3 phone calls later, talking to a supervisor, etc, did no good.I was charged $15.00 for the self install kit, plus $1.99 recurring charge.  I even read the web site info to them.  They would not remove the charges!

This will be coming to your neighborhood soon.  Beware

New Visitor
hopem1946

The same has been done to me....did you get this resolved with comcast? If you did, how???

New Visitor
sy3321

Not yet-working on it.  I am very persistent.  If I get a resolution I will post it

New Visitor
sy3321

Wanted to let you know I got this resolved by contacting the BBB.  Just search for better Business Bureau in your search engine.  They make it pretty easy to fill out a complaint.  They credited my December charges and say I will continue to get the digital adapter free for one year-which is what their web site says.  Shouldn't have to go to the BBB to get them to pay attention, but at least they resolved it for me.  I'd encourage you to do the same.  Maybe the BBB will see the pattern.

Regular Problem Solver

According to the FCC the free DTA for one year has limitations. The clock starts the day Comcast starts encrypting your cable service. The free period ends one year later. In other words if you ask for a a DTA a year or more after they start encrypting your cable then they can start charging you $1.99 right away.

I got 2 free DTAs when Comcast started encrypting our cable. I had to pay $1.99 per month for each of them 1 year later.

Begin quote

If you need additional equipment due to encryption, you are entitled to free equipment for a limited time.

If, at the time your cable operator begins to encrypt, you subscribe...
to a level of service other than broadcast basic service but use a digital television to receive only the basic service tier without use of a set-top box or CableCARD.

Then you are entitled to...
a set-top box or CableCARD on one television set without charge or service fee for one year from the date your cable operator begins to encrypt.
End quote

Cable System Encryption
http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cable-system-encryption

Contributor

I also got this letter they have tried in the past to charge me $19.95 but as I look thru the bills I see thru out the years the price always changes, today the letter says digital additional outlet fee $9.95 but I have tivo so I really do not understand this charge, also in the past I was able to get a response to my issues now no one will answer at comcast and there is no way I will call again as most of you have stated when you call you get a different answer to the question every time you inquire. I have two tvs. and two tivos should I get this charge? if so there is no way I will pay $9.95 for the 5 min of tv before I fall asleep I really wish there was another option here in VA on this mountain. oh and I also see that there are different prices for some of you $1.99? how is it mine is so much more any thoughts?

Regular Contributor

If you have two tivos then the first conncection should be free.  For the second Tivo there would be a $9.95 digital connection charge.  How many cable cards are in each Tivo.  If more then one then Comcast could have it coded incorrectly.  Instead of as a second cable card in the same system it could be listed as a separate connection.  I really hate to give excuses for Comcast as they Screw up so often and dont seem to care wether they have it righ or not.

Jess

New Visitor
jeeque

After I realized that I was being charged for my digital adapters, I sent one back. I'm still being charged for it even though it was signed for when delivered. I also dropped my voice service and got an Ooma Telo instead, but kept my Blast internet. But now my Blast internet went from over 50mbs download to about 15mbs. Comcast sucks so bad. I'm ready to buy an antenna and shut off Comcast completely. It's obvious they don't give a ratsas because they will alway get away with being inept and crooked.

New Visitor
nickelanddimed

This morning woke up to no service on 2 TVs that had basic service. I called Comcast and told I was notified previously of the change....ok maybe so, but I don't have any record.

So now my 2.00 upgrade ( during promotion ) is costing 10.00 for HD service and 4.oo / mo for new adapters. Enough already! I offered to keep my existing services for no charge adapters.  Comcast would rather lose ~55.00 / mo rather than providing the adapters free of charge.

I cut the TV cord and downgraded internet speed for 55.00 less than what I was paying.

Comcast seemed content with  cutting the service and I definitely am.

Tired of being nickel and dimed.

New Visitor
thatran

Same here.  I just noticed today that I am being charged for a digital adapter that I was given for free when I ordered my cable service with Comcast in 2011.  I never needed, requested, activated, nor used this free digital adapter.  The thing was given to me along with the other cable boxes that were what I actually needed/used.  This was in 2011.  I called them today and asked them when they started charging me for this digital adapter (which I no longer have (I got rid of it because it was just taking up space)).  They said Feb 2014.  I told them I didn't have they box anymore, that it was given to me for free, and that it makes zero sense to charge me for something I never requested/activated/used.  They said it is comcast equipment, so I need to return it in order for the recurring monthly charges on the digital adapter to stop.  Ridiculous.  The only other option they gave me was to bill me for the cost of the box which they said is $50.  Again, ridiculous.  This has got be illegal, especially in CA.  I'm going to file a complaint with every agency I can think of and am also completely leaving Comcast for another provider (any other provider).  It's the principal.  Who the he!! gives something to someone when that someone never asked for/needed it and then starts charging them monthly for it 3 years later and saying the equipment is still theirs and they want it back or they are making you responsible for the full price of it?  This is stupid and wrong on every level.

Regular Problem Solver

You have to be kidding. Comcast never gives anything away for free. The digital adapters (DTA) from the very beginning were sent to you for lease. You were not charged at first because Comcast and the FCC had it worked out that you were not charged the first year or two. After that Comcast could start charging you at any time.

I don't understand how you could have missed it. Don't you ever look at your bill? For example if you have two digital adapters you will see this on your bill:

Additional XFINITY TV Services
Additional Outlet Svc         3.98
Digital Adapter 2@$1.99 each

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

MisterEd51 wrote:

You have to be kidding. Comcast never gives anything away for free. The digital adapters (DTA) from the very beginning were sent to you for lease. You were not charged at first because Comcast and the FCC had it worked out that you were not charged the first year or two. After that Comcast could start charging you at any time.

I don't understand how you could have missed it. Don't you ever look at your bill? For example if you have two digital adapters you will see this on your bill:

Additional XFINITY TV Services
Additional Outlet Svc         3.98
Digital Adapter 2@$1.99 each

Also customers need to understand just because they dont activate a device does not mean you will not get charged for it. The day it's added to the account activated or not it will start the rental fee.