Visitor
Ryank236

Failed self installation kit charge?

I just checked my latest bill and I have two charges under "other"

Failed CHSI SiK for 50

Failed Video SiK for 25.

I was told that since service was already active at my new apartment, I can just take the self install kit and set up cable and internet by myself. Great I don't have to pay installation fees.

I got home, nothing worked, so I returned the box, and they gave me a new one, mentioning that sometimes there are bad boxes. Still had no luck getting it to work, so they sent a tech guy and told me I would be charged $50 if the problem is on my end.

It turns out the service was never "on" at my apartment. Tech guy went outside, flipped a switch, and everything worked.

Can they charge me for this? There's is no way I could have known the service was not on, especially after I was told it was. Secondly, that's not a problem on my end. I can't just walk outside and flip the service switch on.

I've called billing and the lady said she would escalate it to her manager, but I don't think she gets the situation. She thinks its my fault that I couldn't get the self install kit to work.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Re: Failed self installation kit charge?

You should not be charged for a tech to flip the switch.

That is a part of the Comcast network, something you would never mess with.

Click the Customer Guarantee link in my post. Read #3. Call Comcast again, read that to whoever you talk to, tell them it is a part of the Comcast network and to remove the tech service charge.

If you have any problems getting it removed, post back here and someone can escalate this to the forum administrator or tell you who to contact.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Visitor
Ryank236

Thank you. I will call and let  you know how it goes.

Visitor
Ryank236

Queen Evie, I was not able to convince billing to take off the charges. Their argument is I should know whether the service is on at my apartment or not and hence it is my fault that I could not get the self installation kit to work.(Despite the fact that I was told service was on and it would be an easy installation by the local office)

Can you escalate this issue? Thank you.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

To get help, you can drop a note to Comcast corporate customer service (we_can_help@cable.comcast.com).

For the quickest response, please include:
Your full name;
Service address;
Phone number & an alternate number if possible;
Account number;
A link to your post.

Or you can ask for help in the Broadband Reports Comcast Direct Forum or via Twitter.

New Visitor
aohoewhf

I've received this charge too and it's the biggest bunch of garbage ever. I'm cancelling my service. It is stunning to me how you continue to outdo yoursevles in screwing over your customers. Die.

New Visitor
MikeWu

Is this failed silk video  a recurring charge? i got charged 35 bucks for it also.

New Visitor
jimtan

I was charged for this fee too, and it was the same situation as Ryank236

New Visitor
louise344

We got into the same problem too and we are charged $40 for Failed CHSI Sik. Anyone has any luck to have the problem solved?

New Visitor
Dantana317

So I received the same charge. I was looking online for an explanation and found this forum. I know without a shadow of doubt that my connection worked because I was able to get my Internet modem to work and set-up my online account using the internet connection established from this connection point etc. So I am posting her to show and elevate this complaint about this Failed Video SIK charge. Wish me luck, calling billing customer service now and will post a follow up. After reading these posts this should be interesting.

Bronze Problem Solver
John3758

Failed SIKs charges are used when you do a self install kit and need a tech to come out because you cannot install it yourself. Yes the agents should be telling you of the charge when scheduling the visit, but lots of customers don't want to hear that there would be a charge so the agent doesn't even mention it to just get off the phone.

New Visitor
Dantana317

Follow up on my previous post.
I Called and got the credit for this charge. I explained that this is the responsibility of Comcast because I couldn't access the outside box and it was fixed.
Visitor
neurotx

I have a similar situation. We installed everything properly (I was a technician for a living) their equipment failed and I am being charged $50 for a lazy tech that came to my house on a Sunday, told me everything I did was correct, everything on our end was fine, and that their equipment was defective. He then did his paperwork wrong because he was in a hurry to leave and I get stuck with a bogus bill for faulty equipment that I'm not allowed to touch or repair. It was not failed video sik, I did everything right. I installed it, it just didnt work. It was their equipment that failed and Comcast has lazy techs that fill out their paperwork wrong. We will cancel our service promptly, this is very underhanded and shady business practices from Comcast.
Email Expert
CCCarole

neurotx wrote:
I have a similar situation. We installed everything properly (I was a technician for a living) their equipment failed and I am being charged $50 for a lazy tech that came to my house on a Sunday, told me everything I did was correct, everything on our end was fine, and that their equipment was defective. He then did his paperwork wrong because he was in a hurry to leave and I get stuck with a bogus bill for faulty equipment that I'm not allowed to touch or repair. It was not failed video sik, I did everything right. I installed it, it just didnt work. It was their equipment that failed and Comcast has lazy techs that fill out their paperwork wrong. We will cancel our service promptly, this is very underhanded and shady business practices from Comcast.

Did you call 1-800 Comcast Billing Departmernt about it? 

Here is a link to the Comcast Guarantee: 

http://www.comcast.com/corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html

Read Number THREE in particular.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.