New Visitor
brandon9001

False Returned Check Fee

Comcast customer service has been by far the most horrendous customer service of any company I have dealt with so far.  I'm putting this out here to see if anyone has heard of this happening or had it happen to them.

I always pay my Comcast bill online with electronic check.  You type in your routing and account number..blah blah 2-3 business days it comes out of the account.  I have done this since October of 2010 with absolutely no issues.  I usually don't check my banking to see if the payment has went through there because I check the Comcast balance, I know my checking has available funds, so I check the Comcast balance to make sure it has zeroed.  When my next bill comes I have a charge for RETURNED CHECK FEE, and LATE FEE ADJUSTMENT.

There were available funds in my account during the entire month, and Comcast's payment is nowhere to be found on my bank statement, nor is any overdraft fees.  I contact Comcast, who refers me to my bank.  I go to my bank and they research my account with no finding of Comcast even trying to present a collection from my account for payment.  There were no overdrafts and they also ensured sufficient funds were there if Comcast had sent for payment.

I asked Customer service if they could verify my bank account number for this payment to ensure I had entered it correctly.  (The confirmation email only shows the last four digits, which are correct).  I work with numbers all day and I know my accounts by heart, I doubt I would type in MY checking account wrong TWICE because it has to be confirmed a second time.  They told me none of that is stored, and they do not have access to it.  The agent creates a "ticket" for it to be looked into further, and I'm told I should be contacted within 24-48 hours.  After 3 days with no contact I contact again to be informed my ticket was "escalated" and I should be contacted within 7-10 business days.  It's now been 3 weeks.  Really people?  If I ever get these bogus charges removed I'm dropping Comcast immediately.

New Visitor
ResQme

Re: False Returned Check Fee

I encountered a similar problem this month.  Comcast deactivated my account for non-payment.  When I checked, I had made an online payment and actually had an $8 credit.  What happened was I entered an incorrect routing number when I was making my online check payment.  The incorrect entry was caught right away and I got an error message saying I entered an incorrect routing number.  So I just re-entered the correct number and the payment went through and I thought nothing more of it.  A week later is when I found out that Comcast charged me insufficient funds fee of $25 for this typo (which the program caught right away so it shouldn't even have gone through. Comcast deactivated my account and insisted I pay by credit card over the phone to reactivate my account (which I did).  So now I'm way overpaid because of their system's (intentional?) bug.  They refunded me my insufficient funds fee but I'm still overpaid and I could've used that money to pay other bills.

I'm thinking of reporting this "glitch" to state or federal authorities but not sure who to write to.  State Attorney General?  Consumer Affairs?

Email Expert
CCCarole

ResQme wrote:

I encountered a similar problem this month.  Comcast deactivated my account for non-payment.  When I checked, I had made an online payment and actually had an $8 credit.  What happened was I entered an incorrect routing number when I was making my online check payment.  The incorrect entry was caught right away and I got an error message saying I entered an incorrect routing number.  So I just re-entered the correct number and the payment went through and I thought nothing more of it.  A week later is when I found out that Comcast charged me insufficient funds fee of $25 for this typo (which the program caught right away so it shouldn't even have gone through. Comcast deactivated my account and insisted I pay by credit card over the phone to reactivate my account (which I did).  So now I'm way overpaid because of their system's (intentional?) bug.  They refunded me my insufficient funds fee but I'm still overpaid and I could've used that money to pay other bills.

I'm thinking of reporting this "glitch" to state or federal authorities but not sure who to write to.  State Attorney General?  Consumer Affairs?

I have escalted this to the Administrator.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Administrator
ComcastLarry

-

A ticket has been setup to look into this issue for you.

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
New Visitor
luvsammy4life

I had the same issues with comcast, made payment online, after a week I received a letter stating that my check was returned and they charge me a fee of $30. So I was very mad, because I had my check in front of me when I input my account number and I paid another online bill as well, I am very certain that I did not made error, even if I did it will be caught by the system. Anyway I called my bank, no traces of comcast trying to take out fund. So I waited till following monday to call comcast, to cut the story short, I get a $30 credit towards my account.

Comcast new style in ripping people off, imagine how many people will believe this bogus charges and go ahead and pay.

New Visitor
Kelly121

I just spent three hours (on my birthday no less, which is why I had taken the day off) straightening out Comcast's mistake. I too received a notice that my check had been returned for Non Sufficient Funds and that I would be charged a $30.00 fee. My billing had been so messed up since I started with Comcast that I owed less than $33.00 last month and paid it online. I did not pay with a check, so there is no way my check could have been returned. I got the "you're a loser and we're cutting off your cable" letter on Saturday. I spend over an hour on the phone with customer service. At one point the agent said, "I'm sorry you are having financial difficulties but this is your responsibility." She was completely oblivious to the fact that I was tell her I had ample money to cover the charge and that I could see no attempt by Comcast to debit my account. After I said it three times I was told, "That is simply not possible. Your check was returned." Gah! I asked to speak with a supervisor. I was put on hold and then the same woman, Hannah, came back and told me she was the supervisor. I wanted to scream but I finally just said, "You are not listening to me and I am getting no where with you."

I went to my bank this morning to ask them for a letter stating my account at no time has been overdrawn. Wells Fargo found the error. On the date in question, Comcast had posted a transaction to my bank account and did not include a dollar amount so it was declined. The helpful banker printed out a statement with all kinds of transaction numbers and I took that to my local Comcast office. Guess what? If you ask for no dollars, you get no dollars! I received a sincere apology from the Comcast clerk and 4 coupons for free movie downloads. What still tweaks me out a little was that is is apparently happening to others and I was told there was no other explanation other than I didn't have the money. 1. There's always another possibly explanation. 2. It was 100% Comcast's fault and cost me a total of 4 hours of my life! 

New Visitor
krislen

This seems to be a recurring thing with Comcast recently and I am glad to see that I am not the only one that has experienced this.  I always make my payments on time and in fact, always early and I made my payment online on 7/31/11 and received my confirmation number.  On 8/8/11, I received a call from my husband saying our service is not working so I called and apparently my service was SHUT OFF for non-payment!!   I don't know if I am frustrated more that they didn't notify me that they payment did not go through or that they just shut off service 5 days later.  I was told that it was insuffient funds and that I needed to go down to the Comcast office and show them that I had money in my account at the time.  I printed out my statement and then went to the bank and they have no signs of the payment gettng processed.  I then took my lunch hour to spend it at Comcast for them to tell me that it was returned for an incorrect account number so I guess it was entered incorrectly??? I never needed to go down to the office to show anything.  I have never done that before and I am so upset that I was not notified by email or phone call and to just shut off my service after 5 days.  What happened to GRACE PERIODS.   Apparently, since I get the Triple Pay and pay $184 a month for what I expect to be good service that I am punished because the system thinks it's a high balance and shut me off automatically!   The absurd thing is that they are charging me a $15 reactivation fee!!!   After leaving the Comcast office upset I am now waiting to see if Accounting will waive the $15 activation fee and from what they tell me that I have to eat the $25 fee.   As I am reading these postings I wonder how acurate this NSF is and if that was really the case.  Thankfully I have only two months left of this agreement and from what I feel right now, they are going to be losing a good customer!  It seems like it's way to easy for them to lump you in with the check bouncers and the no paying customers.  Customer service at it's best.  

New Visitor
gc1warrior

Yeah, its happening to me as I type. I had been a happy customer with verizon internet when I received an offer from comcast. 19.99 for the first 12 months and then 34.99 for the second 12 months. Well I paid online the first 5 months without a hitch. So I thought. That 5th payment was never submitted to the bank and they hit me with a returned check fee took away the promotion they offered and hit me with all kinds of fees . I can not believe that they really do things like this. I'm beside myself. I guess its going to be a lesson well learned and I'll never ever be a comcast customer again if they don't make this right. BBB will be getting a full disclosure as well. And whatever else I can do to help prevent this from happening to anyone else.

Email Expert
CCCarole
New Visitor
jsbrad27

This happened to me.  I normally pay through my bank bill payer option.  Since my bill payer was down when I went to pay my cable bill, I logged on to Comcast and entered my checking account information.   A week and a half later, I get a letter from Comcast saying that the account number did not exist or there was insufficient funds.  I knew there was money in the account and I thought I recalled entering the bank numbers twice.  I find it hard to believe that I would enter the incorrect account number, the exact same way, twice!

I called Comcast and asked them to verify what routing and account numbers I entered since I knew funds were not the issue.  They could not tell me the numbers I entered.  They assured me that since this had never happened with me in the past, they would remove the $25 fee.  Fast forward to today.  I get an email bill notice.  It not only has the current charges and the amount that I paid BEFORE the billing date, but the $25 fee again.  

I called and the customer rep was focused on selling me more services.  After being put on hold three times, the rep comes back and says that I entered the wrong account number 2 and a half years ago, so they cannot credit the $25 charge.  I could find no indication in my check register of a late payment.  IF it happened, it was through their on-line pay service which I have used 2 times in the past 2 1/2 years.  

Since I am enrolled in eco-billing, I am unable to bring up the bill from March 2011.  Same with my on-line banking.  I cannot bring up anything more than 2 years prior.   

Today, I went into all of my bills and bank accounts and changed to have hard copies mailed to my home opposed to the eco-friendly billing option.  I will go back to keeping paper statements that I can pull up when needed.  I will NEVER use Comcast's online payment option again. 

Personally, I think this is a scam.  I am looking into other options to Comcast at this time.  Hulu looks like a possibility.  

New Visitor
CJandCT

I am so frustrated.  This is now the second time this has happened to us.  My service was suspended yesterday, 8/7/13.  They said my payment that I made on 8/1/13 was returned 8/6 for non-sufficient funds.  My credit union says they have no record of the payment request, and there is plenty of money in my account. 

I spent an hour on the phone yesterday with various Comcast representatives, and was told because my payment was returned NSF, I would have to make a payment in cash at an office.

This is what we did last time this happened, and we paid the associated fees and reconnection fees, despite the fact that I argued about the fact I should not have any additional fees.  AND THEN A WEEK LATER THE ORIGINAL PAYMENT CAME OUT OF MY ACCOUNT!  I ended up with a credit, but was out money for that month that I needed for other purposes.

I actually just tried to cancel my service, and they won't let me cancel it until I make a payment.

I can't seem to get anyone at Comcast to look into this, they won't help me research the payment issues.  They just keep charging fees and disconnecting my service.

I have called the Better Business Bureau and am awaiting a phone call back from a representative. I am hoping that this can be resolved.

New Visitor
Skipper1904

Yeah... I tried cancelling to go to Dish and it was basically like arguring with a Toddler. Tantrums, raising of the voices and "you're stupid" tones from the comcast employee. I couldn't cancel without making another payment that I didnt have because my husband had just been medically released from the USMC due to injuries sustained overseas and we hadn't received the VA payment yet. I asked if there were any military discounts, programs, etc to help these type of situations, and the lady said "NOPE! You should just pay your bill." I wanted to speak with a Manager and was also put on hold only to have the same woman come back on the line saying "Hello, I'm the Manager." I said "YOU ARE THE SAME WOMAN I WAS TALKING TO!" She said, "yes, and I am the manager." SO WHAT WAS THE HOLD FOR?!?! I get that we are responsible for our bills, but life happens and when my husband gets hurt defending YOUR right to be a jerk to me because I'm behind on a bill, it ruffles my feathers to no end!

Not to mention some of the reps have a hard enough time mastering the english language let alone providing customer service.  Talking to these people via chat or phone is like talking to a spoon. It truly gets you nowhere. 

New Visitor
chelseaa

This same thing happened to me. Not only did they charge me a returned check fee, but they did not notify me that the check was returned until they sent an e-mail saying that I had an overdue payment!

I called the bank - they have no record of the payment being attempted to be made. And I KNOW I put the account numbers in correctly. They won't even allow me to verify that the numbers are correct, they say it's my fault either way.

Even if I did type in one wrong number, its good customer service to give your customers the benefit of the doubt that it was an honest mistake and to remove the charges.