New Visitor
Arod412

** HD Technology Fee charged for Digital preferred TV service

I'm looking at my Bill and it has this $9.99 fee which sounds expensive considering that the Digital prefered plan already includes charges for the cable box. 

The Digital prefered box includes HD channels, so why would i be charged for extra services if it's already included.

Can someone explain this extra fee? I contacted Verizon and their Prefered service which includes HD channels do not charge an extra $10 for HD service if it's part of the plan

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

Re: ** HD Technology Fee charged for Digital preferred TV service

Plans with HD in the title include HD e.g. HD preferred plus xf

New Visitor
Arod412

Like the link below....Digital prefered is the section that is highlighed in blue....yet i get charged extra?

https://www.comcast.com/ChannelLineup-Popup.aspx?OfferId=200019

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

[ Edited ]

if you have hd you pay the hd technology fee, eveyone pays that unless you are in a promotion and its part of the promo.   the fee is a once a month fee and covers all the hd in your home no matter how many.    digital preferred is the level of service you have,  it says you can get those hd channels but to get them you need to pay the hd technology fee.  you also pay for the rental of the box.  

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Hello,

If you have the triple play package there is no hd technololy fee.

New Visitor
Arod412

That doesn't answer my question...Digital prefered includes HD channels. I have a plan that has HD channels, therefore thats why i have an HD box.

If i ordered a lesser plan that does not include HD channels, then i understand. makes sense?

Official Employee
ComcastNick

Digital Preferred includes channels that have HD versions.  To get the HD versions of those channels, there is a charge for the HD service.  That charge is built in to some Triple Plays, but it is not part of the Digital Preferred package on its own.

Comcast Nick
APSC Supervisor
Contributor
DimitraSIG

I have BOTH triple play and the fee

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

Only packages that have "HD" in the title include HD.  So if you have triple play or triple bypass, if it doesn't have HD in the title it doesn't include HD in the price.

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

The pricing  makes the sweet spot if you are up in the Preferred area of tiers be something like HD Preferred plus  XF (triple play), which has 2 premiums + HD + preferred at one price that is quite a bit lower than Preferred + HD + 2 premiums individually.

New Visitor
Arod412

Sooo......your saying that they are using false advertising?

Doesnt make sense....If you don't have HD (or didnt request it), then why charge for it or even offer it if it's not in your plan? You feel me? I didn't ask for the HD box...it was given to me. Thats a comcast issue.

This can easy be fixed by switching to verizon. I called them and they don't have any extra charges for HD plans even if you don't ask for it.

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

I really think a better simpler pricing and bundling is the way Cox in San Diego does bundles

(I don't live there so I can't get it)  http://ww2.cox.com/residential/sandiego/bundles.cox?campcode=gn_r_bundles_z

Lots of people are not interested in landline phones anymore, and want high speed internet.

They like some TV, but not every kind of TV, etc.

Cox lets you pick your own tier of internet, phone and TV, 1, 2 or 3 services.

The TV lets you have either tiers or packs of channels like movies, news, sports, family.

I think Comcast tried this pack thing in one test market before.

So one can pick a fast internet + a medium TV and a basic phone if they want and get a bundle at Cox.

Now I would add a discount based on the number of services or the total price to give a quantity discount, e.g. 10% off for 2 services, 15 % of for 3.

This would be much simple than the bizzare set of prices and packages at Comcast.

One can get Blast Plus Economy TV, with no TBS or MSNBC, but one can only get Performance Internet + Preferred TV,  to get a good package with Blast needs to go up to around HD triple play preferred plus, which has a phone with full features. 

A simple pricing scheme that lets one pick features and raises the discount for more total features would give customer choice + good pricing + an incentive to bundle services that seems to be the goal.

Contributor
DimitraSIG

"The pricing makes the sweet spot if you are up in the Preferred area of tiers be something like HD Preferred plus XF (triple play), which has 2 premiums + HD + preferred at one price that is quite a bit lower than Preferred + HD + 2 premiums individually."

THIS EXPLANATION IS JUST AS CONFUSING AS COMCAST'S BILLING.

HERE IS MY CONFUSING BILL--ps, I have three TVs:

Preferred XF Triple Play 02/02 - 03/01 124.99

12 Month Promotion Includes:

Digital Preferred with

Video On Demand

(Includes:

Limited Basic

1 Digital Converter @ $2.15

1 Remote Control @ $0.20)

High-Speed Internet

Digital Voice Unlimited

Your promotion ends on 06/01/13

Total XFINITY Bundled Services $124.99

Additional XFINITY TV Services

HD Technology Fee 02/02 - 03/01 9.95

HD Additional Outlet 02/02 - 03/01 19.90

Service

Includes:

1 Digital Converter @ $2.15

1 Remote Control @ $.20

2 @$9.95 each

HD Digital Converter 02/02 - 03/01 0.00

Replaces Standard Definition Digital Converter For

Primary Outlet.

Service Protection Plan 02/02 - 03/01 3.95

Signature Support

Inside home wiring protection for your cable TV,

Contributor
DimitraSIG

[ Edited ]

and all that confusion I just posted is what caused me to Defect back to DirectTV.  Thought I was getting a better deal with Comcast bundle when I left DirectTV---should've just stayed with them

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

If you dont want hd take your box back to comcast and get a digital only box and then you will not have to pay the hd fee. 

Contributor
DimitraSIG

I replaced Comcast TV with DirectTV -- all three Comcast boxes, their remote controls and the modem is going back. I bought my own modem for the internet

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

I think they want HD, but do not want to pay for it.  Anyone with a modern TV who pays for a high tier wants HD right?

Most people with such a plan and 3 boxes,  you do have 3 boxes, it says 2 additional + 1 included right?

The HD tech fee includes box 1, and gives you HD on all boxes.  You have $10 for HD tech (and box 1) +

20 for 2 more HD boxes.

New Visitor
Arod412

Billing is just horrendous....i'm looking at mine....and i see 2 charges for NJ tax... then you would think that some of the servies for any of the plans should include the hardware...but that's a seperate fee (so that makes you wonder, what are they charging for content)...which isn't disclosed at the time of signing...and all of the false advertizing of the low bundle plans but when you go through the quote process, its at least $30-40 more than advertised. 

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CGAQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2F...

Its $20 more for HD preferred plus triple play either on promotion or regular, and you get the HD fee + comcast + starz + blast internet.

Since you have HD that means it is only $10 extra to get HBO Starz + Blast internet speed.

So that is the best package for someone who wants HD.

Official Employee
ComcastNick

DimitraSIG wrote:

"The pricing makes the sweet spot if you are up in the Preferred area of tiers be something like HD Preferred plus XF (triple play), which has 2 premiums + HD + preferred at one price that is quite a bit lower than Preferred + HD + 2 premiums individually."

THIS EXPLANATION IS JUST AS CONFUSING AS COMCAST'S BILLING.

HERE IS MY CONFUSING BILL--ps, I have three TVs:

You have

Digital Preferred Triple play.  TV, Internet and Phone.  HD is NOT included with this Triple Play.

In addition to the Triple play you have.

HD service, 2 additional boxes, Service Protection Plan, and it looks like Xfinity Signature Support.

If you do not have a HD TV, or you are not using a HD connection, then you can call in and have the HD service removed, which would lower your bill by $9.95/mo.  If however you are using a HD TV with a HD connection, then if you remove the HD service you would need to switch over to a SD cable connection.

Comcast Nick
APSC Supervisor
New Visitor
Arod412

Not even interested in upgrading to anything else...I'm happy with the basics.... just have the extra channels for the kiddies like nick jr...nothing fancy.

besides...$20 here...$10 there....$5 for equipment...all that adds up....

But it's not cool when i'm getting charge for extra something that is already part of my plan. HD is already part of the Digital prefered. 

It's kinda like saying....here is a new car..fancy radio...sun roof...leather seat.... but you know heating and AC is part of it, yet in the fine print, they charge you extra for it. 

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

I picked HD pref plus mostly to get the faster internet for nextflix, and because HD is not part of pref.  Before I had pref and paid the extra $10.  When I got triple play I wanted blast internet and so I picked pref plus since that had blast internet + HD

So the relative  costs are like this

-10  no HD, not really reasonable with modern TV

0   HD (where you are)

+10$  HD, Starz, HBO , Blast internet min 25 mbps, 30mbps bursts, or 50mbps in some east coast cities.

New Visitor
Arod412

There is no way that for an extra $10 you can get HD, HBO and Starz.

But in any case it doesn't matter because i don't want those worthless channels that only repeat the same movies, over and over.

Why are there hidden fees? It's just insaine how comcast operates....i'm calling verizon... and getting their HD service, internet and their basic plan includes HD and internet for under $100

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

You really get HD, HBO and Starz and Blast internet for only $10 extra.

The pricing tiers are like that.

New Visitor
Arod412

hahaha....verizon has it all for under $100. Their plans are so much better. Even the Double play is under $80 and it includes HBO, STARZ, free wireless router, and HD is included.

http://www22.verizon.com/home/bundles/fios/

much better deal, and more bang for your buck.

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

See take  $159- ($139+$10=$149) = $10

You get  Digital Preferred HD fee HBO Starz Blast for $10

New Visitor
Arod412

Just to clarify, i'm not against Comcast....i've been a loyal customer for over 10 years....the problem with them is the sneaky fees and equipment that was thought to be included with their service, but they decide to charge us for it and other things.

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

FIOS is all fibre optic, so if you have FIOS you should get that I guess.

New Visitor
Arod412

???

Still havent convined me.  Here is an article......

http://www.moneycrashers.com/comcast-xfinity-vs-verizon-fios/

On verizon's website...you can get their triple play higher bandwith for internet... and still pay $115. 

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

Ok go with verizon then, it looks like it wins.  After you get it setup, you can report back on what the experience was, and if there are any hidden fees there and so on.

I guess competition is the american way.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

thats just a teaser rate, when thats over you will be paying the same you pay here.

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

It says on their web site you can get that rate with 50mbps internet locked for 2 years, then it goes up $30, but there is no contract for that higher rate.  YOu can also get the low rate month to month for 1 year.

You get some visa gift card promotion like comcast has for new customers.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21406752-Did-your-Fios-Equipment-Charges-go-up

Stil $99 for HD pref  with 50Mbps internet make switching make sense for 2 years at least.

I guess this person has 3 boxes so it will be another $30 for set top hd boxes, dvrs are around $15.

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

So  I think this person will pay $135-$140 a month but will get gift card back which saves about $10 if we amortize it over 24 months.

I think they save 20 to 30 dollars a month for switching and get 50mbps, its about $500 over 2 years.

New Visitor
Arod412

well if you are drolling over the contracted rates that comcast provide....thats pretty bad because contract rates are never what they advertized. My question now is where do you come up with $135-$140 a month? Thats is such a low number and can't be achieved with the triple play for all the bells and whistle for 2-3 tv's.

Do you realize that there is a disclaimer that its only for the first 3 months right? What is comcast real monthly charge?

Go to verizon.com and do a comparison, so don't just show me comcast rate...so me both of them.

Again....this still goes back to the initial problem with hidden fees which you can clearly see by this forum that people have a big problem with comcast. 

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

I think you will pay $135 to $140 a month at Verizon for their $99 play after you also pay the 30 for 3 set top boxes a month and if you factor in the fees and subtract the promotional gift card divided by 24 months.

That is my guess of your actual Verizon price.  So you don't get upset that Verizon will charge you more than $99 a month.  

No way to get that at Comcast and no way to get 50mbps at that kind of price.

So you should switch to Verizon

New Visitor
Arod412

[ Edited ]

wow....that is your answer...while you keep promoting that $139,99 doesn't include equipment, tax, fees, and contract? Your numbers are inaccurate and i continue to prove it yet you disreguard my evidence. Your completly inaccurate.

Cjerian......so convince me why i should stay with comcast? 

In any case...back to the real reason. why does comcast advertise HD channels for a non HD plan when you have to pay extra for them? Scam maybe?

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

I think I said that $99 at verizon doesn't include equipment, fees and taxes,

and that at verizon you would pay around $140, but would get a gift card back on your new 2 year contract,

or no gift card with no contract.

That the total price considering the gift card and those fees would still be less than comcast,

so there is no reason to stay with comcast, and you should switch to verizon.

Since the verizon base of $99 << comcast base of $139

and both have fees for equipment that are about $30 and both have taxes, you will save money with verizon.

So switch to verizon.

I'm not trying to convince you to stay at all.

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

Here is the full pricing where I live, from the site that it offered me, this is different than you get,

and the breaks now are different than when I ordered a few months ago. Starter is a very bad deal and for 10 dollars more there is HD pref plus which says HD and has lots more channels and HD the blast+hbo+starz +streampix is 20 more than that. These are the full prices with no contract.

Screen Shot 2013 02 06 at 12 19 19 PM
upload pics

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

It might be a pricing experiment or dynamic pricing where you try out different prices and packages to see what people will buy.  Sometimes you offer HD Preferred and sometimes not HD Preferred.

These current prices really make Starter way to expensive,  and make HD Preferred reasonably priced.

For people who want more internet they end up also getting more stuff HBO Starz Blast + Streampix for $20 more.

Sometimes they might offer Preferred Triple Play (no HD)
 in the bundle instead,  sometimes the gaps are 20 10 instead of 10 20

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

In fact with today's random pricing for me, HD Starter Starter + HD

costs the same as HD Preferred

Regular Contributor
ERIC8585

Not true. When I didn't have a Comcast HD box I could still get HD channels without paying an HD technology fee.
New Visitor
bdjenkin

[ Edited ]
Comcast has mastered the art of chiseling people's money away.
New Visitor
Des982

[ Edited ]

The Digital preferred triple play does not include HD.  HD preferred triple play does include HD and does not charge the fee since HD is already included as the plan costs more.  Digital gives you digital channels.  The HD fee gives you the same channels but in HD form.  HGTV vs. HGTVHD.