Contributor
eastbayuser
Accepted Solution

I have "High Speed Internet" yet there is no definition online or invoice....WHY?

Nowhere online or on my billing invoice can I find the category for "high Speed Internet" or s definition as to what this service should offer or supply me..

I am charged $46.95 a month and there are no promos applicable.

Should I just go down the packages they offer online and find the one that they are charging $46.95 and just assume that is what I am paying for? If I do the only plan I can find says I should be getting  Mbps download and the speed testing constantly shows a range between 1.40 and 2.61. Not even close to the price plan that matches what I am paying for.

THREE Questions: 

1) why does Comcast not supply this info. to customers anywhere online or in writing on the bill?

2)  What is the service "high speed internet " ? And what are the speeds that should be expected for the plan.?

3) Does anyone else have this "plan" and have the same question?  Or know the answer?

I appreciate And thank you in advance for anyone offering the suggestion of calling customer service or searching the forums but THAT is not the point and that is not what a customer should have to do to know what they are paying for! Maybe Comcast can post the answer here

Thank you

Contributor
eastbayuser

Re: What level of internet service is "High-Speed Internet"?

Thank you for the info. but nothing listed fits my situation.

On my bill it states I  subscribe to "High Speed Internet" and the monthly fee is $46.95. I am not on any promotional plan.

Nowhere online can I find the category for "high Speed Internet". Should I just go down the packages they offer online and find the one that they are charging $46.95 and just assume that is what I am paying for?

Because if I do that the only plan I can find says I should be getting  20mbps download and the speed testing constantly shows a range between 1.40 and 2.61. Not even close to the price plan that matches what I am paying for.

No where on my bill is my internet package explained as to what should be expected regarding the speed ect. and nowhere online can I find the service I am paying for called  "HIGH SPEED INTERNET"?

I too am confused why Comcast is hiding this info. and not letting their customer know what service they are getting or paying for .

And thank you in advance for anyone offering the suggestion of calling customer service or searching the forums THAT is not the point and that is not what a customer should have to do to know what they are paying for!

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Re: What level of internet service is "High-Speed Internet"?

Recently noticed that Economy speed was increased to 3 Mbps download with the Upload speed now aroun 756K.

At least I pay for that level, and my bill states Economy Internet, and those are the new speeds for me.

Call to Comcast verified the change. Small rate increase earlier this year of $3 range for the Internet service bundled with Limited Basic.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Re: I have "High Speed Internet" yet there is no definition online or invoi

[ Edited ]

Comcast internet service is actually broadband. 

Broadband, as defined by the FCC, is anything other than dial up internet. The term high speed  internet is a generic term that came into use because the speed is  faster than dial up.  It is not a separate service or speed tier. DSL and FIOS are also considered high speed internet. Other cable companies have high speed internet. 

What you are paying for is a certain level or tier of high speed internet service, which in your case would whatever tier is $46.95. Speed is determined by whatever tier you are subscribed to.

eastbayuser wrote:

3) Does anyone else have this "plan"

Yes, because every Comcast internet customer has high speed internet. Again, the plan depends on the level subscribed to.

When you see the term on your bill it is there simply to let you, as an internet customer, know what service you are being charged for.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Contributor
eastbayuser

Re: I have "High Speed Internet" yet there is no definition online or invoice

Thank you but II think my question was taken a bit literally?

_____________________________--

"The term high speed  internet is a generic term that came into use because the speed is  faster than dial up.  It is not a separate service or speed tier."

"What you are paying for is a certain level or tier of high speed internet service, which in your case would whatever tier is $46.95. Speed is determined by whatever tier you are subscribed to."

Why would they use a generic term to explain what service or speed tier I am paying for? If I am paying for a specific service or speed tier I would think it should be listed.

Basically how do I find out what my service includes and what speed or tier does my generic high speed internet connection provide when I pay Comcast my $46.95 ? 

Why doesn't Comcast provide me that information or offer that information anywhere online? If there are different TIERS or speeds should they replace that GENERIC term with a specific term  according to what the customer is paying for?

I am just having trouble understanding the vagueness of the billing especially when pointed out that Comcast is using basic generic terms to describe a specific service. If I am missing the information on my bill specifically stating what the speed is or the TIER LEVEL I am paying for can someone tell where it can be found on my bill? 

Thanks

Email Expert
CCCarole

eastbayuser wrote:

Thank you but II think my question was taken a bit literally?

_____________________________--

wrote :

"The term high speed  internet is a generic term that came into use because the speed is  faster than dial up.  It is not a separate service or speed tier."

"What you are paying for is a certain level or tier of high speed internet service, which in your case would whatever tier is $46.95. Speed is determined by whatever tier you are subscribed to."

Why would they use a generic term to explain what service or speed tier I am paying for? If I am paying for a specific service or speed tier I would think it should be listed.

Basically how do I find out what my service includes and what speed or tier does my generic high speed internet connection provide when I pay Comcast my $46.95 ? 

Why doesn't Comcast provide me that information or offer that information anywhere online? If there are different TIERS or speeds should they replace that GENERIC term with a specific term  according to what the customer is paying for?

I am just having trouble understanding the vagueness of the billing especially when pointed out that Comcast is using basic generic terms to describe a specific service. If I am missing the information on my bill specifically stating what the speed is or the TIER LEVEL I am paying for can someone tell where it can be found on my bill? 

Thanks

(In bold) If you call 1-800 comcast they can tell you the answer regarding which Tier you have and what speeds to expect with that tier.  While I agree it would be nice to have those details on your bill, since it is not, that is the best we can offer.  Pricing also varies in different parts of the country, and can also vary based on if you have ONLY High Speed Internet or have it bundles with say, TV service and/or phone service.

FYI- On the bottom right hand corner there is a link... Submit Feedback... where you can voice your opinions on this as well.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

If you don't see the service tier listed on your bill you will have to call Comcast and ask.

As a Comcast customer I am not privvy to the reasons why they do what they do.

You might be able to find out online.

Start here http://www.comcast.com/corporate/shop/productoverview.html

Click Start Shopping. You may have to sign in again.

If you get a page that states Customize Your Services click the Products tab. You should get a page which tells you what your services are and it might be listed there. If not then you WILL have to call Comcast.

Before I changed my plan the internet service tier I subscribed to was listed on my bill.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Email Expert
CCCarole

FWIW- The billling statements also vary in different areas of the country.  I USED to have the Tier and speed on my billing statement, but it hasn't been there for about two years now.  Now mine just shows "Performance high speed internet and the cost for it.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor
JaredEriksen

Good morning,

I am a tech in the NJ area. Some of the replies have been accurate. The term IS generic, as all speeds are "high speed" as compared to dialup or even DSL. As far as an aswer to your question, the speed advertised on Comcast.com or even listed in results from a quick Google search for "Performance" speed is 6 mbps down, and 2 up. With many of the system upgrades in many areas, that was upped to 8-12 down and 2-3 up (speeds will vary due to time of day, device, etc). A simple trip to Speedtest.net, and choosing a server closest to you, will give you better information. In many cases, I find high teens, low twenties down and 2-4 up. This is direct to the modem. Keep in mind, a router will diminish this, as it is sharing with other connections... Hope I was able to shed some light on this for you.

Contributor
eastbayuser

Thanks to everyone who responded. Very helpful information.  I will have to call to see what my down and upload speeds are that coincide with my monthly rates being paid.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

post by DJ-DJ removed.

Forum Guidelines

(which everyone should read before making his/her first post) state

Please Don't

2. Use Profanity

Please keep your posts clean. Our forums have an automated profanity filter to block out inappropriate language. Please do not circumvent it by finding colorful ways to approximate or disguise those words. If you are caught trying to bypass the filters in any way, your posting privileges may be revoked.

Contributor
DJ-DJ

Beware of this scam.  I originally had signup up for the 6 mbps Performance Plan a few years ago at about $42/month.  Over the years it the name of the package changed several times under the guise of "improvements" and of course the cost went bit by bit until it was $65 for "High Speed Internet".  Late in 2012 I found out that I was now paying for a 12 mbps even though the 6 mbps was still available at a lower cost.  This is very similar to the phone bill cramming that goes on, were you essentially get upgraded to a higher level without informed consent.  Really sucks Comcast.  I've sent my comments to my city cable authority, my state representatives and the FCC.  I hope everyone else does too.  We need to bring these greedy telecom oligarchies down before they have total control.

New Visitor
Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Queen-Evie, perhaps if Comcast treated their customers with even a minimum of respect  by providing transparent information about their service, profanity would not be showing up in your forums.  Just a thought.