Contributor
jvc4331
Accepted Solution

Internet Essential Installation

Hi, has anyone signed up for the Internet essential plan for $9.95 or know anyone who has?

Since I was charged $90.46 just for the installation before I even received my application and they advertise the plan without any installation fees. 

If you have or know someone with the plan, were you charged any sort of installation fee?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Internet Essential Installation

[ Edited ]

so lets be straight here.  Are you sure you signed up for internet essentials?  It requires you to not have had comcast service for 90 days prior, there is an applicaton to fill out and you need to get approved for it.  You need to have a child or children who are getting free lunch from your city.   Did you go through all these steps or did you just call and ask to have internet essentials installed and they came out and installed internet access. 
That would be my guess.  I suggest you call comcast tomorrow and see exactly what you got. My guess will be you were not given internet essentials.  Do you qualify for it?"   Here are the requirements from the website.  Have you done this?  You need to be qualified before you can even order it.

How to qualify

To qualify for $9.95 a month Internet service and a low-cost computer, your household must meet                    all these criteria:

• Be located where Comcast offers Internet service
  • Have at least one child receiving free school lunches through the National School                        Lunch Program
  • Have not subscribed to Comcast Internet service within the last 90 days
  • Not have an overdue Comcast bill or unreturned equipment

How to apply

•                       Call 1-855-8-INTERNET (1-855-846-8376) to request an application
  • We will mail you an application. Complete and return it, along with lunch                        program documents from your child's school
  • We will notify you by mail about the status of your application. Allow 7-10                        days for a response

Contributor
jvc4331

Hi, I did went through all the steps: saw the ads, called , got bill of $90.46, received application, sent it back, waited, they called me back, I was approved, installer came and activated the service. Got another bill, this time it was for $100.41(the $90.46 + the $9.95). 

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

I did a quick search and found this article from Aug. 11, 2011.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/business/smart-shopper/2011-08-11/comcast-offers-internet-program-...

This is in the article:

The Internet Essentials program does not charge installation or equipment rental fees or require a credit check. Also, the program's monthly price of $9.95 per month, plus tax, will not increase.

Call Comcast. See if they will take the install fees off the bill. If they won't, please post back here and someone will either escalate this issue to the forum administrator or provide another way to contact Comcast.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Contributor
jvc4331

Hi, I have called comcast more that 10 times already, thats why I decided to post here. 

When I called they said the manager would credit my account, nothing.

I even chatted with them and have the chat script where they say they would credit my account and nothing still.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

The next step is to do the following. The we_can_help team is very responsive and will get the right people involved to resolve this for you. I have used them in the past and my issue was resolved in less than 24 hours. You may not hear directly from someone on the we_can_help team. What usually happens is the person they contact will get in touch with you.

Detail your issue so they will know who to contact.

Although it isn't obvious, this forum is generally a customer to customer forum and is not actively monitored by Comcast.

Although Comcast employees (their usernames are in red) are often here to help, they may not see your specific post.

You can send an email to

Comcast corporate customer service (we_can_help@cable.comcast.com).

For the quickest response, please include:
Your full name;
Service address;
Phone number & an alternate number if possible;
Account number;
A link to your post.

Or you can ask for help in the Broadband Reports Comcast Direct Forum or via Twitter.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Contributor
jvc4331

I sent them an email, I'll wait to see what they do.

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

[ Edited ]

jvc4331---

Sorry for the inconvenience. I am currently working on resolving this issue for you.

Thank You
-Keisha-
New Visitor
jhonny4811

We have it and we never got charged for installation and nobody came and installed it, we did all that ourselves with the direction that came in with the modem.

Contributor
jvc4331

Hi, thanks to everyone who responded with help, really appreciated, expecially Queen-Evie, your suggestion to send the email did the trick. They cleared up everything within a few days. Thanks. 

New Visitor
Jondalin

I am on hold right now with Comcast Billing dept in reference to my first bill on Comcast Essentials Program advertised $9.95 a month for low income kids on a free lunch program. I was told there would be no hidden costs, no equipment fees and price would never increase. The installation technician arrived one and a half hours late, so he immediately gave me a $20.00 credit. I thought, "how cool"....no bill for two months. Needless to say my first bill was delivered in less than 2 weeks for a total of $84.41 after my $20.00 credit had been applied. I can't afford this, so I immediately contacted Comcast March 27, 2012, and after 1 hour on the phone... grrr... the technician informed me that I would recieve credits of $86.95 for misc charges that did not apply to me.

Today is now April 11, 2012 and I decided to review my bill online. To my surprise I have an outstanding bill for over $106.00........  I have been on hold, on and off for 45:20 minutes now and this issue is still not resolved.

I am still on hold, waiting to be transfered for the third time. It has been 58:13 minutes, and I am seriously unhappy. I promise I will follow up on this and share my outcome documentations and time spent to resolve this issue on my very first months bill.  ~J. Matis  in California

New Visitor
Jondalin

OMG. I was told I would be transfered directly to the the Essentials Program dept so my credit would be applied...... I was transfered to an automated directory and immediately disconnected. How is this possible? I just spent well over another hour on the phone with Comcast trying to understand why I am still being charged for equipment etc. monthly, where my $20.00 credit applied, and they disconnected me.

Anyone have any input or advice? This is unacceptable to me.

~Sad in California!!!

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

The next step is to do the following. The we_can_help team is very responsive and will get the right people involved to resolve this for you. I have used them in the past and my issue was resolved in less than 24 hours. You may not hear directly from someone on the we_can_help team. What usually happens is the person they contact will get in touch with you.

Detail your issue so they will know who to contact.

Although it isn't obvious, this forum is generally a customer to customer forum and is not actively monitored by Comcast.

Although Comcast employees (their usernames are in red) are often here to help, they may not see your specific post.

You can send an email to

Comcast corporate customer service (we_can_help@cable.comcast.com).

For the quickest response, please include:
Your full name;
Service address;
Phone number & an alternate number if possible; (best number to use to call you)
Account number;
A link to your post.

Or you can ask for help in the Broadband Reports Comcast Direct Forum or via Twitter.

New Visitor
Jondalin

Maybe I should mention that I also purchased the low income computer notebook when I joined this Essentials Program which arrived with absolutely no documentation, literature or manuals..... it crashed after one week. I returned the notebook and still have not rec;d a replacement....  what's up Comcast?  Talk to me!

New Visitor
Marcaine

My child gets free lunch and I scrape to keep internet for her because some classes require it, she is in all advanced placement classes, and often times I have to borrow the money from family to keep it going. Now because I have been a customer and done everything I can to keep it I'm not eligible for the program? That hardly seems like a good business practice. I'm very disappointed in you comcast :-(

New Visitor

I am in the same boat.  Have had comcast for years and bundled.  My comcast bill takes my whole biweekly paycheck.  My daughter does receive free lunch and also receive other county assistance.  But because I have struggled and kept my internet for both my children for school "We are just ... out of luck" 

NOT FAIR!  AND DEFINITELY BAD BUSINESS PRACTICE.  IF THEY CAN SUCK THE FULL AMOUNT THEY WILL!

New Visitor
heydiddle

I am in the same situation.  We were in a situation where internet was affordable.  Now, due to drastic financial changes, it is not.  For the sake of my children, I have scraped and even borrowed to keep internet active these last few months.  I was excited to find this program because we are at the point of turning off the internet and using the library internet.  I don't qualify because I currently have internet with them.  This program is clearly not about helping people, this is obviously about getting new customers.  Very disapppointing!

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

wimbishrm, your post here was merged into the new topic you started today. Keeping everything in one place will make it easier to help you.

New Visitor
MSmomof3

I don't know in what part of the country you live, but I promise you that all of the comcast service represetntatives are not this way.  We live in MS, and the people I've talked to have always been very helpful to me.  I got Internet Essentials, and we had to have someone come run a line to our house, and were charged $39.95.  But all it took was a 10 min chat with the cust service rep I happened to get and it was all taken care of.  Voila! Trust me - there are MUCH worse companies in the world to deal with (AT&T, for one!)