Contributor

Internet alone is same price as internet and TV bundle? Is it true?

I have internet/TV bundle but I don't watch TV any longer so I called the customer service to cancel TV service. Then I was told that internet alone cost the same as internet/TV bundle. Is it true? I'm currently paying $49.95 for internet and $64.99 for TV. The internet service promotion ad for new customers says, "Comcast’s current monthly service charges for the advertised services range from $42.95 to $59.95." So did the representative lie to me to make me keep the TV service?

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Internet alone is same price as internet and TV bundle? Is it true?

Cavewoman wrote:

I have internet/TV bundle but I don't watch TV any longer so I called the customer service to cancel TV service. Then I was told that internet alone cost the same as internet/TV bundle. Is it true? I'm currently paying $49.95 for internet and $64.99 for TV. The internet service promotion ad for new customers says, "Comcast’s current monthly service charges for the advertised services range from $42.95 to $59.95." So did the representative lie to me to make me keep the TV service?

I would suggest callng back & speaking with another Rep.  Possibly the one you spoke with misunderstood?

Pricing differs in different areas of the country, but Internet alone is usually about $10 more per month if you only have that one service. (meaning only Internet) Hope this helps.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Email Expert
madylarian

Keep in mind, too, that if you have promotional bundle you are getting both services at significant discounts.  Discontinuing one of the services would mean you won't continue to get the bundle discount.

mady

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Email Expert

But cavewoman quoted separate prices for TV and Internet, so it doesn't look like she's using a promotional bundle. Those look like the normal base prices for the two services.

Bronze Star Contributor

What may be causing the confusion is the level of TV service. In the area I live in it is cheaper to have TV and Internet, but only if you pick the limited basic. Not easy to find any reference to this, but I believe it is mandated by whoever (FCC?) to provide limited basic which is just the local channels. (25 channels where I live).

In my case it’s $4 cheaper a month to have both, even at the new 2011 rates. You should have or will get a new rate sheet since they raised all the rates, at least in my area. Maybe not in your area, if not call them and ask for the limited basic rate and internet with TV rate, it may be cheaper and you still will have the local stations plus some.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

It is always higher cost for Internet alone. In my area any level of Internet service is $15.00 more per month over the price when it is bundled with television.

Example Performance is $42.95 per month with television. Without television $57.95 per month. Add the modem rental fee of $5.00 per month to the non bundled price and it is $62.95 for Internet per month. Taxes and fees not included.

I think the OP got some high prices from the prices she quoted paying now which sounds like Digital Starter and Performance Internet depending on the location.

Contributor
willspy4u

An older post, but still valid: YES, this is basically how they 'screw customers' into "keeping TV."

They CLAIM that it helps keep the costs down, by force-feeing you TV that you don't need.

I have performance bundle, and the TV part is only 50 cents extra vs. just the Internet alone (yes, I have 'basic, non-digital, non-high-def,' but my digital TVs make the signal near-HD, clean digital anyway, so I don't really need or care to have 'digital starter' nor 'HD.' Maybe, some day I wouldn't mind having those, but I get most content elsewhere - which is "the way of the world." Notice, Comcast and others started putting on, and enforcing "data caps" of the 250GB per month, to keep people from doing "streaming-only" of all their content. I never go over 250GB/month, so it doesn't bother me.

So, AT&T and Comcast saw the 'streaming trend,' and decided, "Hey, let's cap this, and force them to still watch content via TV; because if they go over the cap, BOOM! HUGE FEES start to pile up."

But as more and more people to go "streaming-only," Comcast and AT&T will "lick up the gravy ($$)" and still get mega-dollars for basically a lot of the same content.

The ones that really killed it were the "script-kiddies" and "streaming weenies" and, of course, the DILBERTS that just HAVE to "stream TV / movies on their PHONES." Really?! I really want to watch a movie or TV show with A MAGNIFYING GLASS! Granted, even small screens are very high-def, but still it's a GIMMICK people - wise up! You're like Justin Bieber wearing his pants around his ankles to try to be "gangsta."

So, the ads by Radio Shack and others about "You can SAVE UP TO $795 per year by buying some streaming device" are VERY misleading. Rarely do you save that, due to the way Comcast forces 'bundles' on the users. Supposedly, the TV part of mine is maybe considered $39.95 per month and the Internet is considered $49.95 per month (something like that) - yet, if I 'unbundle it;' the TV part "magically" is really only about 50-55 cents extra vs. what I would pay if I chose to have Interent only.

So, unbundled, I would pay, like 89.50 for JUST INTERNET - isn't THAT just some "magic accounting?"

Whereas, if I leave the basic cable TV in the bundle, I only pay like $89.95.

I mean, really, if we want to complain, I think these practices are very questionable, and you would have to go to FCC and maybe even FTC and BBB and register complaints. Bottom line, if you say I am paying $40 per month for my "TV service" then, if I cancel just the "TV service," then my bill should decrease $40 per month - period; end of story.

I'm sure some Comcast person will come on here and say, "We HAVE to do it this way, so that blah blah can be afforded and blah."

The only other choices really are AT&T and some of the satellite providers. Looks like it's about time for some "INTERNET-ONLY PROVIDERS" to spring back up and provide some REAL competition - especially with some of the new MEGA-HIGH-SPEED wireless specs that are almost completed! Or, GOOGLE FIBER TO THE HOUSE! Go GOOGLE!

New Visitor
miktoth

I am paying $60 for internet and TV. I get just the basic channels, plus I added a sports package for 4.95, which I may delete because it doesn't really get any games.  I used to have just internet for $30 a month.  I wouldnt pay any more than this.  I hadn't had cable for 25 years because of the price.  Maybe make them understand you will drop it and the price might drop.

Regular Contributor

Where are you located? 

I have basic cable, blocked high definition, and the only speed available (sometimes it's fast), and I pay $72 per month.

I watch about 3 hours of TV a week, and I never stream video upload or download anything of any size.

Comcast is my only choice, and they're way overpriced. I feel like they're robbing me every month. I hate them.

Regular Contributor

They are going to make you pay the maximum they can get, so it depends on what else is available in your neighborhood.

When Dish or Direct TV have a promotion, my basic cable TV is "free" with internet.  When there's no competition, the TV has a price and the internet has a price.  When they're doing "upgrades" around town, and my internet is unreliable, the TV is a separate charge, so any 'credits' for loss of service will only reflect the internet charge.

ALL prices are subject to change upon their whim.