New Visitor
Kenjoa

New Fee called "Regulatory Recovery Fee"

I am a Comcast customer in Alexandria, VA.  On my recent bill, dated 6/7/12, Comcast provided notice that "Effective July 1, 2012, a Regulatory Recovery Fee will be instituted to recover additional costs associated with governmental programs.  This fee is not government-mandated, and may vary based upon your monthly usage pattern."  This so-called Regulatory Recovery Fee is vague and the notice does not explain why the fee is being imposed, who the fee is being collected for, or how the fee is calculated.  A vague statement that this fee may vary based on monthly usage patterns provides nothing in the way of explanation of what new charge a customer can expect on the next bill, let alone why this fee is being instituted at all.  I can't believe the FTC, FCC and/or local franchise authorities permit cable companies to engage in this billing practice ... at a minimum, Comcast should provide customers with a detailed explanation of why the fee is being imposed, who the fee is being collected for, and how the fee is calculated.  Has anyone else seen this notice?  If so, does anyone else think this is an abuse of Comcast's ability to charge any old fee it wants without providing any justification?  

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Re: New Fee called "Regulatory Recovery Fee"

[ Edited ]

Regulatory recovery fee

These monthly component fees are based on access line, subscriber or usage. They help defray the costs of complying with state regulations (such as telecom relay services for the visually/hearing impaired).

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/billing/most-common-taxes-fees-surcharges-on-your-bill

The regulatory cost recovery fee is charged to help cover the cost for providers to comply with Federal, state and local regulatory requirements.

They, and other providers, are allowed to charge this fee (and most, if not all, of them do) even though it is not required by law.

It's been collected for years by phone service providers. AT&T charged me this fee. Comcast now bills for it. My cell phone provider also includes it on their bill.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor
Kenjoa

First, what new regulatory fees have been imposed (other than the new 4% PEG Fee Comcast is now imposing on video services, equipment and installation charges) that are generating the need to collect fees to help Comcast recover collection of these previously imposed government fees?  You don't make it clear how (or how much) the overhead costs to collect these government fees have increased, so why the need for a new Regulatory Recovery Fee now?  Second, you didn't explain how this new variable Regulatory Recovery Fee is being calculated -- please provide the precise formula that Comcast is using to determine this new fee.  

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Kenjoa wrote:

First, what new regulatory fees have been imposed (other than the new 4% PEG Fee Comcast is now imposing on video services, equipment and installation charges) that are generating the need to collect fees to help Comcast recover collection of these previously imposed government fees?  You don't make it clear how (or how much) the overhead costs to collect these government fees have increased, so why the need for a new Regulatory Recovery Fee now?  Second, you didn't explain how this new variable Regulatory Recovery Fee is being calculated -- please provide the precise formula that Comcast is using to determine this new fee.  

I am a Comcast customer and don't know any of that. All I did was provide basic info about the fee.

Comcast employees authorized to post in the forum have their names in RED and are designated as employees.

Names not in red indicate customers.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor
Kenjoa

Thanks Queen Evie.  You certainly sounded like a Comcast employee.  Who do you suggest I refer my questions to given I have not yet received a response from Comcast.  Also, I find it interesting that Comcast hasn't responded (perhaps they agree with you and have decided there's no reason to comment further?)  I always have the local franchise authority and the fcc to contact -- maybe they can explain too.

New Visitor

I'm a Comcast customer in Alexandria and have complained to my congressman and the FCC on Comcast's intransigence in responding to their billing issues.

Congress has so far failed to respond and the FCC referred me to my local franchising authority (LFA) whose identity I am still trying to discover.

There appears to be a conspiracy of silence at work here, but I will persist until I get answers.

Bronze Star Contributor
wchillman

You can avoid being nickel-and-dimed by Comcast when you subscribe to their Performance Starter. This will allow for great TV as well as internet service for less than 50 bucks a month. Many Comcast subscribers just aren’t aware of this option and Comcast does not promote it. It’s a perfect solution if you are sick of getting your rates raised as well as paying triple digit monthly bills and, as far as I’m concerned, it is well worth the sacrifices. I’ve posted about it elsewhere on the Comcast site but you can click on this link to read more…

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/WE-WANT-NETFLIX-SUPER-HD/td-p/1691409