New Visitor
msaseifert

Potential Identity Theft through Comcast

Today I was attempting to look at options for a sports package with Xfinity. Keeping in mind, I have no issues logging into email, but when "Shopping" the website asked for my phone number on my account and the last 4 of my SSN. It stated it could not identify me or something like they did not match what was on file. So I got on chat with a customer service person. Their response was that I was giving the wrong last 4 of SSN. Thats impossible. I know my SSN. Apparently the SSN they have on my account is not mine, which then begs the questions what happened to my SSN that they have had possession of. Has someone at Comcast switched SSNs on accounts? I was told on Chat I would have to call or go to a customer service center. Well last time I went to a customer service center I had to wait 45 mins for service. So I figured I would call. Well after being on hold for over 30 mins waiting on a representative I gave up as my phone battery ran out. I love how no matter when you call you always get their lame a** excuse that "due to high call volume.....". So frustrating. I wish they would give you a $1 credit for every minute you had to wait for them to let you be a customer. Such an arrogant organization. Anyways, right now I am figuring with my concern that they lost security on my SSN, that maybe I should call the county Sheriff's office in the morning and file a report that I believe my information may have been stolen at Comcast. Maybe they can get a hold of someone there.... Thought?

Recognized Contributor
nhdude79

Re: Potential Identity Theft through Comcast

Comcast didn't steal your idenitety.  it was probably entered incorrectly in the sytem.  This can be fixed by Comcast by calling them or by visiting the service center.

New Visitor
msaseifert

nhdude79, do you gurantee this? Willing to stake a years salary on it without investigating. It is becoming more common that individuals operating in an office environment with access to personal data are using it unauthorized. And if it was entered incorrectly as you suggest... I have had comcast cable for over 10 years, when did they change it and who changed it without my authorization? It was correct when originally setup and the last time I added services, about 5 years ago. I also did try to call, as their agent on chat recommended. I got their message that plays all the time now.... "Due to high call volume...." what it should really say is, "We already have your money and we are to cheap to hire enough customer service agents to deal with your issue. You should just be happy that we are allowing you to wait on our line." I waited over 30 mins last night, on an advertised 24/7 customer service line, until the battery on my phone went dead. The last time I went to a service center was in January when I got so fed up, when they screwed up my service, I turned in three 3 boxes and cut my service back, I had to wait there for 45 mins just to talk to a representative. And by the way, my SSN must have been correct at that time or it would have shown up. Why should I have to wait on their poor service to correct something that should have never happened under their control. Comcast is clearly at fault here, not me, yet they, as usual, have a an attituide that it is their customers problem, not theirs. So I need to seek to find a way to make it theirs.

New Visitor
msaseifert

See Reply as Post 2

Email Expert
CCCarole

I escalated your thread to the Administrator.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.