Regular Visitor

RESOLVED! : ) Misled About Service Protection Plan/Huge Service fees incurred

[ Edited ]

I just rec'd my Comcast bill and was astounded to see service related fees that were over $300!!

I recently added to my Comcast package 1 anyroom DVR + 2 HD receivers via the Cust. Serv. chat and during the course of the conversation, also added the Service Protection Plan.  Here is a copy of that part of the conversation (names were removed - G is the Customer Service rep):

G (Thu Dec 16 12:39:27 EST 2010)>

Just one more thing, R , I would also like to let you know that I have added the Service Protection Plan for $1.99/month. It covers in-home visits for the diagnosis of video/data reception problems and the repair of in-home wiring. If you have the Service Protection Plan, you will automatically avail free of charge any wire-related service calls in the future. Will this be fine with you?

Me (Thu Dec 16 12:40:32 EST 2010)>

Does this include phone/internet andtv?

G (Thu Dec 16 12:41:01 EST 2010)>

Yes.

G (Thu Dec 16 12:41:21 EST 2010)>

For a smalll monthly fee, SPP provides the security of knowing you're covered for all inside wiring needs and for chargeable technical service, which is usually at $30-50/service call.

G (Thu Dec 16 12:41:33 EST 2010)>

So shall we add it then?

Me (Thu Dec 16 12:42:13 EST 2010)>

You are such a salesperson!  Ok, go ahead, i will take it.  : )

G (Thu Dec 16 12:42:10 EST 2010)>

Wise decision! I will then add the SPP on your account,

I found it interesting that "G" said he was adding the SPP to my account prior to me even saying I want it.  Didn't pay attention to that until after I reread the chat.

Well, after the tech came to change out my DVR he informed me that my wiring was bad and in order for HD to come in properly he needed to come back and change out the wiring.  I thought to myself, good thing I got that SPP the CSR talked me into!  The Service Tech at my home said it would be no charge, that the work is comped due to bad wiring Comcast had previously put in.  I then thought, great, don't even need to mention how I now had the SPP since he said no cost to me.  Anyway, after making 2 appts for him to come back (the first appt, the tech got too busy on that day and could not show, the second appt, another rep showed up instead) the work got done and no fees were ever mentioned. 

Needless to say, when seeing this bill I was not happy!!!  I have been a loyal Comcast customer for many years, steadily increasing my service through those years (much to my son's dismay who is a tech for AT&T and has tried to get me to switch), and always paying my bill on time. Now I wonder if I should have listened to my son and made the switch to AT&T.   I feel i was mislead not only by the Tech who was at my home and stated it would be no charge (although I don't think he has much say-so in cost matters), but also by the Customer Service rep I talked to about the SPP as the rep cleary stated:  "you're covered for all inside wiring needs and for chargeable technical service, which is usually at $30-50/service call" and "If you have the Service Protection Plan, you will automatically avail free of charge any wire-related service calls in the future."  Maybe it was not the wise decision "G" said it would be after all.  

I would like to see Comcast do right by me, a loyal customer all these years (in spite of a son working for the competition urging me to make the switch) and then I can say thank you Comcast for doing the right thing, rather than go the other route.  Hopefully this gets read by the right person!

Regular Visitor

Re: Misled About Service Protection Plan/Huge Service fees incurred

I am very pleased to say that I have been contacted by a rep. of Comcast and this issue has been resolved. Thank you Comcast!