New Visitor
oldbay71

Self installation kit to avoid fees?

I am moving into a new apartment and scheduled transfer of my internet service. But was told there's a $99 fee. This is outrageous. Asked if there is a free self install kit and they said "no." But I've heard there is one. Can anyone confirm that and tell me how to get it? Otherwise I'm going with Verizon DSL. Thanks in advance.

New Visitor
ardafif

Re: Self installation kit to avoid fees?

Yes, there is a self-install kit which they're supposed to mail for free. But beware, because I just got my bill and was charged for the individual install kits. So make sure you get the sales rep to confirm over the phone that there will be no costs for the install kit.

Contributor
SoljaBear

IF you are doing a transfer? Did you not bring all the equipment with you? Like for the HSI the modem and or router? And for the TV portion did you bring you cable box? I ask this because then you do not need a self-install kit. (They now charge for the Kit). 

When you get setup at your new apartment? See if when you hook up a coaxial cable from the wall  to your TV. If you get any Comcast stations then you are recieving the signal for the net and tv.

All you gotta do then is call support on the phone, and you will have to give then the mac address's on your equipment. I have only once paid for an install, which was $40. The dude comes to connect me for highspeed. He checks the box outside and all is hooked up. He comes in connects a coax to the line. I told him it needs a 20ft cable to reach my desk and comp. He tells me he is not allowed to put that long of a cable in. I said whatever...just call ya people and give them the Mac addy and I will do the rest.

He was lazy an d not to tech savvy.

New Visitor
jonehret

I attempted to add economy internet service today and, while filling out the form, saw that it would cost $10 in shipping. When I clicked through, I was taken into a chat session for 40 minutes. I find that amount of time to confirm my service outrageous, and they never even finished. But to the point: I was told during the chat session that the self-installation kit would cost me an extra $10. The advisor indicated it was $10 for the kit, and another $10 for "standard" shipping. he said he had hoped to locate a "promotion" to waive the "extra fee," but could not find one. I think the idea that self-installing something ( I work in IT, after all) should not lead to nickeling and diming me. I own my own modem. So what exactly is in a self-install kit for economy internet that should be worth $10, plus require $10 to ship? Needless to say, I canceled the process. 

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

If I remember all the components correctly; splitter, coax cable for the connection to the modem, installation CD which wasn't needed. Same componenets for any level of Internet service. At the time I picked mine up there was the $9.95 shipping charge but I just picked it up at the local office.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

jonehret wrote:

I attempted to add economy internet service today and, while filling out the form, saw that it would cost $10 in shipping. When I clicked through, I was taken into a chat session for 40 minutes. I find that amount of time to confirm my service outrageous, and they never even finished. But to the point: I was told during the chat session that the self-installation kit would cost me an extra $10. The advisor indicated it was $10 for the kit, and another $10 for "standard" shipping. he said he had hoped to locate a "promotion" to waive the "extra fee," but could not find one. I think the idea that self-installing something ( I work in IT, after all) should not lead to nickeling and diming me. I own my own modem. So what exactly is in a self-install kit for economy internet that should be worth $10, plus require $10 to ship? Needless to say, I canceled the process. 

The kit includes a cable, an installation disk (which you don't need if your connection is an ethernet connection), and a modem.

Since you own a modem, you won't need the self install kit. If a different modem is needed for economy tier, someone will let you and me know.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.