New Visitor
PeteTheGolfer

Service Protection Plan

Does anyone know what the "Service Protection Plan" is.  The $2.95 charge just appeared on my last bill.

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Re: Service Protection Plan

New Visitor
PeteTheGolfer

Thanks, that clears it up. 

I wonder how I got signed up.  I don't remember asking for it.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

they sent a notice in your bill a while back but if you don't read the little notices you would have not seen it.  Just call and they can remove it.

New Visitor

It is a service that covers wiring problems inside your home for Comcast-related equipment. It was added to my bill without me asking for it, but then the charge was removed when I told them I did not want it. Verizon had a similar program that would cover you for telephone wiring problems inside the house (external wiring was fixed free of charge). I never took that and never had a problem in more than 30 years...

New Visitor
PeteTheGolfer

Thanks for the info.  I haven't decided yet if I want to keep it.  I know that, in the past, we had some trouble with our DVR and Comcast was going to charge us $25 if it couldn't be fixed remotely.  Would this plan cover that cost?

Letting us know about an upcoming charge in the inserts is like trying to hide it.  Most of the inserts are ads and I'll bet most people throw them away without looking at them.  I do.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Here is more information about the Service Protection Plan:

http://www.comcast.com/spp/?SCRedirect=true

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor
shandor416

I also had this added to my bill without asking. i bet you called to get a lower bill when it got hiked up after 6 months and the rep added this to take back a little of what you were saving. im sure that it happened to me

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Pfigment wrote:

It is a service that covers wiring problems inside your home for Comcast-related equipment.

It covers communication wiring which would include Ethernet or phone lines as well as cable lines. The service provider does not have to be Comcast.
Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

PeteTheGolfer wrote:

Thanks for the info.  I haven't decided yet if I want to keep it.  I know that, in the past, we had some trouble with our DVR and Comcast was going to charge us $25 if it couldn't be fixed remotely.  Would this plan cover that cost?

Yes, you would be covered for that - no charges.  Customers with SPP won't see charges for anything other than custom wiring.

(I know this is an old thread, but I added a couple of comments for those of you searching the archives)

New Visitor
PeteTheGolfer

Again about the DVR.  Since it's a rented device, wouldn't Comcast fix any DVR problems for free, regardless of whether or not I paid for the SPP?  If not, I could just return it and get a new one, right?

Bronze Star Contributor
TerriB

You betcha they  have to fix or replace the DVR since it belongs to them without paying for any protection plan. I have had mine replaced twice with NO hassle whatsoever.

TerriB

Contributor
thorman52

I had the SPP until I went to Xfinity.  Then with 3 things to go wrong they took it off my bill. They are playing the odds. Seems like they want to milk all the money they can from us seniors on fixed incomes. I just got done reading that thread. Doesn't it pay for the service call also? That's at least $25.

Bronze Star Contributor
TerriB

I am fixed income senior too. Comcast has always been good to me as far as keeping my bill as low as possible when I ask for help even if I have to call several times.

Before I got the service protection plan they never charged me to come to the house. Of course they never charge when its a service issue or failure of their equipment  and even when the cause was questionable they have been very reasonable with me and not charged me a svc call fee.  I only got the svc protection after I got digital voice and  'cut Verizon' off. I just felt that somehow after all these decades I would have wiring issues but I have decided there are many ways to get that fixed without a lot of money OR paying Comcast.

They have also done what they did for you and took 'charges' off the bill that could have gone un-noticed. I have learned to read every bill I get including charge cards, etc to make sure there is nothing on there that shouldn't be and it has paid off.

TerriB

New Visitor
tonya030

I just got off a chat and here is the deal.  As usual these cable companies, phone companies etc. are finding all means available to raise fees. a dollar here or .50 cents there and the bill starts to add up. But to the point. I looked at my cable bill and I did not see any charge. Got on a chat with Comcast and the rep I dealt with said I was the first such call to receive about the service protection plan which amazed me after reading this board.  Well, he checked by bill and sure as can be there was a $3.95 charge for the plan.  I advised him to take it off and that I did not order it. By my calculations that come to about $48 year for this so called plan which in reality should be included as part of their responsibility to maintain their equipment. That is why all of our cable bills are so high already.

My real concern about this is that I do not think Comcast or any company for that matter has the right to include an optional service without the permission of the subscriber. The plan really is meant for wiring issues, but that is besides the point;  they had no right to automatically charge everyone the $3.95 fee. Again, it is their equipment and as such they are responsible for its maintenance. I find that a company like Comcast has showed their true colors in that their greed has totally disregarded that fact that the economy is in one of the worst periods in US history and yet they have the audacity to throw out an increase like this.

Its your choice folks. I am looking in to this further as to the authority Comcast had to put this charge on our bills.  Supposedly someone had posted that there was some document that advised us that this new charge would appear in future statement and if you wanted to cancel you would have to call.

I called, I cancelled

Bronze Star Contributor
wchillman

We have solved the junk fee problem by only subscribing to Comcast's Performance Starter

It allows for great TV as well as internet for less than 50 bucks a month. Many Comcast subscribers just aren’t aware of this option and Comcast does not actively promote it. It’s a perfect solution for those of you who are sick of getting nickeled-and-dimed to dealth and, as far as I’m concerned, it is well worth the sacrifices. I’ve posted about it elsewhere on the Comcast site but you can click on this link to read more…

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/WE-WANT-NETFLIX-SUPER-HD/td-p/1691409