Contributor
glenn-ho

Social security number

Why do I have to give any part of my SSN to get any help or change of service. I just went to the SS administration website and it states you can set up any number you like besides a SSN. Comcast will not do it?

Official Employee
ComcastNick

Re: Social security number

You don't have to use the least 4 digits of your SSN. 

You can use your full account number, or you can set up a password on your account to use instead. 

Comcast Nick
APSC Supervisor
Contributor
glenn-ho

I was told that I cannot make any changes unless I gave them the last 4 of my SSN. I stated I can give them my full name, full address, my phone number, account number, and the last 2 years of bill amounts.

Another question I have is how did Comcast get my SSN. Comcast bought my cable service provider which was Garden state Cable and I never gave them my SSN.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

I frequently had to deal with Comcast regarding my mothers account. After she added my name to her account I was given a choice to keep using the last 4 digits of her SSN or set up a different number or password. I opted to keep the SSN because it would have confused my mother if she had to learn a different one to use if she called Comcast.

Call back. Hopefully you will get someone who will change it for you.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Official Employee
ComcastNick

You can use your account number, or the date and amount of your last payment.

If they are refusing then they are incorrect, and need to be coached up on our policies.

We likely have the last 4 of your SSN because when we bought your old cable company, we got that information when we merged our billing systems

Comcast Nick
APSC Supervisor
Contributor
glenn-ho

I started with Garden State Cable in 1983 and SSN numbers were not needed then. I have never given my SSN to Comcast or Garden State Cable? I even used the chat and got the same response from them that I needed the last 4 of my SSN number to make any changes. One customer service rep stated they would get fired if they did not request it.

Official Employee
ComcastNick

Hmm, I am not sure how we would have SSN information then, it is possible we don't and there is a random number in that field in our computer system from the billing system merge.

Regardless, you can use your full account number for authorization

Comcast Nick
APSC Supervisor
Contributor
glenn-ho

OK this is the customer service rep ID (9P6) that would not help me unless I gave the last 4 of my SSN. Same rep that said she would get fired without me giving my SSN. I asked to furnish any other identification information which included full name, full address, account number, phone number, and two years of billing. How can I report this?

Official Employee
ComcastNick

Well, I don't normally recommend it, but I would call back in and request to use your account number as verification.  If they still refuse to do so, you should speak with a supervisor.  Our policy is very clear as to letting you choose to either use your last 4 SSN digits or account number to verify the account.

Comcast Nick
APSC Supervisor
Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

nick

One thing that should be mentioned to Comcast higher ups. It states right on the front of all Social Security cards issued..NOT TO BE USED FOR IDENTIFICATION

I personally don't see why every company is so concerned about using the SSN for verification of a person's ability to pay. And if it is being used for credit checks that means the credit rating agencies and credit card issuers need to be told this also. The SSN serves one purpose.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie
Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

[ Edited ]

commanguy wrote: ... It states right on the front of all Social Security cards issued..NOT TO BE USED FOR IDENTIFICATION ...

According to Cecil Adams of "The Straight Dope", that wording "doesn't mean your social security number couldn't be used for identification purposes, just that the card itself couldn't be presented as proof of identity". See: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/141/why-does-my-old-social-security-card-say-it-cant-be-use.... That page and an SSA web page say the phrase "NOT TO BE USED FOR IDENTIFICATION" only appeared on cards issued between 1946 and 1972 (see Q21 at http://www.ssa.gov/history/hfaq.html).

Regular Contributor

When I try to log in -- it claims that my login is not correct.  I'm pretty sure I know what the last 4 digits of my SSN number is ... but I'm wondering what Comcast thinks it is??

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

eherberg2 wrote:

When I try to log in -- it claims that my login is not correct.  I'm pretty sure I know what the last 4 digits of my SSN number is ... but I'm wondering what Comcast thinks it is??

What are you trying to log in to?

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Regular Contributor

When on the Comcast.com site -- if you were shopping for additional services, for example, and get to the "Current Customers" login screen.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

I have never seen a log in screen for current customers when I have used Shop on comcast.com. It certainly wasn't there 2 days ago and when I went to the Shop page after reading your post it WAS there. So that has been added very recently. Previously the only thing on that page were the fields for address and zip code.

Since phone number/last 4 of the social are not working for you try something else.

1) Use the other side of the page for new customers. Enter your address and zip code, click Continue. You should get a current customer page. If not look for something that says "if you are a current Comcast customer click here." Then click the link.

OR

2) Use the sign in to your account option with your user name and password. This will load the current customer page.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

Queen-Evie wrote: ... What are you trying to log in to?

If you click "Forgot your username" on the login screen, then "Not one of the users above?" on the "Your Comcast ID" screen, you reach the "Forgot your Comcast ID?" screen https://login.comcast.net/myaccount/lookup?execution=e3s1, which asks you to pick, as a verification method, either your Account Number or the last 4 digits of your SSN.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Bruce, that really doesn't do anything. If using the method you describe all that happens is you getting kicked backed to the User Names screens. It uses what is in the Comcast database.

I first tried it with the last 4 of my social. It told me We could not find your social security number.

I then used the account number option and got back to the user names.

That page cannot be used to change the way Comcast verifies the account when you call them.

All it does is verify that you are indeed able to look up user names.

Forgot your Comcast ID?

We'll help you look it up. Let's verify your identity first to ensure your account is safe

Official Employee
ComcastNick

commanguy wrote:

nick

One thing that should be mentioned to Comcast higher ups. It states right on the front of all Social Security cards issued..NOT TO BE USED FOR IDENTIFICATION

I personally don't see why every company is so concerned about using the SSN for verification of a person's ability to pay. And if it is being used for credit checks that means the credit rating agencies and credit card issuers need to be told this also. The SSN serves one purpose.

Using the last 4 digits of the SSN is pretty much industry standard.  It is a good way to be able to verify someone over the phone.  Most people are good with this method, for those who prefer not to give out any part of their SSN, we can use the full account number, we can set up a account password, or we can use the date and amount of the last payment to authorize the customer.

It is not being used for a credit check when they ask for just the last 4, credit checks only occur when a customer is starting new service, or when they are adding an additional service and don't have a good payment history.

Comcast Nick
APSC Supervisor
Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

nick

Understand that the SSN has become widespread and I provide the last 4 digits when needed. I just think the use of the SSN has gotten out of hand for identification purposes.

And mine was used when I was in the Navy instead of a serial number which we questioned back in the late 70s. Seemed the DOD was going the easy route to identify military personal instead of generating serial numbers and I also suspect they thought most of the new recruits wouldn't be able to memorize a serial number.

I would think that with the SSN one way to set up a false identity that companies would want to do the best to help protect customers. Hackers get in and steal account information at times.

But this is all a personal opinion only

New Visitor
DougB256

I  have been going round and round with Comcast over this. Even talked with a supervisor this morning who said they MUST use the last 4 of the SSN. I told her that I've never given my SSN before (I've had this account for 7 yrs) and that they had a 'filler' number in there. I told her I would be happy to give my acct number, but she said that wasn't good enough for a service call. She said that I'd have to go to the nearest office (over 10 miles away) and give them my correct SSN. I refused to do this, so she refused to set up a service call.

Who can I talk to about this, when even a supervisor refuses to authorize a service call?

-Doug B

Contributor

No it's not standard to ask for SSN.  Even among banks, very few ask me for SSN.  Instead I always can set up a pin.  Even those using mother's maiden, let me use another secure word instead. 

There really isn't any need to use SSN, nor excuse to stick with it.  As a programmer, I can tell you now, if you have a field set up for it, then it can be updated, and a person can add a pin that's more private and avoids opening to identity theft.

Contributor

Ask them to use your drivers license info, or add a password to your account, you can also refuse to supply and ask them to remove the SSN from your account, but supply one of the others, and it's the last four you should be asked for, not the entire SSN

New Visitor
davis45

One of your employees just asked for my full social security number? I did not give it to him, but I am shocked he would ask.

New Visitor
kthornton108

I'm moving and was asked to provide my entire social security number in order to continue as they needed to set up a new account. Is this normal?

New Visitor
rkyleberry

I just received a call from a private number and a woman claiming to be from Comcast in Decatur, IL stated they had setup my Comcast under my father's name and that they needed my full social security number to switch it to my name.

I informed her I am not giving a random person who calls me my social security number and she informed me they couldn't provide me service unless I did so.

Her only alternative is that I put down a $50 deposit. I said that was fine. I would give her my credit card number, since I would be able to dispute it if was not actually taken by Comcast and she said I would need to come into the office and give the deposit in person.

There was in fact a technician at my location and my mother was onsite speaking with him, but regardless why is it that I need to give away my SSN over the phone to someone I don't know? Why do they need my SSN to begin with? Why is it that I can give my SSN over the phone, but can't submit my deposit over the phone? 

Needless to say I will be cancelling any and all further services with Comcast as I spent 3 hours yesterday on the phone with various individuals attempting to transfer my service from my Atlanta home to my new residence in Illinois and now this incident. 

Switching to DSL, might not be as fast but well worth it to have better service and less hassle that you get from Comcast.