Regular Visitor

Total bill increased $28.17 in two months, with no forewarning or announcement

I have Comcast TV and Internet.  My monthly bill for basic services has been $99.77 consistently, which I pay but thought was high for basic services. Then in March it went up to $113.42, for a $14.52 increase, and in April to $127.94 for another $13.65 increase. The total increase is $28.17 per month to date for these basic services.

To my knowledge, I have received no advance warning or other information from Comcast about these increases.

Please let me know what is going on. If I will have to pay this much as a loyal customer to receive so little (the Internet service at home is quite slow compared to the one we have at work), I will have to consider changing to another carrier.

Thank you.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Total bill increased $28.17 in two months, with no forewarning or announcement

dfhume wrote:

I have Comcast TV and Internet.  My monthly bill for basic services has been $99.77 consistently, which I pay but thought was high for basic services. Then in March it went up to $113.42, for a $14.52 increase, and in April to $127.94 for another $13.65 increase. The total increase is $28.17 per month to date for these basic services.

To my knowledge, I have received no advance warning or other information from Comcast about these increases.

Please let me know what is going on. If I will have to pay this much as a loyal customer to receive so little (the Internet service at home is quite slow compared to the one we have at work), I will have to consider changing to another carrier.

Thank you.

The Help Forums are monitored primarily by other customers like yourself.  We do not have access to your Account at all.  You can call 1-800 comcast and speak with someone in the Billing Department to inquire where/why you have received these increases. 

OR- You can view your Billing Details online, to identify where the increases are by comparing previous bills against the most current ones. (sign in with your Primary Username/password, and click on My Account)

When it comes to your Internet connection speed:  That would depend on which 'tier' you are paying for- The faster the tier, the higher the price.  You can also ask the Comcast Rep what Tier you have and what the speed is of that tier. 

If your think your speed is slower than what it should be, start a post in the Connection & Modem Forum and one of the Experts there might be able to help you.

If you receive a paper bill in the mail, you should see upcoming service changes on your billing statement too.  I see mine under "News from Comcast'.  In addition, twice a year or more, Comcast will have the current pricing listed at the very end of your online billing statement.

I hope all this information helps you.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor
unhappyness

Re: Total bill increased $28.17 in two months, with no forewarning or announcement

The only reason they charge extra like that is to try and force you to bundle. I myself have more or less basic service, but in the passed 4 to 5 months my bill has gone up atleast 12 dollars. For what I have that should not happen. Shouldn't have to pay 100 dollars or more for basic service.

I am getting to the point of removing the TV service and only have internet. If the internet continues going up I will be removing that aswell.

See if quest can give me a better deal.

New Visitor

I am here checking on pricing changes, too. My bill just made a big jump. The title of my TV service seems to have changed, and the price jumped from $151 to $178 with no warning. I was already dissatisfied with the phone service and with internet difficulties and had been considering making changes, even to a new provider. 

I read the company response to the inquiry and was not impressed or convinced. I find these increases frustrating. I agree that loyal customers with longer service seem to receive little advantage. That seems to be reserved for new customers. Also, the additional "services" are not anything I need or want, especially if they bring this increase in prices. 

I will be calling during business hours to make changes to my service. Thank you.

New Visitor
loycust

There appears to be a EPIDEMIC of unannounced price increases by Xfinity/Comcast. My bill increased $33..No warning, no reason, and no apparent concern about what I think as a customer. This breeds a lack of trust, apparent dishonest business practices and could feel to some as though the company is quietly extorting from its customers during tough economic times. This reminds me of large banks. Such behaviors with customers is not sustainable--long term.

Contributor

I too received a much higher bill, $15.35 more than the previous month with no warning and no explanation.  I contacted customer support and they explained that I was on a promotional plan with had two steps and that the second step just started...but no warning and no explanation and no apologies...I considered switching so I called direct tv but found out that they're more expensive than my current comcast bundle - tv, phone and internet.  I'm not unhappy with Comcast except for this billing issue.

New Visitor

These stories are so similar. I, too, was told that a seond year of special promotion had just ended. I had never been told there was a second year. Last time, I was told my rates went up because the promotion I was on had ended. Certain services I had been promised never worked. I was just told that the set-up I have doesn't support the services. Why I wasn't given the proper equipment I have no idea.

In the midst of discussing changes and perhaps dropping phone coverage, my call was ended. The representative didn't call back, even though I was in the middle of asking for additional explanation. They had my number since it is used as ID. When I called back, I found my phone service had been dropped, without my consent, and that the contract had been changed. The service representative could not reconnect me with the original person, could not reinstall my phone, and I am now waiting for a supervisor's call within the next hour. I have been trying to resolve this for two hours and now have an hour more to wait.

WOW is in my area and the offer seems much better and guaranteed until 2014.  Since there are other issues regarding service, that may be the way to go for me.

Email Expert
CCCarole

i wish I could say that the Supervisor will call back, but our experience here shows that rarely happens.  I hope you are one of the lucky ones and does get the call back.  If NOT, I would recommend that you send an email to the We Can Help Comcast Team.

We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

.Please include all of the following in your email:

Service address

The full name on your account

Home phone number & an alternate number where you can be reached if possible

Your Comcast Account number

A link to this Thread

A detailed description of the problems

CC

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

New Visitor
saffire27330

I don't think switching to just internet is going to solve your problems.  My bill increased 33.66 in the past month...with no changes being made on my end.

I stumbled across this forum in an attempt to reach customer service to let them know they had made an error with my bill....Now, seeing many ppl, recently posting with the same complaint, I am thinking there is not accident to this.

It is so frustrating.  These days we have to be watch dogs over ever service we receive or do not receive.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

you know what I don't understand?  Why can't comast raise their prices.  Comcast is a business and like any other business has the right to raise a price.   Gas is almost 4 a gallon milk goes up daily, gas and electric the same why should your cable be any different. you don't get more you just pay more.   I don't like it either but its business.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

[ Edited ]

Yeah it's business but what would also be nice to see in rate increase notices especially on the tv end would be the reasons. I can imagine a fair share of tv increases is carriage fees have increased but it would be nice to know the reason.

When your natural gas increases they usually inform you why, normally the cost to buy it went up but they still tell you.

My latest increase was larger on the Internet side. Cost increase for the power to run the servers? Pay raise for the employees (something I don't get at my job and not on a regular basis)? Buying new equipment? Just tell us why. I mean most tiers get speed boosts with little or no increases at times. I pay for Economy because it is what I can afford. Raise in rates, no plans for any speed increases on that tier: I asked. Wonderful but I can understand the logic. I live with it.

Comcast has to remember a couple of things. We pay them for the service so updated information would be nice. Also they like to consider themselves a communication company in some aspects or at times a ISP. My last ISP had better communication to it's custumers on outages(after the fact but an explantion), notices beforehand of planned maintenance and updates if it changed, etc. Comcast not that good.

And for any of the mods/volunteer experts I know this should have been a PM. Last posting on this thread so don't worry.

Contributor

Customer service has never been a strong point for Comcast, though I have to admit that it has improved somewhat in the past couple of years.  But get an apology, or some consideration for a poor management system, forget it!  They still provide generally good service and I found out today that direct tv is more expensive for comparable service, so there's no clear alternative.

New Visitor
saffire27330

New Visitor
saffire27330

rog286713 -

$33+ from one month to the next? That is s not a simple cost of living business increase. It is called USERY and it used to be against the law. I am going to take a guess and say you did not get a startling surprise when you looked at YOUR bill this month or you are a Comcast representative. You REALLY think this is like an 4 cent increase in MILK? At least the consomer is warned via the grocery ad...
Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

My bill did not increase, increases in bills are per region as comcast is not just one company it is a bunch of franchises.  You will most likely see increases like this in areas where there is no competition.   Where I am I have 3 other options for my services.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

[ Edited ]

So what does Comcast consdier competition anymore?

2 satellite services available, local phone company. Charter in the state. Mediacomm in the state also. Several other telcos that offer service. And Comcast in my city doesn't even offer phone service, not sure about headend.

Rates increased. If Comcast just considers Verizon and ATT UVerse competition than a lot of "franchises" are out of luck.

I guess I replied after all. But had to ask the question

Email Expert
CCCarole

Rog is voicing his opinion of reasons for increases, but he does not work for Comcast, and I don't feel he can answer the questions about WHY increases.  That would have to come from Comcast and I doubt you are going to get that answer from them.  Remember too, Comcast is a for profit company, they have stock holders that they answer to. 

Commanguy, none of the utilities (Comcast is not a utility) in my area gives me reasons for increases, I just see them on my bills.  As for gasoline prices, we assume the reason for the increases is because the cost of buying a barrel has increased somewhere in this world.  The same as we assume other price increases are the result of bad weather damaging product (supply & demand) etc. 

I have always felt that if the cost of my TV and Internet services gets too high and I can't afford it, I would either drop down in Internet speed tier to save money, or remove one of the HD boxes I have currently.  If still too high, I would drop the services. In today's economic times, we all have to live within our means. 

To ME, Internet/HD TV is a luxury, not a necessity.

Carole

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

carole

I have already downgraded to the lowest avaiable tiers/Internet service available to me. Price is resonable. And at the time I downgraded I did need to keep Internet for job searches and email for potential job contacts. Not so important for that feature now at present. Personally won't pay for some of the tiers Comcast offers since about 80 percent of the channels don't interest me at all.

And I know that Comcast won't tell us why the increases, wishful thinking, but it would be a nice change.

Overall there was one nice surprise with the last changes made with the small tv rate increase for my tier, they added MeTV to our lineup.

The headend area gets ThisTV also so I didn't expect to get MeTV added and the local office had been told that we probably wouldn't get it this far from the headend. Pleasant surprise.

Thanks for the response. And I agree we don't know why a lot of prices go up. Utilities in my area need to get certain rate increases approved and the reasons behind the request. They usually get them but at least we know why.

New Visitor

It's been very interesting to read all of the different responses. I agree that a company has a right to increase fees. My disagreement is with being told it was because the second year of my "special" program had expired. It was originally a one year offer, and when it expired one year ago, prices went up. At that time, it was an expected change. This one wasn't. I felt I was being manipulated. Also, I have received explanations from other companies for increases, even when there is only one provider for the service, such as water.

I also agree I can change if I'm dissatisfied. I do need some kind of phone and internet connection, but I don't need the highest levels. Also, there are other companies if I choose to change.

I was trying to solve this issue with Comcast for over five hours yesterday. Two of the representatives were very helpful, some were less so. The entire process was frustrating and too complicated to go into here. Needless to say, there are still issues that are unresolved, but there have been some satisfactory changes. At present, I'm sticking, but as has been stated by others, I always have a choice.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for your feedback.  It's frustrating when I company can basically charge what it wants and raise its charges when it feels like it.  Two increases, though relatively small, in two months just seemed like too much.  Haven't five hours at present to haggle--do hope you got some good concessions, and don't really want to change because of all the hassle involved and because AT&T would be no improvement.  Will have to look in to other providers.

Appreciate the time you took to respond.  Thanks again and good luck.

D.

Regular Visitor

Glad you're getting what you need.  There should be an obligation on the part of any company that plans a price hike to let the customer know before it occurs.  All the deregulations that have taken place over the last decade and more have removed the responsibility of companies to inform consumers not only of price changes but also of options available. Bank of America, for example, will let you go on forever on the banking plan you first chose, even when it sees from your monthly balances that your situation has changed. Is it worth the struggle to assert ourselves? I think so, but no time to do so.  Can hardly wait to retire so that I can start demanding the respect I feel I'm owed for the $$ I put out for goods and services.

Thanks--will call this the end and thank all again for all your helpful feedback. Can see I'm not the only one. 

New Visitor
saffire27330

I understand that rog is giving his opinion.  it just seemed to be an apples to oranges comparison.

I only receive internet service from Comcast,  I am an online student so that bumps down the "luxury" aspect just a bit....but I CAN go to my public library or wi-fi spot to complete my coursework.  At $36 a month, it was a luxury of a bit over a buck a day to do my homework in my jammies.  To leap from $36 to $70 still makes it reasonable in the big picture...I don't have to drive to classes but ZOWEE...and increase of almost 100%?  

I never had the upload/download speeds promised but I could do both in a reasonable amount of time so I let it go.  I am thinking that when I have time to be put on hold 16 times after talking to a machine when attempting to contact customer support, that at the very least I should be receiving faster transmission?  But I always have been a dreamer....  

Good luck all!

New Visitor
C0mcastSucks

I hope Comcast has some sense to actually listen to customers when they post on the message boards. I too have experienced a ridiculous $35 price increase without any explanation and unfortunately cannot switch because no other providers are in my part of town (although there are providers just across town). It is so disappointing to see a company take advantage of customers. Ethics appear to have gone out the window and companies only care about making an unjustified profit.

New Visitor
Dedeh9

Just got my comcast bill today.  I was on a bundle plan so for the last three years my rates have gone up.  So the last rate increase was a few months ago by about 15 or so and now today my bill has gone up $27 dollars!  I will be calling them tonight.  I'm really thinking about canceling and just going with internet period.  I don't need TV that badly and I don't need my home phone.  I realize that comcast is a for profit company but it cost them a fraction of what they charge you to supply their service.  Google it, it will make you seriously mad.

Regular Visitor

Thank you so much for all your responses. You have provided some valuable information and insight.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who's bill keeps going up and up.  Happy to learn that you are doing something about it. This company has us right where they want us--needing their services.  Is AT&T any better?  I don't think so.  Will be looking at other options. 

Seems this forum is one set up by Comcast for customers to reach each other, but doesn't appear that Comcast reads these messages. Comcast has constant TV ads, nice trucks, and lots of happy employees in nice uniforms, so that's likely where the money is going--most right to the top. 

Please register to vote--if you are CA, you can register online now.

Thanks again!

New Visitor
Dracspur

I just got a bill where it went up $21 dollars. I also think that I am going to drop the TV and go with only the Internet. I've had enough.

New Visitor
bichons9

I have automatic billing for everything except COMCAST BECAUSE I NEVER KNOW WHAT I WILL BE PAYING.There are so many screw-ups, I spend most of my time straightening out my bill. Just now, I opened my bill and almost fainted to see new charges $224.00. Since I knew my bill fluctuates, i send $160.00 every month to make sure I do not UNDER PAY. To my surprise, they are charging me for "free" services promised to me.I suppose Comcast has a monopoly and have no reason to care because they are the only cable provider.One nice tech supposed offered a 20.00 discount for 6 months that will give us time to figure out what we are going to do. My mistake once, was not to view each bill, since i was being billed for SHOWTIME for over a year and we had never known we even had it. Nor did we order or want it. Comcast shows no order for SHOWTIME and doesn't know how it was ordered. Because I have a block on my TV;s so nothing can be ordered by others, Comcast has no explanation and they offered no reimbursement, since I should have checked my bills thoroughly. To say that my life is ruined by Comcast may seem irrational to most..Comcast has driven me crazy and THE TIME ON THE PHONE WITH THEM IS OVERWHELMING. There should be competition available to prevent monopolies like this. 

New Visitor
bichons9

REAllly!!!!! There IS ONLY 1 CABLE PROVIDER IN HATTIESBURG, MS... PROBABLY POLITICS INVOLVED!!! We have got to get out of here!!!! In Buffalo, NY and Tampa, Fla., relatives are paying less with more services!!!!!