Contributor

Two year agreements

Why is it that Comcast cannot tell customers  what the penalty is for breaking a two year agreement before you sign up for the service?  Terms are only revealed after the service has been accepted. I would like to know what the charges are in advance in the event I must move from the area and have to terminate service.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Two year agreements

all you need do is a simple google search.  everyone knows by now there are fees for breaking your contracts if your locked in to any contract.  same with all cell phone companies.

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/Policies/Policies.html

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I realize I can Google, but that's not part of a legal contract.  I've googled several things regarding Comcast services  and find old offers still around on the web along with out of date instructions on how to use various voice services. .  I want the terms laid out for me in advance, I don't want to make a decision based entering a 2yr agreement based on a web page or an out of date web page that may or may not be around in the future or may be changed frequently.  Not legally binding and a poor way to do business. 

The termination agreement at the link does not specifically point out the penalty. It only refers to one signing a term agreement addendum.  I'll pass on the two year agreement. 

b. Termination by You. Unless you have signed a minimum term addendum, you may terminate this Agreement for any reason at any time by notifying Comcast in one of three ways: (i) send a written notice to the postal address of your local Comcast business office; (ii) send an electronic notice to the e-mail address specified on www. comcast.com or (iii) call our customer service line during normal business hours. Subject to applicable law or the terms of any agreements with governmental authorities, all applicable fees and charges will accrue until this Agreement has terminated, the Service has been disconnected and, if applicable, all Leased Equipment has been returned. We will refund all prepaid monthly service fees charged for the Service after the date of termination (less any outstanding amounts due Comcast for the Service, third party services for which Comcast is the collection agent, Leased Equipment, or other applicable fees and charges).

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

then I guess all you can do is make sure you ask in the future before you get yourself into a contract what the cost is for getting out of it.  Comcast will not charge you if you move that is ridiculous.  You need to call in and get connected to the right people.  google phone numbers in your area for comcast and dont call 1800 comcast.

Here I did it for you.

http://consumerist.com/2008/02/26-secret-comcast-supervisor-phone-numbers.html.

good luck.

Contributor

gee thanks for your input.   Totally ridiculous replies.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

well your on a customer to customer forum.  I gave you phone numbers that you can call that is not the black hole of 1800 comcast. 

Contributor
programaddic

My agreement never laid out the length of the contract nor did it ever specify the amount for which i would be charged should I choose to disconnect.

And the phone numbers for which I were given could never supply either of those answers in writting.

I eventually did find out both when I needed to cancel my service.  Though I wasn't moving so for that I cannot add help.  Every time I called I was told "this is what my computer screen says and I cannot offer this to you".

rofl, so don't ask for a screen shot or anything...

The only help I did get was from this forum to mail me the exact contract on which I signed...which I already had stored in my cabinet.  It too did not have the exact terms.  Shame on me I guess.

Contributor

No way do I sign any legally binding agreement for any service without knowing the fuil terms and early termination fees in advances.   The online description of  the two year agreement states that one must sign the early termination addendum which is presented after the service is accepted. Of course one has 30 days to pull the plug. Still it's a very poor way for any company to do business. It has that Nancy Pelosi "We have to sign the bill to know what's in the bill" kind of flavor.

New Visitor
damonogden

I am furious with Comcast Business.  I am 20 year Comcast Residential client.  Two months ago I get a call that I can improve my internet/phone at same cost.  I have no idea it's a different company.  I have no problem with two year contract, but am not told they want 75% of cost for ending it.  So my total bill goes up $100 a month when Residential raises my cable cost not bundled wiht phone/internet.  I call to complain and they tell me I have to stay put for two years and suck up the losses even though my sales agent LIED to me. Now I know they are "technically" different companies.  I feel cheated, manipulated and abused.  Comcast has lost me as a cliet forever when I first get the chance to escape.

Email Expert
CCCarole

damonogden wrote:

I am furious with Comcast Business.  I am 20 year Comcast Residential client.  Two months ago I get a call that I can improve my internet/phone at same cost.  I have no idea it's a different company.  I have no problem with two year contract, but am not told they want 75% of cost for ending it.  So my total bill goes up $100 a month when Residential raises my cable cost not bundled wiht phone/internet.  I call to complain and they tell me I have to stay put for two years and suck up the losses even though my sales agent LIED to me. Now I know they are "technically" different companies.  I feel cheated, manipulated and abused.  Comcast has lost me as a cliet forever when I first get the chance to escape.

This is the Residential forum, not the Business Class Forum.

If you do have Business Class Service, here is the link to their Forums: http://forums.businesshelp.comcast.com/

And the phone number for Support is:01-800-391-3000

The Help Forums are monitored primarily by fellow Users like yourself.  We do not have any account access and cannot help you.

Customer Service Reps and Billing Reps do NOT read posts made in the Help Forums at all.

IF a Comcast employee posts in the Forums, their Username is always in RED text. They do not normally read posts here either.

I would suggest sending an email to the We Can Help Team for assistance.

We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

Include all of the following in your email

full name

service address

phone number       

account number

link to this thread

full details of the problems

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor
katfog

I would like to know why Comcast was allowed to start these 2 year agreements. They only started this in the last 4 years. I have had Comcast for much longer and I am presently only into my 2nd agreement with them. I am sick and tired of their constantly telling me I need to keep all these channels and pay $165.00 a month. I don't use all the sports channels we are paying for in these "bundels" but has anyone tried to get a bundel without them? When my agreement is over I am probably going to drop my phone service and if they can't give me a minimal channel package which they do have for around $60.00+ a month I will consider dropping the cable tv also and only keep my internet service. After all pretty much everything on TV is on the internet for free now days. Comcast is becoming too big. They own Universal or has anyone noticed on some of the "new" Universal DVD's that it states below that it's a Comcast company? Has anyone noticed lately how sucky the programming is getting on SyFy and USA networks? Both owned by Universal now Comcast. Comcast is presently working on a deal to merge with Time Warner. Time Warner owns AOL...does anyone see a pattern here? Comcast is becoming a monopoly in the entertainment industry. All the decent movies are no longer on the Premium Channels. Comcast is renting and selling all the better movies and leaving the junk movies on the Premium Channels. Cable TV is about the biggest rip off anymore and internet costs are close behind. Comcast charges way too much and because they are owning an ever growing bigger piece of everything it will be impossible to get away from their price fixing.

New Visitor
katfog

Has anyone thought of turning in a complaint to the their state attorney general over some of these business practices? If enough people start complaining or better yet if people would start dropping Comcast altogether and boycott them maybe they would change some of their high handed business practices. 

New Visitor
katfog

This guy said he was trying to get the same cost savings on his residential account. I think he posted in the correct place.

New Visitor
katfog

I never have signed any agreement with Comcast. They have done them over the phone. What I have a problem with now is that the agreement is not appearing on my account page. Why all of a sudden is Comcast hiding these agreements?