Contributor

Why is Comcast trying to charge me $35 to disconnect my Comcast Basic Cable TV Service?

Why is Comcast trying to charge me $35 to disconnect my Comcast basic cable tv serivce?

Do I really need one of their technicians to come out and put a filter on my line on my property? No.

Do I need the person to put the wrong filter on my line AGAIN making my cable modem service disfunctional? No.

Do I need to get on the phone for 30 minutes, be disconnected 5 times by their inconsiderate customer support staffers, and end up making over 35 individual calls to Comcast's customer service department just to have them remove Comcast Basic Cable TV Service from my monthly bill? Apparently yes.

Any thoughts?

Regular Problem Solver
Murphy

Re: Why is Comcast trying to charge me $35 to disconnect my Comcast Basic Cable TV Service?

The only way they can prevent you from receiving the basic analog TV signals is to install a blocking filter.

If you didn't also have internet service they would disconnect the cable at the pole.

If you drop basic TV service, your internet service price will go up by around $10.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Why is Comcast trying to charge me $35 to disconnect my Comcast Basic Cable TV Service?

anon022210 wrote:

Why is Comcast trying to charge me $35 to disconnect my Comcast basic cable tv serivce?

Do I really need one of their technicians to come out and put a filter on my line on my property? No.

Do I need the person to put the wrong filter on my line AGAIN making my cable modem service disfunctional? No.

Do I need to get on the phone for 30 minutes, be disconnected 5 times by their inconsiderate customer support staffers, and end up making over 35 individual calls to Comcast's customer service department just to have them remove Comcast Basic Cable TV Service from my monthly bill? Apparently yes.

Any thoughts?

I have notified the Adminstrator of the Forums of your post. 

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Bronze Problem Solver
lunski

Hello,

Are you able to email your best contact number, service address, account phone number and experience to my email address below? Please include a link to your post and copy of the post so I am aware of the issue.

Thank you.
George Lunski
"Retired" Comcast Help Forums Administrator
Contributor

If Comcast doesn't want me to receive their signal, they can put a filter on the line. I WILL NOT PAY FOR THEM TO HAVE PIECE OF MIND. They can pay for it themselves. Putting the filter on my line is NOT a service for me, it's for them. They need to pay someone to do it. Do you disagree?

Email Expert

You requested the change, you're expected to pay for the work required to implement it.

Lots of companies (including Comcast) will waive installation fees on new installs and upgrades, because they're happy to get your business. But they don't like downgrades and cancellations, since they're losing recurring revenue, and stick it to the customers by charging a fee for the "service" of making this change.

Did you contact George directly like he asked? 

Contributor

"Don't want you to feel like you're being held hostage."

I did contact george. This was the result.

Comcast customer service says there's no way for them to terminate your cable service in their account billing system without them scheduling a service call and charging the customer $34.95 for them to put a filter on your system for their own piece of mind.

Being held hostage.. that's exactly what this Comcast policy does to it's customers.. holds them hostage..

Hostage defined: "someone who is seized by a criminal abductor in order to compel another party to act, or refrain from acting, in a particular way, often under threat of serious physical harm to the hostage(s) after expiration of an ultimatum."

The customer service rep that contacted me used these exact words: "We don't want you to feel like you're being held hostage."

Does this seem crimial to you?

This is not true. It's quite easy for them to discontinue charging a customer for the service, they simply won't do it without "holding you hostage."

Comcast insists they can not cancel your service until you pay their fee to have someone come out and block the service. In my case, I had stopped using their service for weeks, had the cables rerouted in the house to use DirecTV, and was simply asking them to discontinue charging me for a service that I was no longer using.

Email Expert

Re: "Don't want you to feel like you're being held hostage."

I think you're being a bit extreme in the metaphor department. You haven't been seized, there's no criminal involved, no third party is being compelled to act, and there's no threat of physical harm. It's just a charge for a service change that you voluntarily requested, I think it's standard industry practice.

With that said, I just looked through the Comcast Terms of Service, and they mention lots of different charges, but not a charge for termination of services.

New Visitor

Re: Why is Comcast trying to charge me $35 to disconnect my Comcast Basic Cable TV Se

The ONLY way that Comcast can succeed with their 'legal' thievery is because of their seeming monopoly on 'service'. My suggestion is simple...walk away. If you are using their internet service, cancel it and get a new ISP. Email everyone in your address book letting them know of your new address and while you're at it you could tell them why you are switching.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Why is Comcast trying to charge me $35 to disconnect my Comcast Basic Cable TV Se

Locking Thread as it is a year & a half old.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.