New Visitor
smschwentner
Accepted Solution

Cable Theft!

Just wondering...

I know someone who is stealing cable. They have  been reported several times.  I just reported them myself a few minutes ago via email.  However, so far, no one has checked it out. This makes me mad.  I pay good money for my services and there are bums like that who are getting something for nothing!  IT'S NOT FAIR!

Please Comcast, check this out!  My bill is high enough without people being dumb and stealing it!

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Cable Theft!

The Comcast forum administrator has been informed.

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

Hi there - we will look into this. Can you share the full address where the theft is occurring via email? Please be sure to include a link to this post.

Just 'Dete'
Retired Help Forums Admin
Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

Good morning,

Thanks for your follow-up email Friday with your details. Our technicians visited that site yesterday  and we were not able to locate any signs of cable theft. We will continue to monitor the situation and we appreciate your bringing this to us.

Just 'Dete'
Retired Help Forums Admin
New Visitor
CableUser5955

I saw your reply in the forums to an earlier post about cable theft.  I would like to report a theft of service in the building I occupy.  I caught the Comcast contractor entering the roof of the building twice after business hours.  I asked him to show me a work order and after fidgeting for a bit he told me what he was doing.  I was up on the roof yesterday and I can see where he entered the roof area at a later time and spliced the line and ran it to the unit that is stealing the service.

Please reply so that I know this is being looked into.  I have the license plate number of the truck that the installer was driving.  The Comcast logo was all over the truck by the way!

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

The Comcast forum administrator has been informed.

New Visitor

Let me try this way and see if I get somewhere.

I have a neighbor who I believe is stealing cable.  I have called Comcast and chatted online with people several times and no one seems to care. 

I'm pretty sure a Comcast employee that lives on this block was paid to set this up.  There is a box between my house and my neighbor's house.  It has been popped open and there is cable wire running all the way from that box around 2 fences and houses and into the third house.  It has never been buried nor gone "aerial" as you call it.  And when it was snapped by someone, the Comcast employee down the street came over and fixed it for the neighbor and threatened to call police or something if someone snapped it again.  Now considering I confirmed with Comcast that this neighbor does not have cable, you think that employee wouldn't threaten to call any police as he is just as guilty.

Now without having to give my account number, how do we turn this guy in?  I have an address for the neighbor stealing the cable.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

knewell, I am reporting your post to the forum admin.

Please check back here for his reply. He may ask you for more information via private message or email.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Administrator
ComcastLarry

and cableuser-

Tickets have been setup and escalated.

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
Visitor
skivail

Hi,

I am aware of a theft of comcast services by our HOA president. Our HOA office has service (for which the HOA pays). Our HOA president is running a line from the office up to his individual unit (for which he is not paying). I've reported this several times and nothign has happened. Can someone please help?

We pay a ton for Comcast services and this sort of stuff just makes me mad!

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

skivail, I am reporting your post to the Comcast forum administrator for escalation.

Please check by here often for his reply. He may ask you to provide him with more information via private message or email.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Administrator
ComcastLarry

-

Could you Private Message me your account and phone number so we can get someone to look into this issue.

Thanks,

-ComcastLarry-

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
New Visitor
kennethfrank51

Hi this is Kenneth Frank a concerned Comcast Xfinity Customer how can I prevent someone from stealing my Cable Service? any tips on what I can do?

New Visitor
DuckyK

I'm 99% sure my upstairs neighbor is stealing cable.  They have never had cable before and a couple of weeks ago, on a Sunday morning, the "new room-mate" was outside, in his boxers, talking on the phone near the corner of the building where the cable box is located.  Since then the cable box cover has been lying in the grass, all cables and connections exposed. One of which is a shiny new splicer.  I don't think this is right. How do I go about reporting this and requesting someone to come out and look at this?  I pay good money for my phone service, digital cable package, as well as internet service through Comcast. It isn't fair that arrogant individuals, such as my upstairs neighbors, can cheat the system; mooching off all the hardworking customers like me.

Thank you in advance for your prompt attention to this post.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

To the last 2 posters, the Comcast Cares Team has been notified.

Administrator
ComcastLarry

-

If you believe someone may be stealing your cable please let us know.

Thanks,

-ComcastLarry-

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
Administrator
ComcastLarry

-

A ticket was setup to look into this issue.

Thanks,

-ComcastLarry-

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
New Visitor
YuleeBob

I use to work for Warner Cable in Kingsport, Tn. Cable theft is a huge problem. Actually there isn't much the cable company can do about it with an older system. We looked into the problem in Kingsport and our estimates were that 1/3 of the homes in this small town (30,000 people) were illegal. So what do you do? I came to Jax, Fl, lived in a trailer park for awhile and was dumbfounded with the attitude of the Comcast people. I paid for cable. It was hooked up. An hour later, the people next to me stole my cable. I called Comcast and explained what was going on. They sent out a repairman who disconnected their TV and reconnected mine. An hour later the same thing happened. I called again. Same thing. We did this for 4 or 5 times. Finally the repairman put a splitter on the cable to let the neighbors have free cable. Go figure.

Visitor
skivail

Comcast Larry,

I private messaged you about the cable theft by our HOA president, but I haven't received a reply. Do you need additional information? Are you looking into this situation? Again, I can provide pictures if you would like.

-Ski Vail

Regular Contributor
scottryanmead

Seriously you dont get much if you were to 'tap' into the cable line, you mainly get your local channels and some educational channels. You need a box for all the good stuff, and a random box wont work if its not registered.

Visitor

So if somebody is viewing the local only channels with some educational channels, is that still considered theft of cable services?

Reason being, is that I know of a residence that when the people moved in, they were so happy that the cable was never switched off. Eventually Comcast dumbed down the channel offerings and now they only have the local + educational channels.

So is this situation considered theft even though they didn't do anything but reap the benefits of Comcast's mistake of forgetting to turn off the cable?

What if they get a digital setop box? Would that enable them to tap into receiving more channels...even HD, paid movie channels, etc...?

Does Comcast even care about people getting these local and educational channels?

I agree with other's here; it's not fair since us "legit" paying client's are paying "very" good money to Comcast for such services others are receiving / stealing it for free.

Regular Contributor
scottryanmead

[ Edited ]

Yes, if your plugged into cable and your not paying for it, it is theft. There is a charge for that local basic cable programing, it could be the previous people who were living there is still paying for it when they transfered their cable to their new address. That package is called 'Limited Cable' its local and educational channels for $21.95. unless it clearly states by you living there that you get 'Limited Cable' for free then its theft. Prime Example I lived in an apartment few years ago that was very close to the Military Base, so the apartment complex had alot of Military people living there, it clearly stated in the lease that each apartment includes 'Free Limited Cable from Comcast Cable'

Regular Contributor
scottryanmead

I think the box has to be registered to the address the service is at.... When I recently moved, even though cable was hooked up, our box didnt work until I called and had my service transfered to the new address.

Visitor

Thanks....that's what I thought. But I didn't know that there were "free" limited/basic offerings from Comcast. Nice that they provide it for our military personnel though.

So where does one report this to? In this forum or a separate email?

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

The box would need to be registered to an account. So if those people don't have an account and they ask for a cable box Comcast will find out about their mistake.

Visitor

Actually, I have had no problems (so far) with Comcast's service.

- Installation; promptly done by the tech that came out and hooked our Triple Play modem.

- HDTV set top boxes; two were defective so I returned them to the nearest Comcast service center and they exchanged them no hassles.

- Internet speeds are excellent compared to DSL offerings.

Is Comcast perfect and have there been zero issues? No, of course not. But that applies to any company. But for me, Comcast has far better service offerings and customer service than the DSL company I dealt with before. So at least for my current needs, Comast is more than adequate.

This why I frown upon people "stealing" cable; even if it's the basic / limited version!! In regards to this, is there anybody here that can point me in the right direction as to where to report this? Would much appreciate it.

Thanks!! 

Email Expert
CCCarole

Shaluda wrote:

Actually, I have had no problems (so far) with Comcast's service.

- Installation; promptly done by the tech that came out and hooked our Triple Play modem.

- HDTV set top boxes; two were defective so I returned them to the nearest Comcast service center and they exchanged them no hassles.

- Internet speeds are excellent compared to DSL offerings.

Is Comcast perfect and have there been zero issues? No, of course not. But that applies to any company. But for me, Comcast has far better service offerings and customer service than the DSL company I dealt with before. So at least for my current needs, Comast is more than adequate.

This why I frown upon people "stealing" cable; even if it's the basic / limited version!! In regards to this, is there anybody here that can point me in the right direction as to where to report this? Would much appreciate it.

Thanks!! 

The Administrator has been notifed of your post.  Watch for a reply, as he may ask you to PM him details.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Administrator
ComcastLarry

Your issue has be escalated and someone will be contacting you about this matter.

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
New Visitor
New Visitor
RGO

Can someone from Comcast Theft department PLEASE contact me my neighbor looks like he ran wires from my box out back to his house! I called comcast and they gave me some number with a recording and NO ONE ever gets back to me????

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

I will report your issue to the forum admin. Please check back here often for a reply.

In the meantime, you may want to grab a camera and take pictures of the lines.

Administrator
ComcastLarry

I received your Private message and setup a ticket for this. Someone will be contacting you.

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
New Visitor
New Visitor
RGO

Thank you still waiting....

New Visitor
Customer0111

I would like to report someone I know is stealing cable. They have ran a line from their neighbors house, and you can plainly see the splitter in the middle of the line, where they didn't have a long enough line. I have reported this person several times and they still continue to get free cable, whereas if u don't pay my bill every month I would be disconnected. It's not fair, not to mention illegal! Can someone please help?! I can provide the address or any other needed info. Thanks in advance!
Cable Expert
JayInAlg

A rep from Comcast has been notified of your post and will contact you for details.

Watch this post and your email for updates from him or someone local.

Administrator
ComcastLarry

-

We wil look into your issue also. 

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
New Visitor
ebware

I HAVE A NEIGHBOR THAT IS STEALING CABLE HE HAD SOMEONE BREAK OPEN THE BOX AND CONNECT HIS CABLE NOW HE HAS BEEN ENJOYING CABLE FOR OVER A YEAR AND BRAGS ABOUT IT. COMCAST HAS CAME OUT BEFORE AND DISCONNECTED IT BUT HE CONNECTED RIGHT BACK

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

ebware

A rep from Comcast has been notified of your post and will contact you for details.

Watch this post and your email for updates from him or someone local.

Official Employee
ComcastSteve

Can you send me an email with the address of the incident?

Steve Teow

New Visitor
TT10

I have a neighbor who has what she calls a "hot box" in her house which she says she gets free Comcast cable from.  Not sure how it works but she claims that she gets all the digital and premium channels through it for free and that she's had it for years!  How infuriating when my bill runs over $200 per month!  How do I report her and her husband?  This theft and arrogance drives me crazy!

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

TT10 wrote:

I have a neighbor who has what she calls a "hot box" in her house which she says she gets free Comcast cable from.  Not sure how it works but she claims that she gets all the digital and premium channels through it for free and that she's had it for years!  How infuriating when my bill runs over $200 per month!  How do I report her and her husband?  This theft and arrogance drives me crazy!

TT10

The Comcast Admin on this forum has been notified and will followup with you to get specifics.  Watch this post and your email for a response from the team.

Administrator
ComcastLarry

-

Our team has been notified.

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
Visitor

Contrary to what many think, cable companies don’t want to address the problem of cable theft.  Why? Because as cable and internet service has improved and adapted so have the illegal methods for pirating those services.  I was informed (by a dirty Comcast sub contractor) that the new way to steal cable service is to target customers with multiple boxes, access and slightly alter their accounts, (often adding additional boxes or services without the customers authorization) then take the added box (which the legitimate customer never sees or knows anything about) and sells it as a "hot box" for a flat fee usually a couple hundred dollars.  It's actually easier to miss than you may think, especially since your cable bill is probably never the same amount each month (double check to be sure)  According to this guy the "hot box" will continue functioning as long as the legitimate customer continues to pay the bill. Obviously there is a bit more involved, but basically what happens is you end up paying for a box that you never have while your neighbor down the street enjoys all 200 channels that you're paying for.

Why doesn't the “cable company” care??

Well because a customer is a customer.  The “cable company” doesn't particularly care where the money is coming from just as long as it keeps coming.  In other words, if my monthly bill is $100.00 plus tax and the various other fees, and “a dirty employee” decides to add an additional box onto my account (which may cost around 10-20 bucks give or take).  That's 10-20 additional dollars that the “cable company” profits. Now compare the cost of investigating, targeting and eliminating cable theft with the potential money that the “cable company” makes by turning a blind eye, then consider the fact that those people that do have pirated cable are not likely to go out and get legal cable once their "hot box" is taken, or worse yet perhaps they'll even go with a cheaper provider such as Dish or Direct.  When you think about it….it’s not very profitable to eliminate cable theft.  Remember even stolen cable gives the “cable company” an invitation into your living room for advertising and promotions.

The bottom line is the “cable company” actually profits from certain forms of pirated cable, and they would actually lose money if they put in the time and money to eliminate it.  So I'm sorry my friend but pirated cable is big business and isn’t going anywhere anytime soon (regardless of what the “cable company” says to reassure you)

What can you do??  Well, you can start by calling your cable provider and explaining to them that you don't want anyone making any changes to your account without authorization from you.  You can then ask for a complete breakdown of every fee and tax on your bill. You can also continue to report your neighbors (perhaps one day something will be done)

New Visitor
melsbarns1

I have someone who may be stealling cable.  The address is 920 SW 131st way.  There is a cable coming from my property to his above ground.  I feel this is dangerous.  I have children and pets playing in my yard.  Please fix this.  Thanks

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

melsbarns1 wrote:

I have someone who may be stealling cable.  The address is 920 SW 131st way.  There is a cable coming from my property to his above ground.  I feel this is dangerous.  I have children and pets playing in my yard.  Please fix this.  Thanks

The Comcast Cares Team has been notified of your post and will follow up.

Administrator
ComcastLarry

-

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, the team has been notified of this.

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
New Visitor
sunflowerchild

Re: Cable Theft

I also would like to report cable theft.  I know someone who has been bragging about being able to get all the channels and only paying a one-time fee of $300!!! This really upsets me as well as the fact that I have left several messages on the automated number for reporting cable theft, only to have no one look into this matter.  Can someone please assist me?

sunflowerchild

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Sunflower

The Comcast Cares Team has been notified and will follow up.

Watch this post and your emai for updates from the team.

Administrator
ComcastLarry

-

I have submitted this case over to your local area for investigation.

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
New Visitor
dunwoody30350

There is a guy living at 801 Wedgewood Way, Atlanta 30350 who has spliced into his neighbor at 802 three times now.  Comcast has come out twice (the second time was this morning) and unhooked where they spliced in.  I just checked, and it's hooked back up again!  The guy who lives in 801 is a Comcast Tech.  His GA tag # is: AEW 3755 and his vehicle # is: 47522.  This is really bad when an employee of Comcast is stealing cable from his neighbor, and Comcast does nothing about it.

Bronze Star Contributor

Why would an Employee of Comcast be stealing cable?  Employee's get free Cable...