Visitor
carhar

Cannot not get OWN- Oprah's channel

I was told what channel I could get OWN on  but when I went there it said I was not authorized.  Why am I being locked out of that channel?  I have digital programming.  In my area is is #220

95616 zip

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Cannot not get OWN- Oprah's channel

OWN and the previous Discovery Health is on Digital Preferred on most systems.

You need to subscribe to Digital Preferred for about $16 a month over digital starter to watch OWN.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

What level of "digital" service do you subscribe to; Digital Starter?,Digital Economy?

And what package is OWN/Discovery Health available on? In my zip code it would be on Digital Preferred only.

The "not authorized" message would indicate that the channel it is offered on is not part of the package you pay for.

Digital service is now a catch all term for all service levels above Basic. And since all broadcasters transmit their signals digitally the Basic level of service has those signals transmitted into a home and converted to be used as "analogs."

Visitor
carhar

Thanks for that info.  Anything more to up the price I am now paying for comcast TV.  It almost makes me want to change to the Dish Network, or some other provider.  For what I am paying there is not much on TV any more that is worth watching.

Bronze Star Contributor

[ Edited ]

15 on Olathe but on her Website it says 25 and we don't have that channel.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Oprah says it's on channel 15

op ola.JPG

New Visitor
marshamarsha

I am so disappointed! When I go to Oprah's station, I get the "Not authorized" message. I don't recall her ever saying in her announcements building up to the new show, that some cable customers would have to pay more to watch her.

Ironic, for whenever she has money saving advice on her show, one of the first things suggested is to either eliminate, or reduce cable costs.

I watched the debut shows (at a friend's Direct TV) on New Years Day, and they were great. I wish Oprah all the best in her incredible endeavor, but I think I will be left behind on this one. I can't afford to add another expense to my monthly bills.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

It seems OWN is only on lower tiers at DirecTV.  Dish, U-Verse and Comcast all have OWN on upper tiers of programming, due to the monthly cost per subscriber that is passed on to the network.

Suze Orman says the same thing, save money by cutting cable costs, but then you wouldn't be able to watch her show either.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

In my area, Discovery Health was on ch. 49. No problems watching it with the cable hooked directly to the TV.

The tv now has a DTA, OWN is ch. 49 which can be received.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

With all the posts about OWN since new years, I did mention on one post, that there are some systems that it is part of expanded basic, but it is rare.

All things are not the same in Comcast-Land.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

I did see "some systems". I just wanted to mention that it's available in my area with expanded basic.

Of course, that could change at any time.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor
coolarmymom

I am in the 98516 area and you have to pay extra to get channel 220 in less you have digital preferred.

Anything to get more money out of us.

Contributor
qlr7

At least she is listedin your area... in Tallahassee, she would be on 70. However, that channel number isn't in the listings. I guess I don't have a high enough tier. I'm only on Digital Economy. There is a $28 jump between Digital Economy and Digital Starter. No Oprah for me... I have other things I can spend that kind of money on.
Visitor
carhar

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who is upset about not being able to get OWN with out paying extra for a Digital upgrade.  the same thing is happening now when I want to watch the Cooking Channel.  Hungry Girl just got on that channel and now I can not get that. Bummer"

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

In my area OWN is on Digital Preferred. From Digital Economy that would be another $43 just for the television portion, and Digital Economy is not even the lowest tier we have. From Limited Basic it would be an additional $61/month. Seems like all the good channels go there. We used to have NatGeo on Expanded Basic with Time Warner but that got bumped off shortly after Comcast took over; Digital Preferred. I used to watch that channel a lot. Must be the cost factor for those channels.

Contributor
qlr7

[ Edited ]

Apparently, the OWN site has some bugs (or the Comcast info given to them was faulty). In Tallahassee, OWN is on 32 and I definitely am able to access it on my Digital Economy plan :smileyhappy: So an upgrade is not required for me to get it.  Not sure whether an HD feed is available, but I don't think it's in my area.

I do remember the old Discovery Health being on 70 a while back before being pushed off the analog tier...

Visitor
carhar

After all of my complaining, I finally got bumped up a notch.  Now I can get OWN, cooking channel, and many many others that I didn't get with my package.  I ordered a DVR from them instead of just the HD cable box, talked face to face with a real person at one of their comcast stores, and complained that I wanted these other channels. I got them and I am only paying the same price as I have paid.

Just go out to your nearest comcast store and talk to someone.  You just might get somewhere with them.