Contributor

Cannot record series at specific time

With too many programs being broadcast during prime time, there is a need to record these programs later in the evening - most likely after midnight.

The problem is that when you push the record button an a program that starts at 1;00 AM the red button shows up for one event.

When you click on the program guide on the recorded program one of the choices is to record a series.

That is exactly what I want to do.  Unfortunately, there are only three choices.

1. New - the program is being recorded at 1:00 AM and it is not new.

2. New and duplicates - not sure what this does, but it sounds like it looks across the entire day.

3. Duplicates only - once again not sure if it looks across the entire day.

There does not seem to be a simple choice like "record this program on this day, at this time, on this channel"  (the old SA unit said exactly this).

I then tried the "manual" method.  I set up the start time, and end time, and it worked.

Big Problem - the list of recorded programs only show the date.  No program name or info.  When you list recorded programs you get nothing but the date.  This is useless.

What to do?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Cannot record series at specific time

you are correct the old SA guide had that feature but the new software does not. 

so are you saying your recording two shows and you need to record a third so you want to do it later in that day?  If that is the case you should do new and duplicates.  What will happen is if you have two series set that third will be cancelled then it will record it everytime its on.  The downside is the more it airs the more it will record.  Most prime time shows are only shown once per day though, so I don't know how your going to tape it after midnight, unless its a show on a cable network or something like that.   Then what you would have to do is go to your scheduled recordings and see what its going to record and delete them before they start.  Its a lot I know Ive been doing it for year.  I have 2 dvr's which helps alleviate the problem. 

Contributor

I understand that there are several newer releases of the Guide now being used on the Motorola unit.  My suggestion would be to find out if the new version has this feature of a simple "record this program on this channel each week at this time".  If not, the question is how to get this feature added.  It would be nice to know who actually develops the software.

Strange how something so simple, is simply overlooked by the developers of the Guide, when Scientific Atlanta has been doing this for many years.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

The I-Guide is developed by Rovi http://www.rovicorp.com/ 

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

the newest motorola guide does not have this feature either.

Regular Problem Solver

RDSigrist wrote:

With too many programs being broadcast during prime time, there is a need to record these programs later in the evening - most likely after midnight.

The problem is that when you push the record button an a program that starts at 1;00 AM the red button shows up for one event.

When you click on the program guide on the recorded program one of the choices is to record a series.

That is exactly what I want to do.  Unfortunately, there are only three choices.

1. New - the program is being recorded at 1:00 AM and it is not new.

2. New and duplicates - not sure what this does, but it sounds like it looks across the entire day.

3. Duplicates only - once again not sure if it looks across the entire day.

There does not seem to be a simple choice like "record this program on this day, at this time, on this channel"  (the old SA unit said exactly this).

I then tried the "manual" method.  I set up the start time, and end time, and it worked.

Big Problem - the list of recorded programs only show the date.  No program name or info.  When you list recorded programs you get nothing but the date.  This is useless.

What to do?

found the below on the comcast voices blog entry dated july 20

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-guide-for-scientific-atlanta-cable-boxes.html

You should also be able to manage your series priorities to catch your third series in its off-hours. |

If multiple series are scheduled at the same time, you can change the priority in which you want programs to be recorded. From the DVR Menu select Manage My DVR, and then Series Priority to modify. Page 9 on the link below has the steps for that.

http://por-chr.cimcontent.net/ui/pdf/meetyourguide/S25_DVR_0111.pdf

We do have a Record this time and this channel only option directly from the DVR set up menu in an upcoming release coming to many SA/Cisco areas later this year.