Visitor
Accepted Solution

Change in Music Choice channels

There was a notice in The Tennessean where Comcast is changing the lineup for the Music Choice channels. I don't mind the lineup change except that now I don't even see a Bluegrass channel. Is it being deleted? I hope not.
New Visitor

Re: Change in Music Choice channels

Sorry, but Bluegrass is one of the channels that is being deleted.

MusicChoice is changing its lineup of channels nationwide: http://www.musicchoice.com/channelchange/

Contributor
Contributor

Direct TV has 2 Bluegrass stations.  I think Comcast made a BIG mistake eliminating all 
Bluegrass.  Guess we''ll have to get Direct Satellite TV
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Or a radio.  :smileydevil:
Contributor
Contributor

I like the commercial free music.  Comcast offered Bluegrass commercial free.  Now only Direct Tv does.  Unless, in this ecomony, you have money to pay for comcast and pay for satellite radio.  Cheaper to go with Satellite Tv.

In my opinion, Comcast has underestimated the loyalty of Bluegrass fans. 

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

IT IS NOT COMCAST WHO IS GETTING RID OF MUSIC CHOICE CHANNELS.

Music Choice made the decision to delete them.  So how can Comcast "underestimated the loyalty of Bluegrass fans?" when it's something they cannot control? You don't blame Comcast when a network cancels your favorite show. Deleting the Bluegrass channel or any other channel is in effect a network cancellation.

"Music Choice is making changes to its music channel line-up effective April 15, 2009 to better serve the evolving music interests of its diverse nationwide audience. Music Choice has added several new music channels that will appeal to its growing audience, consolidated similar channels with comparable music, and removed a small number of its least-viewed channels.  In addition, the names of a few channels have changed to more clearly identify the featured music."  (click the link Gridlock Joe provided for more info)

I suppose customers of other ISP's are complaining that "XYZ provider" is making a mistake when these channels are removed. The reality is, the providers are not responsible for the change.  Direct your displeasure at Music Choice.

Once again, Comcast is blamed for something it has no control over.

And if Music Choice made the changes, wouldn't they also affect Direct Tv?

Message Edited by Queen-Evie on 04-16-2009 03:35 PM

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Contributor
Contributor

Direct TV uses XM radio for there channels.  They have 2 Bluegrass stations.

If comcast wants to keep Bluegrass lovers, they should switch to XM radio also or some other providers that care about a DIVERSE selection of music not just what is most popular with the young.

Comcast makes these choices and perhaps an older or more rural or Southern customers don't matter to Comcast. 

Contributor
Contributor

Queen Evie you sound like a Comcast employee. Are you?

New Visitor

I'm not a Bluegrass fan, but I share the outrage!  My favorite channel, Showtunes disappeared yesterday.  It was replaced by Stage & Screen.  I like  Broadway showtunes and have no need for random songs from movies.  My family & I listened to the Showtunes channel every night during dinner, for years!!  Does anyone know if Verizon Fios will give me what I need?? 
Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

qak wrote:

Queen Evie you sound like a Comcast employee. Are you?

Nope, just a customer like you. This topic was mentioned previously HERE  with a link to the announcement by Music Choice. It's the same link provided in a post by GridlockJoe above. Did you click that link to see what it said? If you had, you would know that your statement Comcast has underestimated the loyalty of Bluegrass fans is a non-issue, since they didn't have anything to do with the change. A google search would also return links about the change.

No where on the Music Choice site does it mention Comcast, Cox, Charter, or any other cable tv provider changing  the line-up.

So many are quick to blame Comcast for things they have no control over. Some of us want to clear up the misconceptions when they happen, so you can direct your displeasure at those who are actually responsible for what is done.

And for the record, Comcast employees who post in the Help forum are easily indentifiable, their names are in red, and they have a Comcast logo underneath their names. They are the only Comcast employees allowed to post here. Comcast is very strict about prohibiting other employees from posting.

One new one that looked interesting is Toddler Tunes. I checked it out and while I like the Carol King song I heard, I don't think toddlers will appreciate it. I probably won't put it on this channel for my 18 month old grand-daughter. Toddlers respond better when the music they hear is a part of an overall package that includes cute little puppets or cartoon characters and lots of color.

Message Edited by Queen-Evie on 04-16-2009 07:15 PM

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Recognized Contributor

GailC105 wrote:
My favorite channel, Showtunes disappeared yesterday.  It was replaced by Stage & Screen...

While it wasn't my favorite channel, I was also sorry to see Showtunes go.  I was also disappointed by the removal of the Opera channel.

Contributor
Contributor

Comcast chose Music Choice which caters what is popular with young people.  Why let Comcast off the hook?  If you General Contractor hired a horrible electrician you would hold the General Contractor to account for his choice.  This is the same thing.  Direct Tv instead chose XM radio which believes in Diversity and appreciating many musical taste.

Comcast better switch music providers or use their leverage as the biggest customer of Music Choice to accomodate their customers. Otherwise, a lot of people are going to make the switch to Direct Satellite TV which is cheaper anyway 

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

There are a lot of us who are "not young" who do like alternative, dance, classic rock, and classic R&B.

My musical tastes are all over the map. I also will miss Showtunes.

Unfortunately, Music Choice didn't take into consideration that some people did tune in to Bluegrass, Showtunes, and Opera.

Email Expert

qak wrote:

Comcast chose Music Choice which caters what is popular with young people.

I guess that must be why the classical channel I listen to wasn't removed. You know how much the tweens like their Mozart. :smileyhappy:

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

Barmar, when I heard about the changes, the first thing I did was look to see if the classical channels would still be available. To my relief they are.

My 18 month old grand-daughter loves Mozart, so she must be the young person Music Choice is catering to by leaving the classical channels.  Figaro is her favorite by Mozart.

Message Edited by Queen-Evie on 04-17-2009 05:02 PM

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Eine kleine nachtmusik fan.  :smileywink:
Frequent Visitor

I agree.  I am very disappointed to see the Showtunes channel go.  I do not like the combination of "Stage" and "Screen" songs.  We also liked to listen to this channel during dinnertime and on Sunday mornings.  They are actually playing Rap songs on this channel now because they are part of Movie Soundtracks.  I'm just saying, when I want to listen to Rap, I put on the Rap channel, I don't want to hear it on the Stage & Screen channel.  Please bring back Showtunes only.
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Why not submit comments here:smileyconfused:
Recognized Contributor

Hi everyone. We ought not to let this issue die away. I was a big fan of not only the bluegrass station, but also the Americana and Big Bands & Swing channels. The latter apparently got merged into a channel called Singers & Swing, but it's not a very good "music choice" anymore. Also, do we really need 3 different Alternative channels? What kind of a "music choice" is that?

I agree with Queen-Evie, etc., that Comcast does not control the programming itself. But I think we all should continue to lean on Comcast to shop around for a different music provider when their contract with Music Choice (a poorly named service if ever there was one) comes up for renewal.    

Regular Contributor

They discontinued Big Bands & Forties music. Figures they would eliminate my favorite.
Email Expert

Everything is someone's favorite. And I'm sure the new channels that were added are now some people's favorites. You can't please everyong. It's like when TV shows are cancelled; there are always some devout fans who are disappointed.
New Visitor
skittikitti

There are only 15 different channels now,  I went to the link you provided and I checked the religious channels and it says there are TWO, gospel and contemporary christian (which I listen to) and that is wrong!! there is only ONE religious channel and of course it's NOT the one I listen to.  Is my cable acting up??? or am I right???

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

skittikitti wrote:

There are only 15 different channels now,  I went to the link you provided and I checked the religious channels and it says there are TWO, gospel and contemporary christian (which I listen to) and that is wrong!! there is only ONE religious channel and of course it's NOT the one I listen to.  Is my cable acting up??? or am I right???

The more recent thread at the link below should assist. Closing this thread from 2009.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/Missing-or-relocated-music-choice-Classical-Ma...