Visitor
jdeppbabe

Comcast Newsmakers

Comcast Newsmakers has been an unwanted '5 minute filler' for many years.  It's time for it to go!  I would much rather have a 60 second local weather update at the end of every hour than to endure another annoying 5 minutes of Seeking Solutions with Suzanne or local 'junk' interviews.  PLEASE!!! If Comcast has a REAL viewer group for Comcast Newsmakers, put it on an access channel and NOT an existing news outlet (HLN). 

Visitor
silverpodgirl

HLN Shows constantly cut off for stupid Comcast Program

Why?  I know that there have been numerous times that the last 5 minutes of a show I am watching is cut off for these stupid "informative" shows.  Many times, the show I am watching announces what is coming up and I am interested in it and it just never plays.  What makes it even more annoying is the number of times Comcast plays the same interuption over and over.  What makes them think that their viewers would rather see these than the end of what they are watching?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: HLN Shows constantly cut off for stupid Comcast Program

The comes up from time to time.

The Comcast administrator has been notified of your post.

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

silverpodgirl wrote:

Why?  I know that there have been numerous times that the last 5 minutes of a show I am watching is cut off for these stupid "informative" shows.  Many times, the show I am watching announces what is coming up and I am interested in it and it just never plays.  What makes it even more annoying is the number of times Comcast plays the same interuption over and over.  What makes them think that their viewers would rather see these than the end of what they are watching?

So that I can understand this better, can you clarify what programming is interrupting your show. I watch headline news from time to time and it is usually interrupted by local news. If this applies to you, Comcast is not inserting that programming. 

Just 'Dete'
Retired Help Forums Admin
Visitor
silverpodgirl

It is called Comcastt Newsmakers.  It is not local news.  Only happens on HLN.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Re: Comcast Newsmakers

This comes up from time to time. Comcast presumably has agreements with what is now HLN to insert the local news. It may take awhlie for those agreements to end. I think it has stopped in some areas.

New Visitor
BethnDC

I hate Comcast Newsmakers! (I know, it's a strong word, but I'm being honest.)

Every morning I watch HLN's Morning Express, and the second I hear the music for Newsmakers I cringe and change to the Weather Channel for 5 minutes.

Why can't they have their own station? Or at the very least, can't they cut over commercials rather than stories I've been waiting to hear??

Should I make these comments to HLN to possible have things changed?

New Visitor
mary5481

Comcast newsmakers just makes me change the channel. A couple of times I fell asleep and as soon as that introduction came on it just jolted me awake. I race to change the channel every time it comes on. I shouldn't have to pay to have my shows cut off 5 minutes early. Why not put it on a local channel? If I wanted to watch some depressed, pale, boring "newscaster" interview local people, I would watch the local public access channels. Even city council meetings are more exciting than watching Comcast Newsmakers.I'm ready to switch to dish or something so I don't have to see it - it irritates me that much. Take it off!!

New Visitor
chainsaw02536

I hate comcast newsmakers. Every morning on HLN I have to change the channel because I can't watch the same interview over and over and over again. Put it on public access.

New Visitor
mrs_sweet

I am glad to see I am not the only one who hates Comcast Newsmakers.  I usually just change the channelwhen it comes on but last night it really made me mad when I didn't get to see what happened at the end ofSaturday Night Investigates.  I feel like I wasted a whole hour watching the show because the last 5 minutes iswhen they wind up the case.  We had Comcast in New Mexico and Arizona (for the last 10 years) and they donot have Comcast Newsmakers (at least not on HLN).

Visitor

I hate comcast newsmakers also!!!!  It is a total waste of time  Where do they find these people. The worst part of the whole thing is that i am missing the end of the mystery shows where I find out who done it!!!!!

New Visitor

please, please, please get rid of the Comcast newsmakers 5 minutes! Who thought it was a good idea to cut 5 minutes off the end of a program for some inane interview?  You're losing me HLN.

New Visitor
hoffchristie

HLN / Comcast Newsmakers

I would like to know why Comcast Newsmaker must interupt the programing such as The Investigaters and Body of Evidence. Every time I watch the last few minutes of the program are cut short for Comcast Newsmakers, I never get to find out what happened. It happens every time! I would like to see  the entire program and for what I pay every month I should be able to see the whole thing.

Please respond to this with some explanation.

Thank you,

Christie

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Re: HLN / Comcast Newsmakers

The people helping in this forum are primarily customers. I don't particularly care for the Newsmakers program either and share your annoyance. I just stopped watching "Headline News" when it stopped being news. 

Anyway, you might get a little more attention if you contact Rick Germano's office. Go to this page and down the page there is a "send an email to Rick Germano" link.

https://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/RickGCustCare.html

New Visitor

Well, thank heavens I am not the only one who finds "Comcast Newsmakers" annoying.  The other night I was watching 3 actual crime solver type shows and missed the end of all of them.  After complaining via email to Comcast, I was basically told I was rude and that if I continued to write offensive emails to them, I would be forever blocked.  At least I don't stand alone with my feelings!  Needless to say, the same type shows were on tonight and I was hesitant to waste my time and miss the endings again! 

New Visitor
bstone049

An extremely annoying segment run 2x an hour on HLN and the same interviews are aired repeatedly for weeks on end. They are politically biased and intended to send a message through repetition. HLN was chosen, I believe, because it is watched by millions. Hey Comcast, there is too much political commentary on the other channels you offer, keep HLN "NEWSMAKER free"

New Visitor
alb690

OMG  We just tried watching Body of Evidence on HLN.  Both episodes were interrupted in the last 5 minutes when you were just supposed to find out "Who DId IT"  What's up with that??? 

Visitor

Comcast Newsmakers

Does anyone else get 'Comcast Newsmakers,'  local community interruptions every half hour?  Here in Western PA, it comes thru on the HLN network and it's the most annoying service.  No matter what is going on in the world, no matter what crisis is happening live, Comcast stops the HLN broadcast to air their Comcasst Newsmakers segments.  It's every half hour during the day.  Seriously, this has gotten on my nerves so badly that I'm considering a switch to The Dish Network.  We have the Dish at our vacation home and it seems like a luxury to watch HLN with out the Comcast Newsmakers part.

Where or who can I write to about this?  Surely I am not the only one who doesn't like this.

Thank you.

Contributor
sunicastle517

I'm not sure if you have a high Definiton box or not.  If you go to the high defintion HLN channel, you do not see the Comcast Newsmaker programing. 

Visitor

We have the HD box on our main TV and I just checked at 3:55 p.m. and sure enough the dreaded Comcast Newsmaker segment is on :smileysad: 

Contributor

Oh!  I sooooo agree!  I am trying to watch the Casey Anthony trial on HLN, and between Comcast Newsmakers and commentary by the hosts, I get to see very little of the trial.  Is anyone out there interested in Comcast Newsmakers???  If not, we should all contact Comcast and complain.  I am going to do so right now!

New Visitor
leetitanic35

I cannot stand Comcast Newsmakers.  Whether it be the Casey Anthony trilal or me just wanting to watch the news, I do not want to watch this infomercial whatsoever.  I don't see you cutting into Dancing with the Stars.  I wonder if CNN and HLN know that you are doing this.  I pay alot of money for the programming that I chose to have.  I didn't sign up for Comcast Newsmakers.  Please take it off the air and stop toying with our shows.  I bet Verizon FIOS doesn't do this to their customers.  Just saying.

New Visitor

Now they are airing the trial of Casey Anthony, and Comcast Newsmakers is interupting during the program.

This is one of the highest rated trials and wish this would stop. They are denying us access to last segments.

Contributor

I am so annoyed with Newsmakers coming on every 30 minutes on HLN when I am trying to watch the Casey Anthony trial live, between this and commercials it's a bit much................... and I am paying for this show?! What a rip off

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

HLN and CNN do know about it. 

From Barmar (in another thead on this subject) in 2009:

Comcast has been doing this forever. Complaints are posted here about once a month, but obviously Comcast doesn't care.

It's a legacy from the days when CNNHN didn't air real programs, and the last 5 minutes of each half hour was just the Lifestyle segment of the news. CNN allowed cable companies to replace this with a local segment, and apparently that contract is still in force even though the programming has changed.

From andyross earlier this year:

This comes up from time to time. Comcast presumably has agreements with what is now HLN to insert the local news. It may take awhlie for those agreements to end. I think it has stopped in some areas.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor
Lonestarlady

Not only is it the most boring drivel ever, it's very frustrating and infuriating to watch a program only to have the last few minutes pre-empted.   Needless to say, we no longer watch shows on that channel where the ending may be crucial to see.

Contributor
sunicastle517

I agree about Comcast Newsmakers.  You can have the most important story of the day on HLN, and they will have Comcast Newsmakers.    Please put it on another station!!  I have complained to Comcast so many times about this show.  Give Harold Camping and Comcast Newsmakers their own channel. 

Visitor

I knew I couldn't be the only one who hated the Comcast Newsmakers!  Somehow it makes me feel better knowing that others feel the same way.

I agree, why not put the pesky segments on its own channel or maybe on the tv viewing guide channel.  Why in the world did HLN agree to this?  They must get plagued with emails, letters and phone calls.

Contributor

Why does Comcast continue this insanity.  Despite their claims no one wants to watch this drivel.  It's so annoying I've stopped watching CNNHLN which used to be one of my favorite channels.  It seems like every time I do watch it, usually by accident anymore, within minutes Newsmakers comes on and I make it a point to switch to another channel before the annoying theme music ends.

I have HD only on the TV in our bedroom and it does not show this annoying Newsmakers drivel.  I have six other TVs that are all standard definition, including another big screen and my den.

I have the rest of the week off and want to watch the Casey Anthony trial.  My wife has told me that unbelievably, Comcast is interrupting the trial  coverage with this Newsmakers noise.

I would rather they interrupted every half hour with a Emergency Broadcast Test.  At least thtat would provide some purpose.

Is Comcast listening to their customers?  NO ONE WANTS TO WATCH NEWSMAKERS!!!

Visitor

I agree that the comcast newsmakers should be on local public access rather than interrupting a national news program.  Why risk alienating so many viewers. Can't we persuade the powers in control to end this nonsensical policy. 

Recognized Contributor
little_devil

move the much HATED comcast newsmakers to the

TV GUIDE CHANNEL

New Visitor
sighber

Does anyone from Comcast ever read these remarks?

Comcast Newsmakers is the most annoying, time-wasting annoyance on TV!  To constantly interrupt shows is a real turn-off.  Most times, I just change the channel, and don't bother going back.  Until the next time . . . when it happens again . . . and then I remember how much I hate watching HDLN.

New Visitor
Hardycombs

I AGREE!!!!  I'm trying to watch the Anthony trial, but the breaks are so long and senseless! Let's all write to the advertisers themselves who appear during these breaks. Never saw such poor coverage.

New Visitor
scortazar

comcast newsmakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHYYYY is comcast interupting my hln channel every hour TWICE, with this newsmakers garbage!!!, i miss the ending of EVERY newscast i am watching on headline (cnn), does cnn know this is happening, i'm not the only one either, i pay for this service and am SICK OF IT..how can this garbage be put to an end, i miss the middle the ending and once in between. i'm a disgusted comcast user, i pay my bill early and never have an overdue, put this garbage on the local channel where it belongs. someone from comcast better do something about this, i see complaints about this newsmakers garbage all over the net!!!!!!!

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Re: comcast newsmakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HLN and CNN do know about it.

From Barmar (in another thead on this subject) in 2009:

Comcast has been doing this forever. Complaints are posted here about once a month, but obviously Comcast doesn't care.

It's a legacy from the days when CNNHN didn't air real programs, and the last 5 minutes of each half hour was just the Lifestyle segment of the news. CNN allowed cable companies to replace this with a local segment, and apparently that contract is still in force even though the programming has changed.

From andyross earlier this year:

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Bronze Problem Solver
UHFhd

Re: comcast newsmakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It may have stopped in some area , but recently it has started up here . I just turn off the TV at that point . If everyone did that at same time while newsmakers was on , comcast would get the message.

Visitor

We have Comcast at our shore home and we are so weary of the Jill Horner Newsmaker interviews, or any of the boring interviews with the useless information.  We will call Direct TV tomorrow.  Personally, I do not think Comcast gives a hoot what its customers think about the lack of quality programming.

Visitor

It is horrible that we get the program interrupted by local news . That is not the place to put those news, please!!!!!!!!!!!

New Visitor

Re: compact newspapers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sugarcoat, I agree with you 100%.  The information that they supply is normally not real news nor very interesting and they do cut into the programs you are trying to watch.  The cut in they do at the end of the hour is the most aggravating of all and you can not find out what you missed on the program that you were watching.  Comcast step up and make the changes quit interrupting with the programs and while you are at it when you do make some changes also get the sound track in balance with the video on the newspaper at least get something right.

Visitor

I DESPISE these Newsmakers things every half hour and turn them off.. Very intrusive when you are trying to watch something and these things are repeated ad infinitum. I live in  San Francisco's East Bay, Contra Costa County. Once or twice a day whould be enough.. PLEASE.

New Visitor
beana103

OMG, I so agree, can't stand the Comcast Newsmakers.once is fine but it is.......just an hourly annoyance, it has been the same junk for the last two weeks.  I am also trying to watch the Casey Anthony trial.  First you have to watch it on TruTV from 9-3 with so many breaks, commercials and commentaries, then watch it on HLN with the dreaded Comcast Newsmakers, commercials & commentaries....I am watching it to see the trial, no all the other stuff.  For such a large company as Comcast, why can't you just have one channel that shows trials with no interuptions, JUST BROUGHT TO YOU BY COMCAST!!!!! and you would have a better customer response!

New Visitor
BeeLee

COMCAST HLN... Casey Anthony Trial The managing network / company is at a VERY crucial crossroads here. If something isn’t done to quell the commercials —and the COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT Comcast Newsmakers (incl. “Suzanne” show) —they are going to forever lose viewers!! I rarely watch HLN due to the senseless interruptions, but have tried to overlook in order to view the Anthony trial. However, today is certainly the breaking point. Between the inordinate amount of commercials and the aforementioned “shows”, I observed hours where there was only 12 or 18 minutes of actual case coverage! In an entire hour!! Completely absurd!!! I consider this offensive as it is disrespectful of my time and level of intelligence. Make the improvements as soon as possible before your company, investors, and employees suffer the consequences…

Visitor

where is the so called REPLY?  I clicked and went right back into the complaints again and again and again.. just like Comcast newsmakers. Oy.

New Visitor
kochees

We agree with all of the above Comcast Newsmakers comments.  Maybe it should be re-named "Comcast Sleep Inducers", or more than that it is getting very maddening actually.  Trying to watch the trial - Casey Anthony - and being constantly interrupted with that annoying dramatic music, then those yes, redundant and oh so boring interviews is just plain unprofessional and totally undesirable.  Jill Horner is a great gal who is so miscast here for these interviews.  She actually looks quite bored and robotic herself. Verizon offers the trial on a channel with no interruptions - time to make the change I guess since obviously Comcast is not listening and/or caring. 

New Visitor
NICKY91

I ALSO HATE WHEN THEY CUT IN WITH THAT NEWSMAKER THING.  IT IS DEPRESSING. WATCHING A SHOW AND ALL OF SUDDEN  OOPS  CAN'T SEE THE END.    THE STORIES ARE BORING 

AND I CONTACTED COMCAST AND RECEIVED AN ANSWER. THAT THEY WANT TO SUPPORT LOCAL NEWS.   I BET THEY GET SOME KIND OF PAYMENT.

SO BASICALLY NOTHING WE CAN DO.

Visitor

BeeLee,

You're absolutely right!  The actual program viewing time per hour half hour is so short.  Having commercials is bad enough and the timing is horrible as the blasted Comcast Newsmakers is preceeded by nearly 5 minutes of commercials and followed by commercials.  That's a big chunk of time taken out of a breaking news story.  Maybe our efforts would be better spent by contacting HLN and registering complaints.

New Visitor

I agree - you sit for almost an hour watching a show and when it comes to the end here comes the comcast newsmakers and there goes the end of the show!!!  Very frustrating and, yes, maddening!  

New Visitor
karko44

I completely agree! STOP withe the Newsmakers break in!!!

You are killing the end of any real news story to give some un-interesting topic 5 minutes every 1/2 hour it's completely ridiculous!

Especially airing a live trial and cutting in constantly!

If it's necessary to air these topics then put together a 1/2 hour that people can choose to tune into.

It's so annoying!

Visitor
Emerson1332

I only watch HLN periodically until now that is. The Casey Anthony trial is quite interesting and this obscenely boring newsmaker program that is repeated over and over is an insult to us viewers who want to watch something other than boring, inane chatter that means nothing except to the person doing the jabbering. Even they look bored. Please Comcast, have some compassion for the viewers who pay a lot of money every month to view what is becoming less and less interesting cable TV. I'm on the verge of dumping Comcast and this just might put me over the edge. You know darn well they will cut in with this sleep inducing program just as the verdict is announced!

Contributor

Just found out you can watch the entire Casey Anthony trial without interuptions online via orlando sentinal.

It's a shame we have to watch this online to avoid Comcast Newsmakers being shoved down our throats.