New Visitor

Comcast a la-carte

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm sick of paying $$$ to subsidise **bleep** channels that should be paid for by the people who actually watch them.

I don't understand why Comcast refuses to offer a more a la carte channel line-up so we can edit out the junk that NO ONE watches. How many freaking home shopping channels, useless infomercial channels and a gazillion sports channels, that are used 2-5 days out of the entire year, does one really need? 

Regular Contributor

Re: Comcast a la-carte

Agreed, it's ridiculous the number of channels I don't pay attention to, but I pay for. Comcast would take a big hit in it's lucrative cash flow though, if it's customers paid a fraction of what they pay now in monthly fees.

The previous FCC chair, had this issue on his radar, I can only hope Genachowski will tacckle it, after the net neutrality campaign.

Recognized Contributor

[ Edited ]
It would be nice, but I don't believe it has anything to do with Comcast
Message Edited by MrDubbs on 10-30-2009 09:15 AM
Regular Contributor

why?
New Visitor

The reason for my complaint is that there are a few channels that I watch regularly. Now, they are lumped into TWO separate tiers - neither of which I subscribe to. So, if I want those channels, I'll now have to pay for an additional two separate tiers of service to get those channels. Unfortunately, AT&T isn't available in my area of the City which has everything I would watch in one tier; so, my only choice is satellite (no really a viable) or Comcast. So, I've opted for only one of the additional tiers at an additional $40/mo. I wrote the other networks to let them know that I no longer get their stations and what the issue was. Not that I expect anything in return. But, at least, they'll know that there may be a decline in viewership in my area due to the split.
Email Expert

If it weren't for packaging of channels, there's a good chance that some of the channels you want would not be available at all. Niche channels only survive because they're packaged together with more popular channels.

So you have a choice between a total of 500 channels, of which you watch about 30, or 200 channels, of which you watch only 15-20. It's not economically feasible to make all (or most) of the 500 channels available a la carte. 

Recognized Contributor

I take full advantage of all the sports channels whats up with the bashing of the sports channels?
Email Expert

Some of us never watch sports.

But I understand that I'm in the minority, that sports programming is some of the most popular stuff on TV. So I understand why there are so many sports-related channels, and it makes sense to bundle them as part of the standard packages. Not that many customers would opt out of them if they could, so it would be more work for the cable company to track this option, with little use. 

Contributor

Agreed, I have cancelled all but the locals because of the garbage that they offer compared with the price to watch only 5 channels.

All of this talk about how much it would cost is absolute garbage. I know that the most a channel costs per 200 subscribers is only in the 1-3 dollar range. There are price lists on the internet for apartment buildings that run their own broadcasting and can buy the programming at it is at the prices I listed above, so don't buy into the argument that it costs too much to buy what you want. Anyone that wants to flame me for this, look it up on GOOGLE.

As a side note, as others have stated, I could care less to subsidies the lower end and cruddy channels. Let the corporate fat cats at Comcast live by the same rules as they preach, free market should decide who wins or loses, not welfare(channel subsiding) And if there was a choice to change to another carrier in my area I would in a second, however Comcast has a very nice monopoly going in our city.

Bronze Problem Solver

troyba wrote:

Agreed, I have cancelled all but the locals because of the garbage that they offer compared with the price to watch only 5 channels.

All of this talk about how much it would cost is absolute garbage. I know that the most a channel costs per 200 subscribers is only in the 1-3 dollar range. There are price lists on the internet for apartment buildings that run their own broadcasting and can buy the programming at it is at the prices I listed above, so don't buy into the argument that it costs too much to buy what you want. Anyone that wants to flame me for this, look it up on GOOGLE.

As a side note, as others have stated, I could care less to subsidies the lower end and cruddy channels. Let the corporate fat cats at Comcast live by the same rules as they preach, free market should decide who wins or loses, not welfare(channel subsiding) And if there was a choice to change to another carrier in my area I would in a second, however Comcast has a very nice monopoly going in our city.

If you only have the locals why are you paying for cable? Locals, in HD even, should be available OTA.

Contributor

Small town far from the source of tv. I can only pull 3 networks (abc, nbc and PBS) with a large rooftop antenna. Plus its the same price with internet to have the locals since Comcast charges more without tv service with internet.

BTW, I wonder why there was a post replying to mine that was deleted from the board, are these boards censored?

New Visitor

Comcast pretty much has a monopoly in my area, too. And, for the $16 or so for just basic cable, it's worth it. Unfortunately, when you begin to add-on packages of tiers for other channels, that's where the waste of money for me comes into play. And, too bad they (cable operators) don't practice what they preach...free market? Right.

I wasn't sports bashing, per se; but, honestly, do we really need 100's of channels that sit idle through the year just for those very few games that are broadcast??? I'm not interested in subsidising those or any of those home shopping channels. I read in some other post a long while back someone complaining about some European countries and the tv tax and how they're happy to not have to pay that in the US. Essentially, in my opinion and mine alone, this type of tier programming I would consider a tv tax. The difference is I'm paying for something I don't even watch.