New Visitor

Comcast vs. AT&T U-Verse

For whatever crazy reason, I have been hanging in hoping Comcast would get it's act together. For some things it has gotten better over the years (after they purchased AT&T), such as finally adding the Digital lineup 2 years ago, providing a DVR (albeit for a very expensive $14.99/month fee), and dropping in On-Demand last year.

AT&T is now offering U-Verse in my area, and although the overall price is only marginally cheaper, they are offering a few extra channels, a DVR that records 4 channels simultaneously (2 HD+2 non-HD), and the ability to watch the DVR from any other tv in the house (as long as it is hooked up to U-Verse). Plus, they offer some unique features on the Voice Over IP service, such as the ability to view your calls from your TV (if you find that necessary), the ability to setup the VOIP to ring to another number if no-answer on your home line, and broadband is actually cheaper; 6mbps for $35/month versus Comcast 6mbps for $45+ month (although during the middle of the day I sometimes get up to 9mbps down and 3mbps upstream).

I am stuck as to whether I should dump Comcast because they refuse to offer more channels and a better DVR and go with AT&T, or just keep them and hope that at some point they figure out how to improve their technology 

The unfortunate curse/doube-edge sword with Comcast is that they are big; big enough to have access to the money to grow all the hundreds of franchises that it has inherited, big enough to be so egotistical to buy AT&T, then gobble up half of Adelphia, big enough to not be dynamic and not be able to offer enough HD channels and live digital channels fast enough to keep up with DirecTV, big enough to just plain not care.