New Visitor
SlideRule

DTA Question

Why do I not get all my channels when using the DTA?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: DTA Question

The DTA is only intended to enable users with expanded basic to receive the channels that they previously could get with analog TVs.
Visitor

Sliderule, I've been on the phone with Comcast for several hours trying to get a straight answer from them about this very thing.

I assume your scenario is much like mine.

For approximately the last month I recieved several notices from Comcast regarding the changes that would be taking place with their cable TV service.  In every single one of those notices I am told that by ordering either a digital adapter or set-top box I would "continue recieving all [my] current channels."

There is never a mention of needing upgrades to my service package.

There is never a mention of additional monthly fees.

This all, it seems, is a lie. I no longer recieve the 60-odd basic cable channels that I've always recieved and am now being told that in order to "continue recieving all [my] current channels" I must upgrade my service and pay more per month.

Comcast has always been a terrible company to deal with, but now they've flat-out lied to me multiple times in writing.

I will be cancelling my Comcast service and signing up with a company that does not lie to it's customers.

Recognized Contributor
Sevebp

[ Edited ]

Sliderule and Kjohnson129

I went though the same problems you did  two years ago  and a relative of mine had another interesting thing with his DTA boxes and his Preferred Package tier.

DTA boxes are the very basic of cable boxes that tune  only Economy and Starter package tiers. Nothing else as you will soon learn as you read on....

Now my relative  had Digital Preferred and was issued a DCT box ( these are the larger boxes that offer On Demand, Music Choice and the TV Listing none of which the small DTA's offer)   For about two week he received all the programming he was paying for with the Digital Preferred tier package on both the DCT and DTA boxes; then without notice by Comcast they  blocked the Preferred tier on the DTA boxes and he only was able to receive the Preferred channels with the DCT box talk about a bait and switch or tease me and then tell me I have to pay more in renting a box to get all my channel on all my televisions  he has four televisions hooked up to Comcast.

If you have Preferred, Preferred Plus, Premier, Sports Entertainment, want to access Pay Per View, Multilatino, International, High Definition, or Music Choice you will need the DCT boxes after the first DCT box there is a monthly rental fee  ( most customers get one DCT and two DTA at no addional change but after that for televison 4 or more there is a monthly fee for each new box  DTA or DCT)  Of course Comcast rushes the customer to get these boxes when they roll out the digital conversion and  never tell you that television 4 or more has a rental fee and forget getting any channel you are paying for higher than Starter with a DTA box or as I call it the dumb box.

Steve

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

Sevebp wrote: ... DTA boxes are the very basic of cable boxes that tune  only Economy and Starter package tiers. ...

Actually, DTAs tune only Limited Basic or Digital Starter channels; Digital Economy customers only receive Limited Basic channels on DTAs. Comcast insists that DTA's are not capable of tuning the rest of Digital Economy, but I don't believe that.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

I think it may be a limitation of the way DTA's are programmed. They probably only have two maps available: Basic and Starter. Economy is a weird middle-ground mainly designed for customer retention.

Visitor

The DTA's can recieve the digital starter channels, since mine did before Comcast began palying with all the tiers.  Now you seem to be stuck with just the economy level unless you want to pay more.

Contributor
GA2012

I am having simular problems when I attached the DTA box, I subscribe to only Limited Basic which should give me channels 2 to 33 and  I still get them on Analogue,  the DTA box will not give me channels 11, 15, 22, 23, 26, 27, 29 and 33.   I spent hours with Comcast yesterday and today, but no help.  they finally gave me 2 options:

1) pay for the  bigger box or (doesn't help I tried a neighbour box and still missing the exact same channels)

2) pay for technical visit (since apparently if you install the DTA box yourself, and you need help within 30 days from installation you have to pay for a tech visit.)

So it seems the whole moving to only Digital service, is nothing more than a scheme to generate more revenues...  Not to mention the DTA box loose the picture on average once every 10 minutes, just for a split second, but it is getting on my nerves trying to watch anything using this stupid box (DTA).

New Visitor
ale47

[ Edited ]

Analog limited basic only got you about 20 channels.  Switching to the DTA actually added a bunch of local channels and others in the higher #'s, totaling about 40.  Digital economy adds about another 50 channels to that.  Digital starter adds about another 40 to economy.  That's what I have on my free DTA's. When switching to the DTA from analog, some channels get renumbered.  Just keep hitting channel up to see all of the channels your DTA's have been authorized to show.  Those channels should match what you see on this page https://www.comcast.com/Clu/ChannelLineUp .

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

ale47 wrote: ... Just keep hitting channel up to see all of the channels your DTA's have been authorized to show.  ...

Whether I use Channel Up or enter the channel numbers directly, the DTAs I have with Digital Economy service skip over any channel which is not part of Limited Basic. Comcast reps, including Executive Support, have told me over and over that's all I can expect. For me, there's no such thing as Digital Economy on a DTA, only Limited Basic.

Visitor

Same here.  If i want to get Economy on my other tv's, then I was told i would have to buy a set top box for each one.  The DTA's only give limited basic.

New Visitor
ale47

[ Edited ]

I know digital starter is possible on a Motorola DTA, that's what I have.  You could talk to 5 different people from Comcast and get as many answers, I've been  there.  I guess if "starter" is cheaper than upgrading boxes, I'd go with that.  I've heard a couple different times that "economy" is a wierd middle ground some areas don't know how to deal with, I don't get it myself. 

*edit*  andyross further up the page might have a good point.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

I think Comcast only has 2 maps for the DTA's: Limited Basic and Starter. I don't know if Comcast just doesn't want to make maps, or if it's some technical issue.

New Visitor
jyumarebel

On Tuesday, November 27, 2012, we lost all our Comcast (Limited Basic) channels in the Port Huron, Michigan area. Comcast has a lot of subscribers in the St. Clair County, Port Huron area, so I was fairly surprised to learn there are no local Comcast service centers in our area. Not wanting to go without TV for 5 days while waiting for UPS to deliver three DTA's, we drove (40-50miles) down to Warren. After waiting there an hour and a half, we finally got to explain the situation to one of the service people, INCLUDING OUR ADDRESS -PORT HURON, she was very polite and gave us three DTA's. I went home and immediately attempted to hook them up with no luck.  This should be easy as pie but we had to schedule a tech to come out on Saturday, Dec. 1... THE TECH TRIED FOR ABOUT 2 HOURS TO GET THESE THINGS WORKING. FINALLY HE CALLED ANOTHER TECH WHO SUGGESTED TRYING TO CHECK THE CHANNEL MAP SETTINGS, SURE-ENOUGH THAT WAS IT.  PLEASE EVERYONE BE AWARE:  DTA's HAVE WHATS CALLED A CHANNEL MAP SETTING INSIDE. IF YOU HAVE THEM DELIVERED FROM OUT OF YOUR AREA, MAKE THIS CLEAR TO THE PLACE YOUR ORDERING THEM FROM. IF YOU HAVE TO DRIVE OVER 50 MILES TO PICK-ONE-UP, ASK ABOUT THIS ISSUE, CHECK IT OUT.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Your opost was moved to a secure area because you posted personal information. Please read the NEW Post addressed to you in the Channels and Programming Forum.