Contributor

DTA channels For "Digital Starter Package"

I received my 2 free "DTA"s and got them installed on the two t.v.s.  I have the "Digital Starter Package" and have had it for quite a few years now.  I had the one big or main digital box on another t.v.

After I installed the DTA boxes, I was catching the channels that are included in the Digital Starter Package between  101 all the way up to at least Channel 504 (Lifetime Movie Network) on tvs with DTAs until yesterday.  I was watchin a movie on channel 504 and changed channels to one of the lower channels but when I went back... I can not catch any channel after 101.  I called Comcast and they reset the DTAs twice and that did not work.  The last one I spoke to said he was checking my channel lineup and said nothing about losing those channels and proceeded to reset the box again.  Still nothing.  Comcast is scheduled to come out here tomorrow.  Is anyone else having this issue?  I am in the Lake County, Illinois area.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: DTA channels For "Digital Starter Package"

The DTA is only for the purpose of receiving expanded basic channels that were lost in the analog/digital transition.  Are you receiving all of those?  If so, you haven't lost anything.
Contributor

Well other than CLTV (53) and Oxygen (63) I'm getting what I had, but when I installed the DTAs I was getting channels past 101 as per "You'll receive more channels at no extra charge" that I was told on day one up until yesterday.  Matter of fact, in the 3 or 4 calls I've had with Comcast I have gotten a different answer almost every time.  To be honest, I don't know what to believe anymore.

Like I said, I was getting some channels past 101 when I installed these little boxes up until yesterday.  Was watching something on 504, switched channels and when I tried to go back to 504... couldn't get anything past 101. 

Visitor

THE DTA BOX IS BASICALLY A DESCRAMBLER BOX SO TO SPEAK. CHANNELS 30-76 ARE  DIGITALLY ENCRYPTED AND  THE BOX ALLOWS THOSE CHANNELS TO COME THROUGH. THE DTA BOXES ARE FOR CUSTOMERS WITH DIGITAL STARTER AND ABOVE SERVICE. THE CHANNELS ON THE DTA CAN BE ALITTLE CONFUSING,  CHANNELS 12, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 128, 136, 150, 183, 234, 175, 176, 504, 507, .
Cable Expert
JayInAlg

On my DTA's the channel lineup was erratic a couple of times the first week or 10 days.  Once my Thomson DTA's received new firmware, the channel lineup is holding steady ever since.

The boxes got the firmware a day apart.  I don't think you need a tech to come out for this.  It will eventually fix itself.

Here's what I am receiving and I have digital preferred + sports, and am on the Algonquin headend.  These channels are on my updated expanded basic lineup, and no DS, DC or SE channels are included.

2WBBM
3CN100
5WMAQ
6WCIU
7WLS
8WPWR
9WGN
10WCPX
11WTTW
12WFLD
13WSNS
14CSPAN
16WYCC
17LOC
18WXFT
21WGBO
22WJYS
28QVC
29HSN
30TVLND
31NIK
32TOON
34ESPN
35ESPN2
37CSNCH
38LIFE
39FAM
40HIST
41HGTV
42TLC
44GALA
45A&E
46E!
47COM
48FX
49SPIKE
50DIS
51USA
52TNT
54FNC
55CNN
56HLN
57TWC
58MSNBC
59CNBC
60MTV
61VH1
63TRAVL
64FOOD
65TRUTV
66APL
67GOLF
68VS
69BIGTN
71TLN
73AMC
74LOCAL
75BET
95TVGN
96GA+LO
98DSC
99TBS
100CN100
102SRCHL
103LA103
104CSPN2
106FBN
110CMP
114LEASE
119EWTN
131HLMRK
138TLN
193WLSDT3 WLSSD-W
194NBC5-WX
223WWMECA metv
230TBN
241WTTWDT4  VME
242WTTW CREATE
243WTTWDT2 PRIME
245WGNDT2 LATV E4
246THIS E
247WMEUDT metoo
248WCIUDT6 FBT
250WYCCDT3
251NBC5-US
504LMN
597GALA
598AZTEC
599WOCKCA
692BIGTENO dup
693BIGTENO
694BIGTENO dup
900COOK CO

Contributor

That's just it.  I can't get a straight answer from Comcast.  I've been told 2 times by Comcast people I've talked to that I should be getting those channels and I've been told at least 1 time I shouldn't.  All I know is I had them and now I don't.  I've had this cable in this house all the way back to when I think it was US Cable and I can never ever remember having issues with my cable till now.  I guess it is what it is. We'll see what the song and dance is when the tech comes.
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Post the results of the tech visit today.
Contributor

The Tech guy was here for right at 4 hours.  He reset the dta box and instead of not getting the channels beyond 101, I got those, but not the ones before, in other words 2 - 101.  He worked that end of it for a while and still nothing... checked the other tv that had the other dta box and it was the same thing.

He checked my "signal" and said that I had an excellent signal.  He still was not able to resolve the issue at that point, so he changed out every piece of cable (mind you... all Comcast installed cables) all the way out to the pole in front of the house.  Turned on the tv and problem was still there.  He was clearly frustrated at that point, took a break and then changed out one of the dta boxes with what looks like an entirely different model/brand.  I am getting all the channels, 2 - 694 that my package (Digital starter) includes at this point.  The other tv he did not change the dta box out yet but mysteriously is working properly at this point.

So... at this point I am assuming that I am suppose to get the channels beyond 99 or 101 on the dta installed tvs because I am at this point.  If I cease getting them, then I can only assume that Comcast has some issues and once again one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing.

The Tech was clearly frustrated at either the dta box or the signal that was suppose to be coming in.  As of this moment, all is well, but this isn't the first time I've said that in the past week.

I give the Tech high marks for what he has done as his end of the work was good.  

New Visitor

I was receiving all my local channels on all my TV's via QAM tuners until I dropped to limited basic and they put a trap on, now I can't get local CBS ditial anymore.  isn't that the point of limited basic? CBS,NBC,FOX and ABC?  and to get the trap removed they want another $35 a month or so.  I wish they would stop broadcasting their old analog locals and trying to make people get their cable boxes just to watch some digital TV when they don't need to.
Cable Expert
JayInAlg

ceberhart 

There has been other posters on this forum with the same issue, CC is moving clear QAM network stations to the middle of the band where basic subs have the trap in place, usually ch 23-75 but varies by system.

What other posters have found is once the migration to the "World Of More" is done, the analog expanded basic channels are removed and the digital expanded basic channels are encrypted, then they have been able to get the trap(s) removed, as they are no longer needed since the basic sub's can't tune in anything except basic channels anyway, as everything else is encrypted.

So, I guess you'll have to wait it out until the digital migration is done on your system, and you can get CC to come and remove the trap.

Where are you located?  The other posters were in Mich & Mass.

I hope this helps.