Recognized Contributor
anita0817

DVR Guide Very Slow to Update - Taking forever

I had to reboot my DVR and before we received the "new guide" my listings would load in an instant. It is now two hours since I rebooted and the guide is still not updating. Also before I rebooted the guide gave me a 13 day listing and now it only shows 6 days in advance. All I am seeing is "TBA" on my guide.

How long does it take for this new guide to update?

Also since I live in South Florida where we get many power surges and the box has to reboot will I always have this problem of slow guide updating? This is very frustrating.

Thank you.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: DVR Guide Very Slow to Update - Taking forever

The guide for the immediate future updates within the first hour or so, and the rest will appear over the next day.  You can obtain an uninterruptable power supply to plug the box into, to provide backup for brief power outages.

Recognized Contributor
anita0817

It took over 5 hours to update, but I am still only getting information for 6 days in advance not the 13 days as I had before. Also now a couple of my shows that I record will only record one episode, not the series.  I don't consider this an upgrade, I consider it a downgrade.

I will have to look into buying that power supply that you mentioned. Thanks for your advice.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

I'm not certain how the SARA guide updated. If the SA/Cisco version works like the Motorola, the guide is sent via multicast on the OOB (Out Of Band channel, a gap between real video channels.) It's simply sent and the box listens and updates as needed. Near-term data is sent hourly, whereas the full 2-week data is slowly and spread out over 8-12 hours. It may take 2 or 3 passes for the guide to full load, because if it misses some data, it has to wait for it to come back.

It almost sounds like your SARA asked for data, and it was sent to it. It's also possible the size of the data may have been smaller and therefore sent quicker.

Recognized Contributor
anita0817

It took over 7 hours for the entire 13 days of the guide to download all of the information. Thankfully, it downloaded with all of my dvr settings.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Seven hours isn't unusual, since the data are downloaded in the background.

Recognized Contributor
anita0817

At least I know that this is the norm and not a problem with my dvr.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

DVR settings are stored locally. In fact, if it's rebooted in the middle of a recording, it will start up as soon as it finishes rebooting, even if the guide hasn't loaded yet. It stores the raw start/end/channel information on the drive. It's the detailed information us humans see that takes awhile to load.

Regular Contributor
Hecbori787

To be honest I don't like the Digital receivers or guide that is used with Cisco (Scientific Atlanta) or Motorola. Though they've made some improvements on the speed, in which the channels change and the time it takes to upload the guide. I bought a TiVo premier and got a CableCard from Comcast and I'm VERY happy!!!