New Visitor
ckm128

Did they take away Tru Tv from expanded basic?

I recently went to watch a TRU TV formerly Court TV and now it says it's not authorized. Did anyone recieve a letter stating they weren't getting it anymore because i know i didn't and I want it back!

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Did they take away Tru Tv from expanded basic?

In Seattle it's still listed in Digital Starter and Digital Economy.  Where are you?

New Visitor

Effective February 8, 2011:

truTV ch 72, 171 and truTV HD ch 247 will move from Standard Basic to Digital Preferred. FSN Plus ch 901 will move from Limited Basic to Standard Basic. CTV2 Programming will no longer be available on ch 901.

New Visitor

I, also am very upset that they took Tru TV away.  All of a sudden it was "not authorized"  How can Comcast just decide to eliminate channels and go ahead and do it!  We live in the 49504 area and have expanded basic.  This is not right.

Regular Contributor

Yup, when I called they told me they mover Trutv to an upgraded package and for me to get it would cost $9.00 a month fpr a time period and then it would go up from there. I've had it with Comcast and I can get Truetv and all the programs I want with another subsciber for less than what I am paying now  and the internet is MUCH cheaper. As soon as the 18 inches of snow on my roof is gone I will be getting a dish and I can say goodbye to Comcast. We had a contract for certain stations for a certain price and when they took Trutv away they broke that contract, NOT me.  If they want to move stations in your current package to a more expensive package they should offer existing customers the higher package for the same price. Very poor public relations in my opinion. Shaft me once and shame on you but shaft me twice and shame on me.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

It is still listed as available on Digital Starter in MN. Seems like a few other have lost this channel also and they are in Michigan, could be a regional decision. Channel lineups for Comcast are not the same nationwide and are determined by each regional market, I don't know how they figure it.

Regular Contributor

When I called Comcast I got the opinion that eventually it will be upgraded to digital preferrded everywhere. Sounds like they are doing it one area art a time.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Yep. Listings as of Feb 1 for Grand Rapids and other parts of Michigan show truTV moved to Digital Preferred tier. Will have to keep an eye out in my area.

Bronze Star Contributor
schimmy

commanguy wrote:

Channel lineups for Comcast are not the same nationwide and are determined by each regional market, I don't know how they figure it.

I think a lot of it has to do with some of the longer term contracts that were regional based (or old cable company comcast bought out) and as those contracts begin to expire, I believe Comcast is trying to go to a more nation wide contract. Within these contracts, a lot of times it requires the cable company to carry the channel under a certain tier or it may be based on penetration ratio. If the ratio drops or increases, then Comcast may be required to change what tier the channel is in due to the contract language.

This may or not be the case with TruTV and why it maybe changing what tier it is in some areas and not others. My problem is, as Comcast does go to these more nationwide contracts, their rates do not reflect it since they can still vary greatly depending on area, especially for the premium channels.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

schimmy

You may have it. I also wonder what is going to happen with the national contracts and the pricing variance in the markets. It will be interesting to see how that works out.

Right now the latest channel line up I have seen for our area still has truTV on Digital Economy and Digital Starter. We were Time Warner until the big swap of service areas. And when that happened here Nat Geo got pulled off the Expanded Basic tier (at that time) within months of the change. The latest change has been to pull Music Choice channels off the Limited Basic and Family Tiers and of course the price stays the same as last year on the new price charts they sent out.

Looks like some interesting changes coming up this year.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Recognized Contributor
Sevebp

Tru TV loosing this basic channel after February 2, 2012

[ Edited ]
Tru TV loosing this basic channel after February 2, 2012

I have had Comcast Cable  (ok Viacom, TCI, ATT all in the past) over many years and have never lost a channel unless the channel merged with another channel like  CVN + QVC becomes one  QVC  and  CHN and Daytime became Lifetime. Even when those channels merged they were replaced with another new channel.   Now  a read that a basic expanded channel  ( ok Starter)  Tru TV  is not being moved for the Preferred package which will cost me an additional $9.00 ( at an introductory rate for six months before the price of Preferred  goes up to the normal rate  yes I get more channels some 30 new channels with Preferred but all those should be in the Starter package as they are commerical sponsored or non Premium channels.

How can Comcast move a channel that was always  Standard/Expanded Basic ( Starter) to a high tier.  What other channel will replace it to make my monthly payment of  $70 acceptable as I look at it now after February 2012  I will get one less channel as part of my Starter Package and still will be paying the same or more  (if there is a rate increase the following month)  I do not feel I am saving with Comcast as the commericals imply.

Steve ( not Seve- an error at registration)

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Re: Tru TV loosing this basic channel after February 2, 2012

How can Comcast move a channel that was always  Standard/Expanded Basic ( Starter) to a high tier.

They have done it in the past in other areas. When Comcast took over my system in the Time Warner system swap years ago they pulled AMC and Nat. Geo. from Expanded Basic(Stater) and of course no reason, no price decrease for the tier, and no channel replacements for the channels pulled.

Also somewhere in the fine print on the terms of service is the little phrase that programming can be changed without notice. Also pricing.

Also if I had to hazard a guess it could be a carriage fee issue or the fact that in some areas they have moved BBCAmerica to Starter from Preferred that they feel the need to move TruTV. In some markets they pulled TCM and CMT from Starter to put in Preferred.

All above comments personal opinon only and best guesses only.

Recognized Contributor
Sevebp

I actually figure it is a carriage fee increase  ( where both parties, the cable company  in this case Comcast) and the cable network can not reach an agreement on mutual fee charged and both parties play the blame game and the end result the customer suffers in loosing the channel all together or having to pay for it with a higher tier.  I feel for you Commanguy and others who have gone though this fate,it is just in all my 20 plus years as a cable subscriber I have never lost a channel that has moved to the higher tier.  Yes here in San Francisco we did get BBC America last month when it moved from Preferred to Starter so I should not complain but still the whole cable tiers never rnakes sense.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

You are probably correct. In my market I have not seen any notice if they plan to move TCM and CMT yet but since they have done it in other markets I figure it is coming. And I suspect for the carriage issue.

We have had cable in this house since 1968 when our city set up a municpal system that got sold to other copmanies. Until Comcast the only way we lost channels was about the same way you did, merger and we kept the new channel. Comcast has been the only company of the 3 that took over the local system that ever removed channels from one tier to another tier. At least when Time Warner started their digital tier it was with new channel offerings that required a box but they left the Expanded Basic tier alone. Not so Comcast.

Best of luck to you. Hopefully they don't mess with your channel lineup too much in the future.

New Visitor
bunnell4

ridiculous if the did take away tru tv ....they charge us so much for the shows we want and then take them away....gonna complain to them about this..

New Visitor
Shweetie71

I live in the Bay Area, CA and it's gone here too. I haven't called to see why.  Figures it's one of my favorites and it's gone.. SO FRUSTRATING. 

New Visitor
Fisher123

In San Jose I noticed my February 2 recordings of TCM & TruTV had a blank screen with "NOT AUTHORIZED". Comcast's automated phone greeting said these channels were moved to a higher-cost tier. This is the last straw. I'm shopping for an alternative to Comcast today.

New Visitor
dannyshosue

We got screwed in Pacifica also with no known warning.

Comcast, enough is enough, poor service, high rates, horrible service since you forced us to go to digital from analog and we only have basic service!   Constant pixellation, program freezes, sound drops, TV goes blank and this is service?

Direct and Dish TV, here we come!

Contributor
jesus_ma

We noticed that it disappeared in Palo Alto as well.  Comcast is really shooting themselves in the foot with this.  We have pixelation, sound loss, and we have to have our signal reset at least once a month (because of loss of picture, massive pixelation, freezing and loss of On Demand).  

Now, they decide to strip away a channel...just because?

Wow. Comcast is lossing its allure. Direct TV and Dish Network is beginning to look better and better. 

Contributor
jesus_ma

You also have to wonder just how many other channels that they are going to take away just because they think that they can make more money if they move it.  

They have removed some channels that we really enjoyed...but we aren't going to drive up our price even further just so Comcast can make more $$$.  In addition, Comcast charges for certain things and channels that are part of service elsewhere.  

We are charged for the HD box (free with Dish).  We are charged extra for a sports package just so that we can access the NFL Network channel for a few games each season.

Does anyone know about the Dish Network?  It seems to offer great packages and its full price is lower than the price that we currently pay.  So, we could enjoy a year of VERY low price before the price increases, but it would STILL be cheaper than Comcast.   

Contributor
jesus_ma

What really stinks is that our bill went up by $10 this month AND they removed TruTV.  So, we are charged MORE to receive LESS.  

This is getting extremely frustrating.

New Visitor

It seems to me that all Comcast can do is raise their rates and take away channels. I watched TRU TV all the time and miss it. I pay almost 200 dollars a month for TV and Internet recently my remote for one digital box stopped working and they charged me 13 dollars to mail me a new one. I'm getting real tired real fast of this nonsense.. I am thinking Dish Network real soon.

Visitor

I live in Central CA and they did take TRU TV away as well as the channel for classic movies and added them to a plan that costs more money per month.

So when I called to inquire, they told me I would have step up two cable plans above what I currently have and pay alot more per month to get these channels back.

When I asked how they could deplete the service plan I signed up for and not decrease my monhtly bill I was told they will be adding channels to replace the ones removed in the future but they didn't know exactly when.

Here is the kicker. When I complained about getting less and paying the same each month. I was offered a prorated rate of an18 cent reduction in my monthly bill. That's right.......9 cents a channel per month for the loss of one of the measly six channels worth watching from Comcsast's useless channel line up.What a rip off...talk about corporate greed.:smileydevil::smileydevil:

New Visitor
happyjaye8

thats what i heard what about history channel?

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

happyjaye

So far no other customers have reported losing History off the Digital Starter tier. You can double check your channel lineup under the Blue PROGRAMMING tab at the top of this page for your area.

New Visitor
oi-oi-kakani

Not only was truTV taken off but almost every "on demand" show has regular commercials that you cannot fast forward thru. On demand has become so bad. Shows are listed out of showing order. Episode will be 7,8, and 10.. where did 9 go?  Shows listed as new are really old and now it takes a full hour to watch a show instead of 4 commercials throughout the whole show, there is a commercial every 5 minutes like live TV. If you doze off and want to fast forward to the last spot you remember, you can't.. you have to watch the whole thing all over again... 

Bottom Line.. kind of a bait and switch.. Find out what the consumer really likes and then change the rules

New Visitor
hoffy2th

Since I subscribe to the HD Premier package I was dismayed that they removed the program from the channel lineup on the sets without the extra cost DVR. When I called and reminded them that I paid for their most expensive service already, I was told that I would either have to rent another DVR for the remaining TV, or rent another digital decoder for $100 additional per year. These people are so arrogant that when they lose customers like Netflix did maybe then they will understand better.

New Visitor
307eagle

I can't believe they took away tru tv now i can't watch my pawn stars or lizard lick towing or any of the other shows why can't they take of one of the news channels or one of the non english channels

New Visitor

I counted the foreign language channels on my lineup last night. 16.. I say if you live in America, speak American. Who needs all those? Not me and I am tired of paying for a bunch of channels I can't watch. Wake up Comcast.

New Visitor
TB643

I was wondering the samething. I didn't receive anything saying why they stopped it. I have been searching for a way to find out what is up. I will let you know if I find out the answer.

New Visitor
TB643

I already pay over 100.00 a month for cable, internet and phone. And I just had to renew my contract. They couldn't offer me the same deal. So I had to upgrade. Now they take away TruTV. Really. I think we will be looking for a new cable company soon.:womanfrustrated::womanmad:

New Visitor
dawnrn

I'm so angry that TruTV/ In Session was taken away.  Comcast wants more money from us to receive it.  Don't they already get enough money from us?  In this economy we can barely afford cable.  Isn't this behavior what drug dealers do? They get us hooked on a product then charge outragous amounts to receive it.  I AM SO ASHAMED OF COMCAST.

New Visitor
dawnrn

Comcast says that they were adding new channels like ID channel because they removed Tru tv/ InSession but I still don't have the new channels

New Visitor
JSnowSJ

Why is my TruTV gone all of a sudden - why do they take channels away?  Eh?

New Visitor
Duped-customer

Re: TruTV

It's the same old story. Recent channel line-up changes in Colo. Spgs. reduced the channels received and increased the cost. They don't have a basic cable service. The Limited Basic service is nothing more then the broadcast channels. Yes their are more stations, if you count the Library, College and school district channels but are required due to the franchise agreements with the city. Take that away and you pay for nothing more then broadcast networks and PBS. HOW BAD OF A BUSINESS MODEL IS THAT?

NO WONDER CUSTOMERS ARE MIGRATING TO SATELLITE SERVICE.

New Visitor
miss-mooie

I agree with you whole heartedly on this one.  I am thinking of changing to a dish also.

Much cheaper and a lot better channel selection.  Good luck to you!

New Visitor
307eagle

everyone should drop cable it should be a protest see how they like it

New Visitor

In the Seattle/South Snohomish County area TRU TV is on Ch 49 which I think is part of extended cable.

New Visitor
danielevans24

I live in Fresno,CA and I just noticed that it isn't available when I went to watch the NCAA Tournament. Way to go Comcast. You're just giving me another reason to switch to AT&T.

New Visitor
Ro50

Tru Tv, one of the few channels we liked to watch now it's gone. It's not worth paying for tv that noone watches.

Recognized Contributor
medziatkowicz

they might have moved trutv to digital starter.

Recognized Contributor
Sevebp

[ Edited ]

The actual cable channels are to blame as well as Comcast.  First off a cable channel like  The Learning Channel is not really an edcational channel like it was in the past , TruTV is not a court room channel, The Weather Channel is not an actual weather forcast channel even Food Network is not a real cooking network.  All these channel have other entertainment and reality programming that is cheap to produce and therefore they can demand that the cable company pays more for subscriber to carry their service,  when the cost goes up Comcast and others can do one of two things   1) raise our monthy rates and with the economy they would loose customers so they 2)  move these channels to high tiers like  Preferred.  Basically we pay more if we choose say Starter or Economy and get less programming options.  It is the greed of the cable channel knowing they can force the cable company like Comcast to change a higher fee and Comcast for playing this game and as the subscribers we loose sort of a bait and switch after the fact and I am sure there are more channel switching planned for the rest of 2012 then a rate increase in 2013.

Steve

New Visitor

Where's TruTv?

What happened to TruTv?

Recognized Contributor
medziatkowicz

Re: Where's TruTv?

More than likely it got moved to digital preferred.

New Visitor
kat1234

it says the same thing on mine and i was watching it last nite and now i cant get it and i didnt get any letter either

Contributor
LarkB

It's in the digital premier tier now.  We just found out with a "not authorized" message on the screen.  Their online CSRs didn't even know.  It took a call to Comcast with an almost 20 minute wait to find out what happened.

New Visitor
1976ta

tru tv taken away ??

How can our bill be raised twice in a year & then  a channel i watch every day has been removed ? . We should be getting what we have been paying for for many years . HOW CAN COMCAST CHARGE US MORE & PROVIDE LESS SERVICE ?? I wonder how that would work for me at my job ? Im gonna let my customers know that ALL OF MY BASIC prices went up . BUT AFTER WE RAISED OUR BASIC PRICES TWICE THIS YEAR they have to pay me EVEN MORE & change thier service for one channel. COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE ...I WILL START SEARCHING FOR A NEW PROVIDER !!!!

New Visitor
musicjunky1967

Re: tru tv taken away ??

I think we need to get a petition going. My TruTv went dark last Tuesday. One of the few channels I've been watching. I think it's a crock that they can just delete a channel (which is part of the channel line-up that we ALL pay for!) and not inform us. Something's not right there...

Contributor
LarkB

Re: tru tv taken away ??

[ Edited ]

We went with DirecTV.  After paying for 100+ channels with Comcast and watching maybe 5, we got TruTV back, Sunday ticket, free HD DVR, 3 basic receivers and HBO free for 3  months.  The best part of it all is they ran our credit and we got a huge discount per month for 24 months, plus a $10 credit for me and the person that referred me, so we wind up paying almost nothing per month (less than $20 with taxes).  And when the contract is up in 2 years and we go up to the regular price, it's still $20 less for more channels (including the ones we actually watch like TruTV) than we were paying Comcast.  Our picture is better too (we had a bad problem with pixelation on a lot of Comcast's channels).  Might be something you want to check into instead of being fleeced every month, then having one of the most popular channels taken away.