Contributor
ezwrighter

Digital Economy Package HD channels

I have had conflicting information from service reps on which HD channels are provided in the "Economy Digital" Lineup.

Experience shows that you ONLY get the locals in HD, but my understanding with comcast was that if you had an HD box, and the channel you subscribed to had an HD equivalent, you would receive the HD channel as well.

Any consensus or answer?

Contributor
ezwrighter

Re: Digital Economy Package HD channels

I want to add that the comcast lineup web page SUCKS for showing actual channels since it does NOT include HD channels in the lineups, hence increasing confusion.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

If you have HD equipment and are paying the HD Technology fee, then you will receive the HD versions of any channel in Digital Economy that is carried in HD.

econ hd.JPG

Contributor
ezwrighter

Interesting...so how do I convince a service rep of that now :-)  They claim that is not the case, and when activated on this package, I only receive the locals in HD with a channel like "DISNEY" which is available in SD, is unavailable in HD. I am paying for and have an HD box, along with HD cable cards for my Tivo and even see an HD service fee on my bill!

Is their a higher authority some place at comcast that can help resolve this type of discrepency?  Multiple phone reps have failed to make any headway and the only way they seem to be able to get me those HD channels is by upgrading to a Digital Starter package.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

You can email to the Corp Comcast Cares Team at we_can_help@comcast.com

Contributor
ezwrighter

If the same people who answer those emails, also answer the phone, I have a feeling I will still be going in circles..but I did shoot them off an email in hopes of clarifying the offering.  Thanks for your help and hopefully we can get resolution on this subject.

Contributor
ezwrighter

Ok, to clear things up, I got this from Will Osborne @ Digital Media Outreach "Comcast Cares":

"The digital economy tier does not include any HD content but you can receive the local broadcast HD channels."

Guess that is the official line, NO HD Content even if your paying for the SD channel and have HD equipment/pay for HD service.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Thanks for the update, that news is rotten, and I stand corrected on my answer.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

did you go here and put in your address and then your package.    I did it for my area and its included. 

https://www.comcast.com/localization/localize.cspx?eqs=57D1BC66B6B0C45E8D24AD44079B71EA30B983FEE7FBD...

Contributor
ezwrighter

I see NO HD channels in any of my local lineups via that tool.  Are you saying you have this package and actually get the non-local HD channels?

Contributor
ezwrighter

[ Edited ]

I just checked again and then used an address in atlanta to get an alternate market.  Altanta shows HD channels correctly in their lineups (Still no channel in their economy lineup), but the other packages show the HD channels in the lineup.

Apprently the channel lineups in the Portland, OR area are just broken and don't show the correct HD channels.  That would be nice to have fixed so people actually know what they are getting!

Try this address on the channel lineup and see for yourself: 2235 SE 11th Avenue Portland, OR 97214

FYI, that is just a random address in the area not mine.

Regular Contributor
nonfidel

A recent channel lineup card for the area where I live has the following footnote with some HD channels that are not local broadcast channels: "These channels are also available with a subscription to Digital Economy.  Not all HD channels are available in all areas with Digital Economy."

Also needed is a HD cable box, for which there is a fee in addition to the price for Digital Economy service.

Contributor
ezwrighter

Interesting, so this might be market dependent.  I would be curious if anybody has actually been able to get non-local HD channels with their Economy Package in any market, it seems like the phone reps were just as confused about this as I was. 

Oh well, comcast made me a 6 month offer for digital starter that DOES include the HD channels I wanted and was very close to the economy pricing and even threw in a little credit because of all the confusion.  Have to admit, it's way easier talking to a comcast rep then ANY directTV rep.

Regular Contributor
nonfidel

I am a Digital Economy subscriberI get the non-local HD channels corresponding to the SD channels, for the HD channels that are available in my areaFor example, I get Discovery Channel HD (as well as SD).  I don't get TVLand HD because it is not available.

Contributor
ezwrighter

Thanks for sharing this.  I guess different markets have different policies on the HD channels.  Corporate response must have been specific to my local market or incorrect...who knows with comcast, their NEVER seems to be a definitive answer.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

I thought the HD would work in the Chicago area, that's why I posted the answer I did, but again, things are not the same across ComcastLand.

Contributor
qlr7

In my area (Tallahassee, FL), it is a mixed bag for me. I do get some non local channels in HD (Discovery, Animal Planet, A&E, AMC, CNN). For other channels, I get the "Not authorized" message for the HD channel (TLC, CNBC, QVC) or the "One Moment Please" (MSNBC, HLN)

I am one with the HD box without the fee... so I'm not too sad.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg