Contributor
Contributor

Digital Economy vs Digital Starter

Comcast just noticed I was paying for Economy but getting Starter for the last two years or so, so they clipped us in West Bloomfield, MI on March 28, 2013.  The channel selection is less than desireable, since the most desired have been removed.  The cost difference is ridiculous since niether service offers any premium movie channels.  It's just sticking in the knife and twisting it until you scream.  I have no other options for TV service in my area so Comast has a monopoly.  To remove a local sports channel like FSD on a basic package is just cruel.

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

Re: Digital Economy vs Digital Starter

Sports channels are very costly.  Most of the money goes to the sports channel. So an economy service removes things that are costly.

Your metro area  has uverse, does your house not get uverse?

Comcast has much faster internet anyway.

Contributor
Contributor

Uverse not available on my street.  At least radio still works.

Recognized Contributor

zas wrote:

Comcast just noticed I was paying for Economy but getting Starter for the last two years or so, so they clipped us in West Bloomfield, MI on March 28, 2013.  The channel selection is less than desireable, since the most desired have been removed.  The cost difference is ridiculous since niether service offers any premium movie channels.  It's just sticking in the knife and twisting it until you scream.  I have no other options for TV service in my area so Comast has a monopoly.  To remove a local sports channel like FSD on a basic package is just cruel.

The "local sports channels" are the worst offenders as far as demanding HIGH per-subscriber fees from Comcast and other cable/satellite providers.

Sports Networks are THE primary reason cable subscription rates have skyrocketed.  Feel free to conduct a search-engine investigation using Google or Yahoo to learn more about the steep fees involved with ESPN, Fox Sports, Root Sports, NBC Sports et al. 

You apparently were getting the full range of Digital Starter channels for two years.  Digital Starter's price reflects that ESPN reportedly charges close to $5 per subscriber for retransmission on calbe systems (the exact prices are considered "confidential trade secrets").

If you aren't willing to pay what it costs to receive these channels, you can contact Comcast and see if you are eligible for some current promotional offers (some, but not all, are offered to current subscribers).  Otherwise, downgrade your service to Limited Basic - or cancel cable and use an antenna to watch your local over-the-air channels.