New Visitor
Delhaas

Direct cable hookup to new HDTV

Hello all,

We got a new LED LCD HDTV in our bedroom. When I hook the cable directly up to my TV and scan, I get a bunch of channels. They don't seem to have any order and don't match the Comcast lineup for my area.

The channel numbers are also weird, for example 87-2.

What is going on here?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Direct cable hookup to new HDTV

The channels available via the digital QAM tuner on your TV don't have the same numbers as on the Comcast boxes.  See this site, and enter your zip and provider.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

the line up is for the cable with the cable box.  you cannot just plug the cable into the tv and get what you will you need to scan and rescan over and over again as comcast moves the channels around.  Also you will not get true hd unless you get an hd box or over the air hd antenna.    I assume by your post you have no box right now. just FYI you will be required if not already to get a DTA box which gives you basic channels.  my advice get an hd dvr box to get the full benefits of the new lcd tv you got, unless you just want locals then get the antenna.

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

rog286713 wrote:

the line up is for the cable with the cable box.  you cannot just plug the cable into the tv and get what you will you need to scan and rescan over and over again as comcast moves the channels around.  Also you will not get true hd unless you get an hd box or over the air hd antenna.    I assume by your post you have no box right now. just FYI you will be required if not already to get a DTA box which gives you basic channels.  my advice get an hd dvr box to get the full benefits of the new lcd tv you got, unless you just want locals then get the antenna.

Actually quite a few (I get 66, of which app. 16 are channels I watch, 6 in HD) clear QAM channels (with the cable plugged directly into my TV or PC tuner card).  True these are mostly "Local/Network" station, and not things like Faux News, ESPN, VS, SPEED, A&E, USA, etc. which you'll need a "Comcast box" and a level of service above Basic/Limited.  And although in the initial cut over to Digital in my area (80026) I did have to can every few days, I haven't had to do a rescan in the last 5 months.

Regular Contributor
nonfidel

rog286713 wrote:

I have the cable just plugged in to a TV have not needed to do a rescan for about a year.  What is not true about the hd I get without a hd box that I would get with one?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

nonfidel wrote:

I have the cable just plugged in to a TV have not needed to do a rescan for about a year.  What is not true about the hd I get without a hd box that I would get with one?

Nothing, other than access to channels that are encrypted.

Regular Contributor
nonfidel

WarEagle57 wrote:
Nothing, other than access to channels that are encrypted.

As a limited basic subscriber, I would not have access to any encrypted channels even if I had a HD cable box.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

comcast is encrypting all channles in a lot of areas,  its just a matter of time.

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

rog286713 wrote:

comcast is encrypting all channles in a lot of areas,  its just a matter of time.

Is there a place where we can view this change?  Or do you have some other data that would help us prepare for this??

Regular Contributor
nonfidel

rog286713 wrote:

When that time comes in the area where I live, Comcast will get some additonal revenue from me due to the monthly fee for a HD digital converter for limited basic.

It would be helpful if you answered the question: "What is not true about the hd I get without a hd box that I would get with one?", that I asked due to your statement: "Also you will not get true hd unless you get an hd box or over the air hd antenna."

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

[ Edited ]

edpeters wrote: ... Is there a place where we can view this change? ...

Not on a Comcast site, so far as I know. But in October, the FCC proposed allowing cable operators to encrypt the basic service tier in all-digital systems ("basic service tier" appears to correspond with Comcast's "Limited Basic" service).  Yesterday, Comcast asked the FCC for "expedited Commission action in this rulemaking". I'd say the handwriting is on the wall. See http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/proceeding/view?name=11-169.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

So not just finally removing the analog feeds for the few remaining markets that still have it (mine for one) on Limited Basic does that mean they automatically encrypt?

Of course I asked that question at our local office and they don't even have the answer.