Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Disney Junior to Replace SoapNet in March

Disney Channel has confirmed a launch date for its new 24-hour preschool channel. Disney Junior will replace SoapNet on most cable and satellite systems at midnight on Friday, March 23.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Disney-Junior-SoapNet-March-1041380.aspx

Before complaining that Comcast is dropping SoapNet consider this: It is something Comcast has no control over. Neither does any other cable tv and satellite tv provider.

The network is going out of business and if it is not available it obviously cannot be aired to anyone.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor
smitht

Re: Disney Junior to Replace SoapNet in March

I was wondering will everyone be receiving disney junior the channel or is this a channel that you will only be able to receive if you have a certain package with comcast.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

That remains to be seen.

According to Disney it will be a basic channel. What Comcast will do is not known. Right now SoapNet is a part of Preferred and higher packages.

From zap2it

disneyjr.PNG

From http://disney.go.com/guestservices/faq?id=disneyjunior1

In 2012 Disney Junior will also debut as a basic cable and satellite channel in the U.S. Disney Junior's programming invites mom and dad to join their child in the Disney experience of magical, musical and heartfelt stories and characters, while incorporating specific learning and development themes designed for kids age 2-7. Disney Junior's animated and live action series blend Disney's unparalleled storytelling and characters kids love deeply with learning, including early math, language skills, healthy eating and lifestyles, and social skills.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

I found a press release http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/04/idUS230102746820120104 dated 1-04-2012

which has this

Xfinity TV customers will also receive the recently announced Disney Junior, a new 24-hour basic channel for children ages 2-7, parents and caregivers. Upon its debut in 2012, the new channel will feature animated and live action programming that blends Disney’s unparalleled storytelling and beloved characters with learning, including early math, language skills, healthy eating and lifestyles, and social skills.

It certainly seems as if it will become a part of the basic cable package.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

There are no plans to make Disney Junior a "basic" channel. 

Disney Junior will not be available as an a-la-carte separate premium service (like HBO or Showtime), perhaps that is what Disney is referring to in their release with the use of the word "basic" .

New Visitor
soapboxer

Why did they get rid of the Soap Channel--158I work hard all day and want to watch my soap opera with my wife in the eveningThat's one of the few times we actually sit down together to watch TVChildren should be doing homework, chores or getting ready for bed at 7:00P.M. when our soap opera is on the television.  Children have plenty of entertaining programs on television and preschoolers should not be watching television anyway according to studies done by child educators, psychologists, and sociologists.

I pay the bills and buy the soap and think that cable channels should cater to the paying customer and not be used to entice young parents into believing television is good for young children or using it as a babysitting service

I hope Comcast rethinks their position concerning the Soap Channel and reinstates it.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

ABC / Disney is killing the Soap-Net, not Comcast.  Please make your unhappyness known to the Executives at ABC / Disney.

Here's the official report on Soap-Net being removed by Disney HERE.  Pretty much Disney want's that channel space for Disney Jr.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

soapboxer wrote:

I hope Comcast rethinks their position concerning the Soap Channel and reinstates it.

I repeat what I said in my first post in this thread which you would have seen if you read the post:

Before complaining that Comcast is dropping SoapNet consider this: It is something Comcast has no control over. Neither does any other cable tv and satellite tv provider.

NO ONE will be getting the channel.

SoapNet is owned by the Disney-ABC Television Group. THEY are the ones who made the decision to shut down SoapNet.

New Visitor
soapboxer

SO....LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT...NO CHANNEL ANYWHERE WILL BE SHOWING "THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS" OR ANY OTHER OF THE POPULAR SOAPS?

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

soapboxer wrote:

SO....LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT...NO CHANNEL ANYWHERE WILL BE SHOWING "THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS" OR ANY OTHER OF THE POPULAR SOAPS?

I assume they will still be airing on the original ABC stations.

Also, I've been reading some conflicting information that Soapnet isn't actually shutting down, or maybe isn't shutting down exactly on that date and will actually continue for awhile.

For reference, this is from their web site:

http://sn.soapnet.go.com/news/article/soapnet-going-air-january-2012

Recognized Contributor
anita0817

I know that you watch GH on ABC's website.

New Visitor
3TimesACharm

ComcastTeds

So which package will this channel be on if it isn't basic cable? I have digital economy, where in your tiers will this be located?

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

andyross wrote:

soapboxer wrote:

I assume they will still be airing on the original ABC stations.

Also, I've been reading some conflicting information that Soapnet isn't actually shutting down, or maybe isn't shutting down exactly on that date and will actually continue for awhile.

For reference, this is from their web site:

http://sn.soapnet.go.com/news/article/soapnet-going-air-january-2012

If anyone still gets SoapNet on/after March 23rd they will eventually lose it. It will "go dark" at some point.

"The Disney Channel has confirmed a launch date for its new 24-hour preschool channel. Disney Junior that will replace SOAPnet on most cable and satellite systems at midnight on Friday, March 23. However according to TVG, “A handful of viewers will still receive SOAPnet after March 22, but only because a few cable and satellite deals with Disney are still being finalized. Once those deals are done SOAPnet will completely shut down.

http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/news/soapnet-set-to-sign-off-on-march-23rd-as-disney-junior-takes-its...

Comcast is one of the companies who have finalized a deal with Disney.

New Visitor
soapboxer

WHAT'S GH???

Recognized Contributor
anita0817

soapboxer - It's General Hospital.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

soapboxer wrote:

WHAT'S GH???

General Hospital???

Recognized Contributor
anita0817

Soap opera on ABC & SoapNet

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

3TimesACharm wrote:

ComcastTeds

So which package will this channel be on if it isn't basic cable? I have digital economy, where in your tiers will this be located?

Disney Junior will be available in our Digital Preferred package.

New Visitor
slpspw

Will we be getting it for sure on the 23rd and HD?

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

[ Edited ]

slpspw wrote: Will we be getting it for sure on the 23rd and HD?

Check your latest bill. A note in my March bill says "On April 3, 2012, Disney Junior will replace SOAPnet on Digital Preferred". No indication if the channel will change to HD (I'm in southern PA).

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

For those who tune to SoapNet channel expecting to find Disney Junior:

If SoapNet is still airing

Check to see if it is on somewhere else.

In my area SoapNet is on channel 120. As of now SoapNet is still on air.

I decided to see if Disney Junior was on another channel number and sure enough it is.

Comcast has put it on channel 138.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

Disney Jr is scheduled to be added to many Comcast systems as early as today. The channel will be included to customers who have our Digital Preferred package (and higher). The channel is expected to be available to all Comcast customers by April 26, 2012. 

In parts of NJ and PA (and other areas), Disney Jr. will replace SoapNet and be located on the same channel number where SoapNet is today. 

Some Comcast areas will be adding Disney Jr. to a new channel location (not the current/previous SoapNet location).

Check your monthly Comcast invoice or your Message Center on your cable box for additional information (Press Menu twice on the silver Comcast remote control then select Messages). 

More info can be found here: http://www.disneyjuniorthechannel.com/

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Ted, Comcast dropped the ball with the blurb on my bill.

It was finally available online this morning-3/23.

Way to go Comcast. Letting me know of the change AFTER it occured and AFTER I found the correct channel on my own.  NEWSFLASH: It should have been on LAST months bill.

bill notice disney jr.PNG

New Visitor
KesIL

ComcastTeds wrote:

Check your monthly Comcast invoice or your Message Center on your cable box for additional information (Press Menu twice on the silver Comcast remote control then select Messages). 

Is there someplace I can go to find out what channel Disney Junior is, or when it will be available to me given we use paperless billing and there was nothing in our Message Center? I would really like to switch to this channel during the day given the channel I used to put on for my toddler changed their line-up and it is no longer desirable. I checked the Lineup listing on the Comcast website and Disney Junior was not on it, and I still receive SOAPNet on channel 109 in the greater Chicagoland area.

New Visitor
mckudis

In Pittsburgh, Disney Junior is not showing up, still SoapNet.  Not on Channel 138 either.  Called Comcast, the guy said it should be on and re-mapped the box configurations, still don't have it.

Very frustrating, as I was told this channel would be on today, March 23rd, and was the only reason I upgraded to the preferred digital package. 

Anyone have any real answers to give?

New Visitor
KesIL

I found it, it is channel 125 in the Chicago suburbs. If you are looking for it and think you should have it, Queen-Evie had a suggestion in another thread that worked for me and I found the channel in about 20 seconds.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/Disney-junior-channel/m-p/1230319/highlight/tr...

Queen-Evie wrote:

Use the remote to go into the programming menu and do a search for one of shows which Disney Junior will be airing. Handy Manny  is a good one to use.  I just tried it and 7 episodes are listed-6 on Disney Junior. The only search term I used was Handy.

If results are found you will see the channel number.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

KesIL, I'm glad it worked for you. If you have a little one enjoy the network.

I have a 4 year old grand-daughter who swoops in. She loves the preschool shows on Disney so Disney Junior will be good for her. I hope she finds some new shows she likes, as long as her attention span is focused on the show. Usually it is for about 5 minutes then she finds something else to do. Which is a good thing because she is not glued to the tv.

I went through the listings for the next couple of weeks and found the movie Beauty and the Beast, which I set up to record for her. She has a Beauty and the Beast "story book" she loves and she plays Beauty and the Beast with the dogs. The movie will be right up her alley.

I also found The Sword in the Stone which my children watched many times when they were younger. The mama of the 4 year old might be interested in watching it again.

New Visitor
New Visitor
Kw0

Well I have checked all the channels nothing yet! My 2 yr old loves the shows on Dinsey Jr. A channel that is just that would be GREAT! I guess I will have to wiat until April :smileysad: When I called comcast the person didn't even know what that channel was and said I would need an upgrade. But reading these posts gave me a glimmer of hope that we will get it! thank you

New Visitor
mckudis

Just told by customer service that Pittsburgh won't be getting until April.  So very frustrating that I upgraded to Digital Preferred for the sole purpose of getting this channel and was mis-informed by Comcast not only when I upgraded, but again this morning. 

New Visitor

[ Edited ]

Still seeing soaps on my SoapNet channel. 90210 is currently one. :smileyplain:

Found it! Its channel 151 for me. No HD version though. :smileyangry:

New Visitor
gaubuchon02

At first I was discouraged when I still saw "SoapNet," but here's how I found the new Disney Junior Channel  :  Hit the guide button on your remote.  Go to the regular (old) Disney channel and scroll over with the right arrow button until you find a cartoon such as Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.  Then press the info button on your remote, and then select the option that looks like a clock ("view upcoming times for this title")   All the upcoming episodes and times for Mickey Mouse clubhouse will then be displayed, along with the channel name and number.  Mine showed results for both disney and disney junior channel, and that's how I was able to find it.  (Channel 151 in Metro-Detroit, Michigan)

New Visitor
gaubuchon02

For those of you that have On Demand, Disney Junior Channel has had its own separate section (in addition to the old Disney Channel section) on there for at least a week or two now.  So if anybody doesn't have the actual channel yet, you can still watch a lot of the cartoons for free, with "On Demand."

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

gaubuchon02 wrote:

At first I was discouraged when I still saw "SoapNet," but here's how I found the new Disney Junior Channel  :  Hit the guide button on your remote.  Go to the regular (old) Disney channel and scroll over with the right arrow button until you find a cartoon such as Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.  Then press the info button on your remote, and then select the option that looks like a clock ("view upcoming times for this title")   All the upcoming episodes and times for Mickey Mouse clubhouse will then be displayed, along with the channel name and number.  Mine showed results for both disney and disney junior channel, and that's how I was able to find it.  (Channel 151 in Metro-Detroit, Michigan)

That works and it is probably a better solution for those who don't want to use the search function I recommended.

New Visitor
gaubuchon02

It's basically the same idea.  I guess I should read all the posts before I leave a redundant one. :smileyhappy:

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

It wasn't redundant at all. You suggested a different way to do it. It's good to have choices.

New Visitor
gaubuchon02

Either way, I think Disney really dropped the ball on this one.  Confusing everybody by telling us that Disney Jr. is replacing SoapNet, when it's actually on an entirely different channel than SoapNet is/was for most people, is not a good way to launch a new channel.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

From previous notes, it is, technically, replacing SOAPnet. SOAPnet will shut down eventually once all (or enough of) the agreements are done.

Soaps are a dying breed. ABC only airs General Hospital (at least here in Chicago.) NBC only has one, and CBS, two. Unless they decide to expand into telenovela's, I doubt they could survive for long without a major change of some form.

Recognized Contributor
medziatkowicz

my bill from february said:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: On April 23, 2012, Disney Junior

will replace SOAPnet on Digital Preferred channel 120.

I live in the pittsburgh area.

New Visitor
CChellEE

So does anybody know what the issues are with SOAPNET being owned by Disney and pulled from the line-up? Do I have to change my current service plan in order to get this channel or has it just evaporated?

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Re: SOAPNET

Changing your plan won't get the channel back for you. Neither will changing service providers.

SoapNet is shutting down. It will eventually go out of business for everyone.

New Visitor
momma5x

Disney Jr...???

It was on our statement that we would have the new channel, but its not there????  WHY???

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

Re: Disney Jr...???

momma5x -

Disney Junior has already been added to many Comcast systems (including On Demand content). 

The channel will be included to customers who have our Digital Preferred package (and higher). The channel is expected to be available to most all Comcast customers by April 26, 2012. 

In some Comcast areas, Disney Junior will replace SoapNet and be located on the same channel number where SoapNet is today.  

Some Comcast areas will be adding Disney Jr. to a new channel location (not the current/previous SoapNet location).

The channel location for Disney Junior will vary depending on your location.

More info can be found here: http://www.disneyjuniorthechannel.com/

Can you provide your city and state? I can look into this further for you. Thanks!

Contributor
walkerblack

On my bill it states that Disney Jr. will be replacing soapnet on April 3rd on channel 120, problem is Nick Jr. is on channel 120 and we don't carry soapnet at all. Will it be on a different channel or not carried at all in Lewistown pa ?

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

While unlikely to be incorrect, you can check to see if it is on another channel number.

If you get Disney, find Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Click Info.

Then scroll to View upcoming times for this program (or something similar).

Look at the listings and see if any of them are on Disney Junior.

Be aware that Disney Junior is not yet available in all markets but it will be rolled out every where before the end of April.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

walkerblack wrote:

On my bill it states that Disney Jr. will be replacing soapnet on April 3rd on channel 120, problem is Nick Jr. is on channel 120 and we don't carry soapnet at all. Will it be on a different channel or not carried at all in Lewistown pa ?

walkerblack - Apologies for the confusion in your specific area that we caused. I reached out to the local Comcast team that services your area. There was an error in the bill message that you received.

Nick Jr. will remain on channel 120. Disney Junior is not yet scheduled for your area. Again, apologies for the confusion.  

New Visitor
sofnmad

soapnet channel

get back the soapnet channel before you lose customers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   verizon is still showing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I pay TOO MUCH MONEY for NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!  now I have one less channel, do i get a discount now???????????

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Re: soapnet channel

sofnmad wrote:

get back the soapnet channel before you lose customers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

There is nothing to get back. Soapnet ceased operations on most cable and satellite providers on March 22, 2012, with Disney Junior replacing it in its channel space. An automated Soapnet schedule continues for providers who have not yet made carriage agreements for Disney Junior.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

i-am-nerdburg wrote:

sofnmad wrote:

get back the soapnet channel before you lose customers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

There is nothing to get back. Soapnet ceased operations on most cable and satellite providers on March 22, 2012, with Disney Junior replacing it in its channel space. An automated Soapnet schedule continues for providers who have not yet made carriage agreements for Disney Junior.

If you do get it back, you will eventually lose it again. So what if Comcast loses customers to, say Verizon which is still showing SoapNet? You can't threaten to change providers again to one which is showing because NO ONE will have it. What part of SOAPNET IS CEASING OPERATIONS do you not understand? THAT has been mentioned several times in this thread even before nerdburg posted it.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

sofnmad wrote:

get back the soapnet channel before you lose customers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   verizon is still showing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I pay TOO MUCH MONEY for NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!  now I have one less channel, do i get a discount now???????????

The announcement was made back in 2010 by ABC/Disney.

In a press release, Disney co-chair Anne Sweeney explained the decision, saying:

"The launch of Disney Junior in the U.S. is the next step in our global preschool strategy, which began 10 years ago with the premiere of our first dedicated preschool channel in the UK. The decision to ultimately transition SOAPnet to accomplish this was not arrived at lightly. SOAPnet was created in 2000 to give daytime viewers the ability to watch time-shifted soaps, before multiplatform viewing and DVRs were part of our vocabulary. But today, as technology and our businesses evolve, it makes more sense to align this distribution with a preschool channel that builds on the core strengths of our company."

source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/live-feed/disney-dumping-soapnet-kids-net-53727

Recognized Contributor
anita0817

I honestly do not understand why it is so difficult for people to understand that the Soap Channel will/does NOT exist anymore and there is nothing you can do about it.

You can whine and complain all you want, but a fact is a fact. Like it or not, it's gone. Period.