Recognized Contributor
medziatkowicz

Re: soapnet channel

because in alot of areas comcast still has soapnet. Those areas include mine.

New Visitor

Re: Disney Junior to Replace SoapNet in March

I agree 100 %.  This is so very disappointing - I'm not a happy Comcaster!!

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

medziatkowicz wrote:

because in alot of areas comcast still has soapnet. Those areas include mine.

Disney Junior has already been added to many Comcast systems, including On Demand content. The channel will be included to customers who have at least our Digital Preferred package. . 

The channel is expected to be available to most all Comcast customers by April 26, 2012. 

In some Comcast areas, Disney Junior will replace SoapNet and be located on the same channel number

where SoapNet is today.  

Some Comcast areas will be adding Disney Jr. to a new channel location (not the current/previous SoapNet location).

Channel location will vary from area to area.

Check your monthly Comcast invoice or your Message Center on your cable box for additional information (Press Menu twice on the silver Comcast remote control then select Messages). 

More info can be found here: http://www.disneyjuniorthechannel.com/

The announcement was made back in 2010 by ABC/Disney.

In a press release, Disney co-chair Anne Sweeney explained the decision, saying:

"The launch of Disney Junior in the U.S. is the next step in our global preschool strategy, which began 10 years ago with the premiere of our first dedicated preschool channel in the UK. The decision to ultimately transition SOAPnet to accomplish this was not arrived at lightly. SOAPnet was created in 2000 to give daytime viewers the ability to watch time-shifted soaps, before multiplatform viewing and DVRs were part of our vocabulary. But today, as technology and our businesses evolve, it makes more sense to align this distribution with a preschool channel that builds on the core strengths of our company."

source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/live-feed/d​isney-dumping-soapnet-kids-net-53727

New Visitor
sxdandsxm

I live in the middetown leonardo area of monmouth county new jersey and just got the channel today on what was soap net. :-)
New Visitor
Rhiannon726

I'm so disappointed that soapnet is going off the air especially when it will be replaced by another kiddies channel - who knew preschoolers had so much disposable income to spend.  I've been with Comcast for more years then I care to remember but will jump ship in 2.2 seconds if Dish or Direct TV gets their own soap channel.  All the channels I currently have I can still pretty much have with another company and am more than willing to cancel comcast and they get alot of money out of me a month - premium package, internet and phone.  . 

New Visitor
OCONNORMARYANNE

I live in Seymour, Ct. and phoned twice about you removing Soapnet and putting on the new Disney Channel and the customer rep told me effective April 16th I will no longer have Soapnet which is the only reason I picked part of the package deal that carries Soapnet and the rep said he'd post it to my account meaning we don't care what you think. I'm here to tell you there are other places to take my business and at $142,00 a month which you seem to think is a bargain it is not. I think it's time you take the soap community seriously and help us with a soap channel so we can carry on the genre.

Thank you for your time.

Recognized Contributor
medziatkowicz

Visitor
pad70

My question to Comcast is, What are you plans for the future to somehow air these soaps at later times?  My suggestion was to put them on demand and I was told to contact the network. Which I did and received no reply from them. A little sympathy here would be nice.  Can Comcast forward these complaints to ABC so the network can release the show to the on demand list.  I know ABC and the other networks have several shows on demand. Why not General Hospital? Obviously the network is not listening to the little people here. What are Comcast plans to help us out? I would HIGHLY suggest your support in this matter in order for Comcast to retain their customers!

Visitor
pad70

Also if Soapnet is going off the air, why then on thier website are the announcing that as of April 20 something they will be airing episodes of Veronica Mars?? I am very confused and we are all being lied to! so who exactly is telling the truth here

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

from here in a post by i-am- nerdburg

Soapnet ceased operations on most cable and satellite providers on March 22, 2012, with Disney Junior replacing it in its channel space. An automated Soapnet schedule continues for providers who have not yet made carriage agreements for Disney Junior.

No one is lying about anything. SoapNet will eventually shut down for everyone.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor
RDMedia

Actually, Soapnet is not being discontinued by Disney. Comcast indeed had the option to add Disney Jr and keep Soapnet. Several other cable providers have BOTH channels. Stating that Soapnet is being canceled is NOT a fact. If you are a Comcast representative, you should get your facts straight. As a marketing professional, with direct contact to Disney Networks, I am stating factual information.
Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Your contacts at Disney need to get their facts straight.

"Some viewers will still receive SoapNet after March 22, the company said. "SoapNet will continue to have wide distribution for some time with many distributors choosing to carry both networks until such date as SoapNet fully sunsets," Disney says."  http://www.tvguide.com/News/Disney-Junior-SoapNet-March-1041380.aspx

"The Disney Channel has confirmed a launch date for its new 24-hour preschool channel. Disney Junior that will replace SOAPnet on most cable and satellite systems at midnight on Friday, March 23. However according to TVG, “A handful of viewers will still receive SOAPnet after March 22, but only because a few cable and satellite deals with Disney are still being finalized. Once those deals are done SOAPnet will completely shut down.”  http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/news/soapnet-set-to-sign-off-on-march-23rd-as-disney-junior-takes-its...

Starting Saturday, March 24, SOAPnet will begin to transition to preschooler channel Disney Junior. Daytime Confidential is reporting that the executive in charge of the strategic programming at SOAPnet, Kate Nelson, has been let go, and that the channel's current operations are being taken over by the ABC Family arm.

"Yes, it's true that ABC Family has been given the opportunity to work with SOAPnet during the transition of the channel to Disney Junior," a spokesperson tells Soaps In Depth. "There are some great programming opportunities and numerous cable operation protocols/systems between the two groups that make this a smart move." So what does that mean for same-day rebrodcasts of GENERAL HOSPITAL, and SOAPnet's other acquired soaps, THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS and DAYS OF OUR LIVES? We're told that those shows will continue to air, alongside ABC Family's slate of programming. (Anyone else excited by the possibility of GREEK re-runs?)

As for when SOAPnet will fade to black and officially be taken over by the kiddies? That may still be a way off, with both networks co-existing on some carriers until the Walt Disney/ABC Television Group phases out SOAPnet altogether. "We've always viewed the launch of Disney Junior as a transition, not a flip of the switch," says the new cable channel's camp. "As such, SOAPnet will remain available for an undetermined period of time as additional carriage deals for Disney Junior are finalized with distributors."  http://abc.soapsindepth.com/2012/03/update-on-soapnet.html#more

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Bronze Star Contributor

You are correct.  My friend in New York has Time Warner and she still has Soapnet. 

Comcast can get it and put it on another channel.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

FWIW, Comcast still has SoapNet in the lineup in Tuscaloosa. Disney Jr. is on a different channel number.

Not sure WHY they have it in some places but not others. I don't watch it so if/when it disappears it won't impact me.

Bronze Star Contributor

I didn't watch it that much myself, BUT if for some reason the soaps were pre-empted during their regular time or you had a <gasp> DVR malfunction and didn't  get the soap, you could set the DVR again for soapnet that evening.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

Queen-Evie wrote:

FWIW, Comcast still has SoapNet in the lineup in Tuscaloosa. Disney Jr. is on a different channel number.

Not sure WHY they have it in some places but not others. I don't watch it so if/when it disappears it won't impact me.

Some areas of our Central Division have elected to continue to offer both SoapNet and Disney Junior for a period of time.

Below article (March 22) from the Hollywood Reporter has some background on this:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/disney-junior-replaces-soapnet-friday-303366

excerpted below:

"But that doesn't mean SOAPnet will go away for all viewers. A Disney/ABC TV Group spokesperson explains that it currently has carriage agreements with Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Cablevision, Bright House Networks and Verizon for Disney Junior and those affiliates will also continue to carry SOAPnet.

"We view the launch of Disney Junior as a transition, not a flip of a switch," a Disney/ABC TV Group spokesperson tells The Hollywood Reporter. "And as such SOAPnet will remain available for an undetermined period of time as deals are finalized with distributors."

SOAPnet has carried encore presentations of All My Children, General Hospital, One Life to Live, and The Young and the Restless, as well as the series Beverly Hills, 90210, Veronica Mars and One Tree Hill. It also airs the Canadian series, Being Erica, which has found quite a following in the U.S., and it's unclear if its new season will air on SOAPnet or another American channel.

The network’s ratings peaked in 2008-2009 with a primetime average of 353,000 viewers. In the past three months, that average is now only 185,000, according to Ad Age. Clearly, the Walt Disney Co. is hoping the change will get higher ratings."

Another article in Ad Adge here: http://adage.com/article/mediaworks/a-farewell-soapnet-home-time-shifted-soaps/233433/

Bronze Star Contributor

I think if Comcast can carry it in one area, they can do it in all.............This is a 55 plus development and nobody needs Disney Jr. on a full time basis. 

Surely there are enough channels available that Comcast could continue Soapnet. 

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

Bunella wrote:

I think if Comcast can carry it in one area, they can do it in all.............This is a 55 plus development and nobody needs Disney Jr. on a full time basis. 

Surely there are enough channels available that Comcast could continue Soapnet. 

The bottomline is that ABC-Disney is eventually turning off SoapNet because of low viewership. The SoapNet viewership will be even lower now as it is many less households. ABC-Disney can get more eyeballs and make more advertising dollars from Disney Junior than they can from SoapNet.

The change was initiated and requested by ABC-Disney. 

Here is a link to a list of ABC/Disney executives that you may want to contact:

http://www.disneyabctv.com/division/index_executives.shtml 

Bronze Star Contributor

It always comes down to the dollar, doesn't it?   nobody ever does anything because the "people" would like it.   I'm think of switching to Verizon.  They just came into the area with everything now.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

Bunella wrote:

It always comes down to the dollar, doesn't it?   nobody ever does anything because the "people" would like it.   I'm think of switching to Verizon.  They just came into the area with everything now.

SoapNet was in 75 million homes and (according to Ad Age) was only able to recently garner a primetime average of 185.000 viewers. Only a small number of "people" were watching it and ABC-Disney made a business decision. 

The network’s ratings peaked in 2008-2009 with a primetime average of 353,000 viewers. In the past three months, that average is now only 185,000, according to Ad Age. Clearly, the Walt Disney Co. is hoping the change will get higher ratings."

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

ComcastTeds wrote:

Bunella wrote:

SoapNet was in 75 million homes and (according to Ad Age) was only able to recently garner a primetime average of 185.000 viewers. Only a small number of "people" were watching it and ABC-Disney made a business decision. 

So many words to say "Yes, always comes down to the dollar".

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

BruceW wrote:

ComcastTeds wrote:

Bunella wrote:

So many words to say "Yes, always comes down to the dollar".

It usually does. That's why it's called the "television business".

Without enough viewers or advertising dollars, it's not much of a business. ABC/Disney is a for-profit company and they made a business decison in the best interest of their company.  It's hard to maintain a business with so few viewers.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

Locking the thread. Thanks!

New Visitor
sabrinasuz

what happened to soapnet?

what happened to soapnet?

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Re: what happened to soapnet?

Comcast has had SoapNet for a while. So have other providers.

However, SoapNet will eventually shut down for EVERYONE, not just Comcast customers.

Click this link to discuss Disney Junior/SoapNET  http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/Disney-Junior-to-Replace-SoapNet-in-March/td-p...