Contributor
CollsjammIn

Disney junior channel?

Will the new Disney junior channel be available in the Wilkes barre / scranton area of Pa? If it will be and is limited what areas will it be available in? Also what channel will it be? If not released in all areas when can we expect it?
New Visitor
iliveinHanPA

Re: Disney junior channel?

Will the new Disney Junior channel be available in the York, PA Comcast service area?

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Check your cable box's program guide for a channel named "SOAP", or check the Comcast site for the channel listing.

I should mention that, at least by me, SOAPnet is on the Preferred Tier. DisneyJr will probably be the same.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

According to the press release Disney Jr will be a basic cable channel.

From zap2it

disneyjr.PNG

From http://disney.go.com/guestservices/faq?id=disneyjunior1

In 2012 Disney Junior will also debut as a basic cable and satellite channel in the U.S. Disney Junior's programming invites mom and dad to join their child in the Disney experience of magical, musical and heartfelt stories and characters, while incorporating specific learning and development themes designed for kids age 2-7. Disney Junior's animated and live action series blend Disney's unparalleled storytelling and characters kids love deeply with learning, including early math, language skills, healthy eating and lifestyles, and social skills.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

We'll see. Every media company wants their channel as part of 'basic' cable.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

And by "basic" does that mean the old Expanded Basic? Disney Channel itself is on Digital Starter so I would imagine that would be the same for Disney Jr. if they want to keep it a basic channel.

Too many meanings for the word basic with this cable stuff :smileysilly:

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

What is basic? is the million dollar question.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

These days, 'basic' more typically means Expanded Basic/Digital Starter type tiers. What we often call basic (broadcast only) is 'Limited Basic'. I guess by basic, they mean it's the basic tier of CABLE channels, wheeras limited has no cable channels.

Having DisJr as part of Starter may be one reason why TCM is moving UP to Preferred in more and more areas. Comcast has to balance out the costs, or increase prices.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

andyross

Makes a certain amount of sense. I figured that is was for the Digital Starter tier.

And not all Limited Basic markets may be just broadcast channels. I get CNN on Limited Basic. And 4, count em. 4, lovely shopping channels....I am in heaven (slight sarcasm inteneded on that last comment all in good humor of course.)

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

I found a press release http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/04/idUS230102746820120104 dated 1-04-2012

which has this

Xfinity TV customers will also receive the recently announced Disney Junior, a new 24-hour basic channel for children ages 2-7, parents and caregivers. Upon its debut in 2012, the new channel will feature animated and live action programming that blends Disney’s unparalleled storytelling and beloved characters with learning, including early math, language skills, healthy eating and lifestyles, and social skills.

It certainly seems as if it will become a part of the basic cable package. Whether it will or not remains to be seen.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Coming to Digital Prefered  in my area. Notice on the Comcast bulletin board on tv.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

There are no plans to make Disney Junior a "basic" channel. 

Disney Junior will not be available as an a-la-carte separate premium service (like HBO or Showtime), perhaps that is what Disney is referring to in their release with the use of the word "basic" .

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

ComcastTeds wrote:

There are no plans to make Disney Junior a "basic" channel. 

Disney Junior will not be available as an a-la-carte separate premium service (like HBO or Showtime), perhaps that is what Disney is referring to in their release with the use of the word "basic" .

That totally contradicts what COMCAST has stated, which makes it sound as if Comcast WILL be adding it to the BASIC lineup.

Additionally, Comcast will launch Disney Junior, a new 24-hour basic channel for preschool-age children, parents and caregivers. http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/04/idUS230102746820120104

The term "basic cable service" refers to the lowest level of cable service you can buy, and is the program package that includes signals from local television stations (such as ABC, CBS, and NBC affiliates; educational stations; and independent television stations) and public, educational and governmental access channels. Your cable system may use other terms to describe this service.

http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/facts/pubrole.html

Comcast KNOWS it is being released as a BASIC channel. If they choose NOT to put it on the basic tier, they will have a lot of angry customers.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

It is "basic" as in "not-premium".

Basic = "Digital Starter" or "Expanded Basic" (in most areas) not "Limited Basic" or "basic cable service" as defined in the FCC link you provided which is the entry level of video service.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Perhaps it is time the media providers and the cable companies get together and work out the proper terminology for offerings. Would cut down on the confusion.

And just a suggestion for Comcast. I really haven't checked lately but most of the .com website is geared towards sales and informing people of the "possible" number of channels availabe per tier. How about a strictly informational section outling tier names so when people look up their channel lineup (which also needs updating I am sure in many areas) they know what they are looking for. Also would help to name the actual cable tier in Triple Play packages.

I always thought the Internet was to help inform people.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

Agreed, the announcement was not clear. I have brought that to the attention of the team that works those deals. I will also pass along your comments on the website to the team that handles that so it can be more clear and helpful.  

Disney Junior will be available in our Digital Preferred package.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

ComcastTeds wrote:

Agreed, the announcement was not clear. I have brought that to the attention of the team that works those deals. I will also pass along your comments on the website to the team that handles that so it can be more clear and helpful.  

Disney Junior will be available in our Digital Preferred package.

I'm not surprised they won't make it available to those with lower tier packages. Anything Comcast can do to get people to spend more money by getting another box they WILL do.

I have 3 dvr's (2 of them cost me $16.95 each) which will get the channel. It WON'T be available on my DTA which is attached to the tv the 4 year old watches. I REFUSE to add another box for $16.95 a month in order for her to be able to watch it on that tv.

Contributor
CollsjammIn

Well it's after midnight and SOAP is still on airing useless repeats that no one watches. SOAP is as useful as the 5-10 public access channels that show the same 5 things that are over for days and nobody cares about .. unreal. Hoping it changes in the am or else there's an angry 5yr old that should be unleashed on the people that advertise stuff that may not be available.. if it's not available then only put the word out in places it is. Can someone anyone give me a possible channel number for northeast PA??!?!

Recognized Contributor
medziatkowicz

look at last months bill. In my bill there was an announcement that disney jr would be added in the weirton,wv (pittsburgh) region in april.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Check to see if it is on somewhere else.

In my area SoapNet is on channel 120. As of now SoapNet is still on air.

I decided to see if Disney Junior was on another channel number and sure enough it is.

Comcast has put it on channel 138.

Contributor
CollsjammIn

Nope not on 138 either that's another useless MTV channel that pay for and never use. Can't find it anywhere.. I am so glad didn't get another box for the kid;s room and waste more money w Comcast.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

Use the remote to go into the programming menu and do a search for one of shows which Disney Junior will be airing. Handy Manny  is a good one to use.  I just tried it and 7 episodes are listed-6 on Disney Junior. The only search term I used was Handy.

If results are found you will see the channel number.

What is not sitting to well with me is the fact that it's only available on the tv's that have DVRs. The one tv with a DTA does not have Disney Junior.

Apparently Comcast does not care about all those who have DTAs who would like to be able to get Disney Junior for their children. It does get the Disney Channel but it has shows that are not suitable for younger children.

New Visitor
tlccfam

[ Edited ]

I just spoke with a customer service rep who told me that the Disney Junior channel will be rolled out in my area between March 23 and April.  No date in April just "April" and that also to be prepared for the "signal to come and go for a while until they get things straightened out".  I'm not holding my breath.

We are in Atlanta and still have SoapNet on channel 195.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

tlccfam wrote:

I just spoke with a customer service rep who told me that the Disney Junior channel will be rolled out in my area between March 23 and April.  No date in April just "April" and that also to be prepared for the "signal to come and go for a while until they get things straightened out".  I'm not holding my breath.

We are in Atlanta and still have SoapNet on channel 195.

Have you looked to make sure Disney Junior is on another channel?

Contributor
CollsjammIn

Just tried the Handy Manny search it comes up with that title on 670 however it's still listed as FAME whatever that is and comes up as not authorized for channel. Guess have to call

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

My latest bill was made available to me today March 23.

This is on it:

bill notice disney jr.PNG

Get with the program Comcast. The Disney Junior announcement should have been included on LAST MONTHS bill.

Contributor
CollsjammIn

I just called April 3rd is the roll out for some reason and taking out SOAP ..hopefully the guy I spoke to is correct. 

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

Disney Jr is scheduled to be added to many Comcast systems as early as today. The channel will be included to customers who have our Digital Preferred package (and higher).  

In parts of NJ and PA (and other areas), Disney Jr. will replace SoapNet and be located on the same channel number where SoapNet is today. 

Some Comcast areas will be adding Disney Jr. to a new channel location (not the current/previous SoapNet location).

Check your monthly Comcast invoice or your Message Center on your cable box for additional information (Press Menu twice on the silver Comcast remote control then select Messages). 

New Visitor
lkywoman

disney jr channel

Disney Jr Channel....Is Comcast going to make this channel an extended basic channel, or do I have to have a digital cable box to pick this channel up for my 3 year old grandson

New Visitor
jkw4

I'm in Atlanta too, and looks like Disney Junior will be channel 272 DisJr.  It will let me put on demand disney junior shows on, but get an error message on 272.

Contributor
CollsjammIn

Re: disney jr channel

It will be preferred not basic.. look for SOAP in your guide seems like it's replacing that in most places... also a friend just sent me this.

Starting March 23 in select Comcast markets, your family will be able to tune in to Disney Junior, the channel. The channel will be available to all Comcast customers by April 26, 2012. 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

Nick Jr is on channel 125 in Chicago & the suburbs for digital preferred subscribers.

SoapNet on channel 109 has not gone away yet.

Recognized Contributor
BPreston

I did a search for Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, my son's favorite show. No Disney Junior in the Chico/Oroville, CA market.

Official Employee
ComcastEric

[ Edited ]

You can use this site to find out what channel its on in your zip code:

http://www.disneyjuniorthechannel.com/

Per that site, the channel will be available to all Comcast customers by April 26, 2012.

New Visitor
Erin277

This link does NOT tell me what channel it will be on.  It just tells me that Disney Junior will be provided by Comcast.  No channel listing.  I am in the Portland, OR area.  I would love to know what channel it will be on so I can keep an eye out for the change... Oh and there is no messages in my MESSAGE folder, so that doesn't help either.

Official Employee
ComcastEric

Its replacing SoapNet, so in Portland, OR that should be channel 120.

Official Employee
ComcastEric

If you don't yet receive the channel, Disney Junior content is currently available online at http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv-networks/Disney-Junior/513/main and ON DEMAND under Kids > Disney Junior.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Click this link to discuss Disney Junior http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/Disney-Junior-to-Replace-SoapNet-in-March/td-p...