New Visitor
MauiMike

Harrisburg, PA Limited Basic Channels

We moved into Harrisburg, PA about two months ago and ordered Limited Basic Cable (which is what we had at our previous home) and have never used a box.  Recently we have lost NBC-HD and ABC-HD, which were formerly channels 8.1 and 23.1.

Does anyone know how we can get these channels back?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Harrisburg, PA Limited Basic Channels

clearQAM channels can and do get moved around without notice.  Rescan your digital TV's tuner to see if they come back.

New Visitor
Art39

Had the same problem since Tuesday morning (9/27).  Something happened overnight (Monday into Tuesday), and I lost 8-1. 8-2, 27-1, 27-2 and 27-3.  I tried rescanning, and then lost the option of even pressing those channels in.  Glad to hear someone else had the same problem.  I've reported this problem to both WHTM and WGAL in hopes that they can it resolved with Comcast. 

New Visitor
Art39

Since leaving my earlier message I've heard back from both contacts at WGAL (NBC) and WHTM (ABC27), and they tell me this was caused by an error made by Comcast, and that the system will be rebooted, and everything will be back to normal tomorrow (Friday, 9/30), but you'll need to reprogram or autoscan your HDTV to receive the signals again.  Thanks to both gentlemen who helped make this happen faster ...... and a very large BOO! to Comcast for not posting any notice of their SNAFU here on their site.

New Visitor
Art39

It is now almost 5:00 pm on Friday afternoon; I have rescanned my HDTV three times since this morning and there's been NO CHANGE ...... I still do not have the missing channels 8.1, 8.2, 27.1, 27.2 and 27.3!

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

Art39 wrote: ... I still do not have the missing channels 8.1, 8.2, 27.1, 27.2 and 27.3!

FWIW we still have them on the York system.

New Visitor
Art39

Found out today that Comcast changed the frequency on the five channels mentioned earlier, and that those frequencies are blocked by the traps outside the homes of limited basic cable subscribers ONLY!  Comcast is sending a technician out Wednesday afternoon to "check the traps", at no charge.  Someone didn't think this change through very thoroughly, hence the current repercussions.  Thanks to Bob Good at WGAL for finally figuring out what happened.

Contributor

Even if they know what's wrong are they willing to fix it ("look into it") or will a phone call just get the expected "you need to upgrade" response?

Contributor
JeBr0nie

I've also contacted WGAL and WHTM and talked to 4 different people from comcast on the phone along with emails back and forth to comcast people.  You can read about my story and successful solution at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=21038735#post21038735

What a crazy experience this has been!

Good luck everyone getting a service guy to remove the trap for you (hopefully for free).

New Visitor
westshore_tech

traps are no longer used in the harrisburg system if you are missing the local hd channels without a box there are 3 likely possibilities 1. an old trap is on the line 2. there is a signal issue from the pole to your house 3. the QAM carriers that the local HD's are on has changed (which they just did about a week or so ago) and a channels scan will find new carriers
Contributor

Rescanning doesn't help...still doesn't find them.

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

All,

Sorry about the inconvenience you are having with missing channels. If you are sure that your subscribed to the channels that you are missing here is some helpful information to assist you.

1. If you do not have a cable box auto program your TV to search for the channels.

If that doesn't work, we will need to send out a technician because you don't have a box for us troubleshoot or send signals to.

2. If you have a cable box please follow these steps, if they don't work then we will need to send a tech out.

1. Check the connections and make sure that they re tight and secure on the back of the box. Unplug the cable in coax cord and very that the wire isn't damaged. Plug it back in tight and secure.
2. If you have a splitter check the connections as well and make sure they are tight and secure. If you don't have a splitter make sure that the connection from the wall is tight and secure.
 Unplug your box from the wall outlet and leave it unplugged for 2 minutes. Allow time for the box to fully restore and reboot your guide and on demand will take up to 45 minutes to fully restore.

Thank You
-Keisha-
Official Employee
ComcastSteve

We may need to visit the premise in order to fix the issue. Send me a PM or email so we can get it fixed.

Steve Teow

New Visitor
willy_kyle

This affected me in Camp Hill along these same timelines, and then today 43.1 downgraded signal quality.  If the same thing is happening to comcast customers all over the place, then the problem is NOT with our TVs.  It sounds like comcast needed some bandwidth and decided to take it from the Basic customers.  To my fellow sufferers - I always start plugging in the next number in the sequence to find a lower quality signal, like when 43.1 went, I then tried 43.2, then 43.3, and finally found the game on 43.5 .

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Willy-

Appreciate your note, however, this is not what happened here.  The only thing that occurred during this was the channels in question moved below the old analog trap cut off.  The analog traps serve no purpose in the all-digital world and need to be removed (truck roll).  The bandwidth changes all the time and is dynamically dependent on the source (in this case Fox43).  For what it's worth, when you tune your clear qam tuner to 43-1, you are watching the same exact QAM/Channel/Fox43HD that a customer with an HD box is watching.

As to the numbering sequence of the channels....

Originally these channels were located on QAM 110 and they were moved QAM 68.  If you used a clear qam tuner previously to get these channels you might not have known that however.  The broadcasters use a data pid on their channel called PSIP.  Program and System Information Protocol is a sort of virtual channel map for a clear qam tuner in that it will place the broadcast network channel on the slot of the broadcaster's chosing.  If PSIP wasn't enabled, you would find these channels on whatever QAM they are on plus the mpeg slot assignment.  Example 68-1 for WHTM-HD instead of 27-1.

Contributor

Technician was just by and removed the old trap from the line so hopefully all is well from here on.

Contributor

Thanks for the feedback catnapped!

Apologize for the confusion you went through.