New Visitor
Ekc01

How do I see expanded basic cable channels on my digital tv?

Have a digital tv but not able to see expanded basic cable channels (like vh1, tbs, etc). We were able to see them for about a month or two after conversion but haven't been able to see them for a while. Any way to fix without renting a box?
Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: How do I see expanded basic cable channels on my digital tv?

[ Edited ]

You will need a digital box, either a full box, or a small DTA to receive any expanded basic channels.  They are now encrypted, and no longer available directly connected to the coax.

If you are a expanded basic subscriber, then your account should have been upgraded to get the digital encrypted channels with no additional cost to your subscription.  Normally expanded basic subscribers would get one full SD set top box and up to 2 small DTA tuners for additional SD sets.

Otherwise, any additional digital boxes would be a additional cost per month.

There was a point in time 4-5 years ago some higher end TV's came with cable card slots to do the unencrypting of the channels, but those are no longer being produced.

I'd certainly recommend anyone with a HD set to spring for the proper HD equipment and related additional costs to enjoy your HD set to it's fullest.

So to answer you, you need a box.