New Visitor
hifi1968
Accepted Solution

How do I setup Descriptive Video?

My wife is blind and enabled it through the menu but still doesn't work.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

Re: How do I setup Descriptive Video?

[ Edited ]

hifi1968 wrote:

My wife is blind and enabled it through the menu but still doesn't work.

While many broadcast networks and cable channels provide DVS (Descriptive Video Services), not all programs have enabled. There is a pretty good up-to-date list of DVS programs over at wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descriptive_Video_Service

Video Descriptions are supplied by programming providers combined with the regular program audio on a separate audio track. Where a programming provider does supply Video Description in a Comcast System, Comcast will pass-through Video Descriptions on the secondary audio channel (sometimes also used for Spanish programming). 

To access the separate audio track that contains Video Description, you would need to select the secondary (usually "Spanish") audio language on the cable box. 

Press the Menu button twice on the Comcast Universal Remote Control. (The Menu button is the red oval-shaped button located to the right of the center of the remote - find the right-facing arrow button and move your thumb to the right and then down.)

A new screen below will appear, with the top-left option automatically selected.Use the down-arrow key (above the Info button) to navigate to Setup and press OK/Select (the center key on the remote control in the middle of the 4 arrow/directional buttons).

Use the down-arrow key (above the Info button) to navigate to Audio setup and press OK/Select.

The Default Audio Track will default to the first optionChannel defaultwhich which is always the channel’s main audio track (unless it was previously changed). 

• Press the right-arrow navigation key to change the audio track.  Changing this selection will instantly change the audio.
    1. Press once for English
    2. Press twice for Spanish (Español) OR to activate Video Description (DVS)
    3. Press three times for French (Français)
    4. Press four times for Portuguese (Portugues).
    5. Then press the Exit button (above the Volume button) to resume program viewing

Please note: These audio options can only be heard if the program provider or cable channel is providing that additional audio option.

Contributor
skillingbeck69

My partner is blind as well and I tried the steps listed.  But there is still no descriptive coming through. 

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

skillingbeck69 wrote:

My partner is blind as well and I tried the steps listed.  But there is still no descriptive coming through. 

While many broadcast networks and cable channels provide DVS (Descriptive Video Services), not all programs have enabled. There is a pretty good up-to-date list of DVS programs over at wikipedia.

Have you had issues with the shows displayed at the link above?

If yes, can you provide the name of the show, the channel name and your general geographic location and I can follow up on what the issue may be. Thanks.

Contributor
skillingbeck69

Chicago Fire, Law and Order; SVU. and I can't remember the other shows.  But I just need help setting up the Descriptive Video Service to actually work.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

skillingbeck69 wrote:

Chicago Fire, Law and Order; SVU. and I can't remember the other shows.  But I just need help setting up the Descriptive Video Service to actually work.

Thanks for providing the show names; the two programs that you provided are both on NBC so there may be an issue locally with the NBC signal or how Comcast delivers that signal. I see that you are located in Illinois.

I am asking the local team to investigate further. Thanks for the details.

Here are the steps again:

To access the separate audio track that contains Video Description, you would need to select the secondary (usually "Spanish") audio language on the cable box. 

Press the Menu button twice on the Comcast Universal Remote Control. (The Menu button is the red oval-shaped button located to the right of the center of the remote - find the right-facing arrow button and move your thumb to the right and then down.)

A new screen below will appear, with the top-left option automatically selected.Use the down-arrow key (above the Info button) to navigate to Setup and press OK/Select (the center key on the remote control in the middle of the 4 arrow/directional buttons).

Use the down-arrow key (above the Info button) to navigate to Audio setup and press OK/Select.

The Default Audio Track will default to the first optionChannel defaultwhich which is always the channel’s main audio track (unless it was previously changed). 

• Press the right-arrow navigation key to change the audio track.  Changing this selection will instantly change the audio.
    3. Then press the Exit button (above the Volume button) to resume program viewing

Please note:  DVS audio options can only be heard if the program provider or cable channel is providing the DVS audio option.

Contributor
skillingbeck69

That would be great if you could find out more information.  I've tried the steps that you've outlined and still nothing comes through.

Thank you again.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

skillingbeck69 wrote:

That would be great if you could find out more information.  I've tried the steps that you've outlined and still nothing comes through.

Thank you again.

The local Comcast team in your area looked into this situation.

WREX is the NBC station in Rockford, IL that serves your area and airs the two programs that you mentioned.

WREX does not support DVS at this time. Our team recently talked with WREX engineers about DVS and they do not yet have a date yet when WREX will support DVS.

You can reach WREX here:

10322 Auburn Road
Rockford, IL 61103

PO Box 530
Rockford, IL 61105

Main Phone: 815-335-2213
Main Fax: 815-335-7230
Main Email: wrex@wrex.com

One of our local support team members will contact you to verify that DVS is working on other channels in your area. 

Contributor
CoastGuardGirl

I am also having this problem. I am totally visually impaired and would like to get the shows on my local channels WSAV, WJCL, PBS to be described. I have audio description set up and it works on the cable networks like TBS, TNT, TCM, but not on my local channels. Please look into this.
Contributor
skillingbeck69

I'd like to know, too for my partner.  I can't even get the DVS to work on the TBS, TNT, TCM and other cable channels.

Contributor
CoastGuardGirl

The way I got those channels to work is make sure DVS is set to on, and then go into language and change it to Spanish.
Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

CoastGuardGirl wrote:
I am also having this problem. I am totally visually impaired and would like to get the shows on my local channels WSAV, WJCL, PBS to be described. I have audio description set up and it works on the cable networks like TBS, TNT, TCM, but not on my local channels. Please look into this.

Thanks for providing the station names where you are having DVS issues. the local Comcast team in Savannah is tracking this down as it may be an issue with the individual local broadcasters in your area. Thanks for your patience while we investigate .    

New Visitor
SebasAndrade

I live in Denver, where DVS is working just fine on ABC, CBS, FOX, Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, TBS, TNT, and USA.

However, there are some audio difficulties with SAP on the NBC affiliate, KUSA. The normal audio seems to be layered with the non-described audio, causing the soundtrack to have a bit of a tinny echo, with the narrative audio being rather quiet or inaudible, especially during moments of loud sound effects or music. This is the only channel that has this problem.

Also, is it possible to enable the SAP track for the PBS channel 6 affilliate, KRMA (Rocky Mountain PBS)? According to their FAQ page (http://www.rmpbs.org/faqs/index.cfm/fuseaction/displayFaq/faqID/58/contentID/82.htm) they are offering video descriptions, however I cannot access the second audio track on Comcast. (same thing with the other PBS affiliat CPT ch. 12, but I don't know if they offer a SAP track)

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

SebasAndrade wrote:

I live in Denver, where DVS is working just fine on ABC, CBS, FOX, Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, TBS, TNT, and USA.

However, there are some audio difficulties with SAP on the NBC affiliate, KUSA. The normal audio seems to be layered with the non-described audio, causing the soundtrack to have a bit of a tinny echo, with the narrative audio being rather quiet or inaudible, especially during moments of loud sound effects or music. This is the only channel that has this problem.

Also, is it possible to enable the SAP track for the PBS channel 6 affilliate, KRMA (Rocky Mountain PBS)? According to their FAQ page (http://www.rmpbs.org/faqs/index.cfm/fuseaction/displayFaq/faqID/58/contentID/82.htm) they are offering video descriptions, however I cannot access the second audio track on Comcast. (same thing with the other PBS affiliat CPT ch. 12, but I don't know if they offer a SAP track)

Apologies for the DVS issues you described on KUSA and KRMA. I have asked our Comcast Denver team to investigate this further. I'll post again when I have some details.  

New Visitor
SebasAndrade

[ Edited ]

And in response to Comcast employee Matt Pierce's inquiries, the issue is with both receivers in my house.

If you have any further questions, please contact me at @gmail.com rather than by phone. Thanks.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

SebasAndrade wrote:

And in response to Comcast employee Matt Pierce's inquiries, the issue is with both receivers in my house.

If you have any further questions, please contact me at @gmail.com rather than by phone. Thanks.

Thanks, I removed your e-mail address from the above and passed along your note above to our team (including Matt). 

New Visitor
lumato

Hello my wife has low vision.  We used to receive DVS and it was primarily on CBS.  We did not get the service on TBS, TNT USA ABC, FOX or NBC.

Please help.  I contacted tech support and they informed me that we were set up to receive, however, we are not receiving the audio.  I even contacted the local station KPIX in the SF BAY area she usually watches and no audio for DVS came thru on the days indicated from the programming:

This is what CBS 5 KPIX sent me...

Here is the list from CBS 5:

Primetime - Video Description Update 

In addition to the weekly, CRIMINAL MINDS, NCIS, NCIS: LOS ANGELES and CSI: CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION programs that are available with Video Description, please note the following specials that will be broadcast with Video Description: 

*Friday, November 23 & FROSTY THE SNOWMAN 
Saturday, December 8 

*Friday, November 23 & FROSTY RETURNS 
Saturday, December 8 

*Friday, November 23 HOOPS & YOYO RUIN CHRISTMAS 

* Friday, November 23 IT’S A SPONGEBOB CHRISTMAS 

*Tuesday, December 4 & RUDOLPH THE RED NOSED REINDEER 
Friday, December 14 

*Saturday, December 8 THE FLIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS 

*Friday, December 14 YES, VIRGINIA 

*Friday, December 14 THE ELF ON THE SHELF: AN ELF’S STORY 

*Saturday, December 15 CBS SPECIAL MOVIE: ELF 

*Denotes Update

Thank you for your email.

CBS 5

New Visitor
chrisgalliher

I would like to setup the descripive video but have not had any luck. I have followed the instructions given but it does not work.

pushed menu twice

selected setup

selected audio setup

set default audio track to espanol (also tried English)

descriptive video service; set to on

We are watching NCIS but ther DVS is not working.

I also accessed the cable box setup by turning off the cable box and then pushing the Menu buttton. There is a settng for descriptive video but it is grayed out and can not be turned on. Any help would be appreciated.

I live in Anderson Indiana if that helps.

Thanks,

Chris

New Visitor
mafish

Hello all,

My wife and I ar both blind and were wondering if we would be able to recieve the audio described programming  here in Richmond Virginia.  If so will it be local channels like ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX and/or are we able to get USA, TNT, TBS etc?  Thank you for any help you can provide.  I contacted the service agent at the 800 number and they did not know what I was talking about.  Also if these services are not available to us could I please get some contact info so that I may contact my providers. 

Thank you again,

Mike

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

mafish wrote:

Hello all,

My wife and I ar both blind and were wondering if we would be able to recieve the audio described programming  here in Richmond Virginia.  If so will it be local channels like ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX and/or are we able to get USA, TNT, TBS etc?  Thank you for any help you can provide.  I contacted the service agent at the 800 number and they did not know what I was talking about.  Also if these services are not available to us could I please get some contact info so that I may contact my providers. 

Thank you again,

Mike

While many broadcast networks and cable channels provide DVS (Descriptive Video Services), not all programs have this feature enabled. There is a pretty good up-to-date list of DVS programs over at wikipedia.

Video Descriptions are supplied by programming providers combined with the regular program audio on a separate audio track. Where a programming provider does supply Video Description in a Comcast System, Comcast will pass-through Video Descriptions on the secondary audio channel (sometimes also used for Spanish programming). 

3. Press three times for French (Français)
    4. Press four times for Portuguese (Portugues).
    5. Then press the Exit button (above the Volume button) to resume program viewing

Please note: These audio options can only be heard if the program provider or cable channel is providing that additional audio option.

New Visitor
kharshfield

Can't seem to (for the past 3 years) get:

Masterpiece Mystery or Masterpiece Classic

KQED channel 709 on Comcast-Novato (Calif)

Thank you.

New Visitor
kharshfield

Is there any way to watch videos available online through comcast with DVS?

Contributor
CoastGuardGirl

Does anyone have the actual steps on how to set it up using the silver remote? I am totally blind and have called comcast several times and they have no clue most of the time what the video description is or how to walk me through how to set it up. I just need how many times to go down and press select. Thanks.
New Visitor
wolfiemama

I have two questions:  We are in the Montgomery County, PA market (just outside Philly) and do not receive DVS on Big Bang Theory, which offers the service.  Who do I need to contact for this?

Secondly, is it possible to make DVS activation a one button process since it's designed for the visually impaired?  It cannot be left on because you never know when a show will just not have sound or will be broadcast in Spanish if DVS is on.  Seems kind of ridiculous that so many steps are required to turn it on when the whole point is to enrich the experience for people who cannot see!

Thanks

Contributor
VoTM

How do I turn off Descriptive Video (Re: How do I setup Descriptive Video?)

We have the opposite problem of most people on this thread. On the last occasion that we recorded NBC's "Grimm", descriptive video was apparently turned on. We seem to be stuck with this narration on our recording. We tried changing the audio track from "Channel Default" to "English" (and, in fact, to every other language); the narration persists regardless. So...

1) Will setting the default audio track to "English" prevent future recordings from picking up this narration?

2) Once a show is recorded to DVR (Cisco RNG200), is there a way to suppress the narration?

3) Aside from the Default Audio Track setting, is there any other way to turn off DVS?

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

Descriptive Video Service

Customer got some answers in another thread; cross posted

New Visitor
Melisa22

So I followed your directions and got it work. Yay me! Buuuuuuutttttt.......

Some channels don't work. Some come thru Spanish other are just silent. I understand that some station don't have the service so now I am in need of an easy quick way to turn it off so she can do it herself. My friend lives by herself and needs to be able to do this on her own. Is there a short cut?
Official Employee
ComcastTeds

Melisa22 wrote:
So I followed your directions and got it work. Yay me! Buuuuuuutttttt.......

Some channels don't work. Some come thru Spanish other are just silent. I understand that some station don't have the service so now I am in need of an easy quick way to turn it off so she can do it herself. My friend lives by herself and needs to be able to do this on her own. Is there a short cut?

Not all channels and programs have DVS.

We do have some improvements coming later this year that will enable one touch enabling and disabling of DVS services. Thanks for your patience. 

Official Employee
ComcastTeds