Visitor

How to remove channels from the guide?

Hello folks, I can't believe I can't find info on how to do this.  Now that the kids are getting older and channel surfing on their own, I want to totaly remove certain unacceptable channels from the guide completely.  So called Parental controls can block a channel, but the seedy show names still show in the guide.  Titles can be blocked too, but how am I to know all the possible show titles to block?  I simply need the ability to not show certain channels I will never watch in the guide.

If this is not allowed, I will seriously have to look into alternatives to Comcast.  This would be a shame as we have been a totally happy customer for years until this issue.  Do other cable or satellite companies allow the removal of channels from their guides?

This can't be tough, so how to do it?

Thanks for your help,

Gary

Recognized Contributor

Re: How to remove channels from the guide?

[ Edited ]

You can go in and set it so  the guide will only say adult programing for the adult channels rather than giving the names of the programs and a description of what the shows are about. Go to menu to setup to parental control ,put a pin in  brings up screen that says movie rating locks tv rating locks go to hide titles push select hide titles comes up you can hide titles of adult and tv ma or hide titles of adult programs hit select it puts a check and then those channels in the guide wont show anything on the guide but adult programing. That is the best I could get. This will block any adult titles and descriptions on any channels even ones that are not locked out.

Visitor

Yes thanks for your reply but I'm afraid I know all that, I want to remove certain channels that we will never watch completely from the guide.

I can't believe that can't be done. 

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

The only option is to use "favorites".

Visitor

Unless you can set a favorite as the default when you turn on the box, that won't work to keep channels hidden by default also.  :-(

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

[ Edited ]

It can't be done. Our local phone company provides television service also using the DHCT set top box; Motorola brand last time I saw one in use and I know people that use their service. Same issue. All you can do is use Favorites to go to your channels or scroll through the whole guide to find your channel. I asked them about that issue also one time.

I don't use that since an elderly parent live with me and technology doesn't mix too well with them. At least now with Comcast I don't need even the DTA box and the remote for that. Will have to see what happens when they complete the digital transition later this year.

Contributor

what do you think this is att, dish network, direct tv, verizon fios, etc.......

it cant be done on 1992 equipment.

Bronze Star Contributor
Mongo53e

[ Edited ]

My post was deleted, and I got a message from an ADMIN stating I was trolling, lets just say it can easily be done with other services, I leave you to ponder why it can't be done with COMCAST.

Regular Problem Solver

[ Edited ]

My guess is that as a for-profit company they want all customers to "see" the channels that you are not subscribed to and the shows on them in the hopes that you may be intrigued and then call and order that particular channel or that level of service. 

It's the whole "look what you could be watching and what you are missing."     

Favorites works to do what you want to do - my own concern about setting up Favorites is that if/when Comcast adds new channels that I am entitled to and paying for and get --- I may not know about them or come across them. So I don't use Favorites. I use the Page Down and Page Up keys a lot though.  

New Visitor
USARET77

Not only do I wish I could remove unwanted channels, I cannot believe that Comcast does not have it set up so that you can only see the channels available under your plan.  Yes it would be nice to be able to see channel configuration under other plans, but for day-to-day it only clutters programming searches and complicates the entire process to have to sort through all the channels.  A simple "show all channels" button would solve that problem.  I think it is ironic that Comcast advertises customer service but does not practice what they preach.  If it were not for the broadband service, I would have moved elsewhere.  A perfect example was the move to HD.  It would have made sense for channels that had HD service to be listed with the same channel number in the 400s.  Such as channel 5 being listed in HD as channel 405.  That would have been simple and would have made life easy on the customer.  Does noone at Comcast have any common sense?

New Visitor

You may have programing on your TV that will do this if you are using a coaxle cable, however if you are using a RGB or HDMI input it is likely you will not have this programing available. 

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

If you are using your Television alone yes you can remove channels from your channel scanning. But the STB boxes do not allow this function I can do that on one tv in my house that is connected directly to the cable line. But anything from Comcast no go.