Contributor

LGTV and a sudden scrambled channel or weak signal for channels like scifi

Can anyone please tell me why channels like scifi suddenly disappear?  I was going to turn onto my favorite shows for the night and received the nice scrambled or weak signal message.
Contributor

Re: LGTV and a sudden scrambled channel or weak signal for channels like scifi

I have a secondary box and just a tv remote not a comcast remote.  Does that help anyone?
Contributor

Were you tuning in directly, without a STB or DTA?

This happened to me. I believe a large chunk of channels have been scrambled. I can tune them with a DTA or STB, but not my TV's built in tuner.

Locally (Portland, OR) the channels include Syfy, Cartoon Network, MSNBC, TNT, and most of the sports programming.

The big problem here is that my PC-based DVR can no longer record many programs I like.

If you WERE using a STB, try power-cycling them. They should reload the channel map and programming and hopefully work.

Regular Problem Solver

Comcast is moving channels from analog to digital so non-local channels (usually above 30) will disappear unless you have a box.  See this.  You may need to rescan if local channels are missing but they should be accessible without a box.  If you're using a box, try resetting it.  If you're missing channels that you should have access to even with a box call 800 Comcast.  They may need to send a signal to the box or have a tech come out and replace it.

Contributor

STB Or DTA? 

Tried reprogramming my channels but for example, TNT and Sci Fi channels were not added because the tv said they were 'scrambled' .  

Am tempted to unplug the cable box for 10 seconds and reboot it to see it it would work.  Do you think that might work?

Contributor

I have a new Samsung LGTV, just got it about two months ago, so I shouldn't have any problems with dropped channels.   Once they started converting channels over during the summer with my old tv I did need a box.  It's only seems to be those two channels that have issues, know what it looks like on an analog and this isn't it.  And why only two channels when all the other channels look good?
Regular Problem Solver

If the signal is scrambled when directly connected you'll need a DTA (digital to analog) or a regular STB.  I believe comcast is providing them for free for the 1st year.  If the signal is still scambled thru the box and you should have access to it then you'll need to call Comcast.  If your getting a signal but the picture is not clear or the channel states "channel should be available" msg then you may have a weak signal that is affecting only certain channels.  On the moto boxes you can check your signal strength by following these steps but you may need to call and have a tech check the lines.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Now if I switch to a HRC (harmonic related carrier) option or an IRC (incremental related carrier) rather than sticking with the STD, would that work?  I don't have an analog tv anymore, so I don't find the reason of getting the scrambled channel. 

Just tried the HRC, nope nada, ziltch.  On the IRC scanning now.  Emailed Comcast to see what they say.  Just don't know why I can't get certain channels on a non analog tv with a digital broadband comcast box.  Maybe its just me.

Message Edited by taynb on 11-13-2009 08:58 PM
Contributor

Thanks everyone for the help, but decided to email Comcast and see what they tell me.  If need be, will do without channels like the Scyfy and TNT channels.