New Visitor
Madnana

Local/Comcast commercials cuting into network programming

I've noticed this a lot more lately.. towards the end of some commercial breaks, cable/broadcast networks allow local cable providers to add in their own commercials before the program comes back on. But over the last several weeks, Comcast has been way off with their timing.. sometimes cutting into a full minute of the program. It's been happening on NBC, Animal Planet and other channels, usually with Xfinity commercials. How do I complain about this? Is anyone else having this problem in their area? or is it just here in Wilsonville, OR?

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Re: Local/Comcast commercials cuting into network programming

This is not a new topic. Since this is primarily a customer to customer help forum I suggest sending an email to the following address

we_can_help@comcast.com

They can forward the issue to the local people that need to figure out what is going on.

New Visitor
mamills2

Re: Extra commercials interrupting TV shows

This is happening right now during the NFC championship football game.  Xfinity commercials while the game broadcast is still on.  Ridiculous!

Alexandria, VA on FOX HD Channel

New Visitor
Unhappy1980

The Xfinity commercials actually being played OVER network programming are outrageous, particularly the NFL conference championship games.  Comcast should be ashamed. I am switching to Fios.

Contributor
scorched675

Yes happening right now during game!!

I simply can not wait for FIOS in my neighborhood!

New Visitor

Commercials While Play in Action in NFC Championship Game

What would possibly possess the Frederick Comcast people to run commercials in the last minute of OT of the NFC Championship Game before play had ended. This is the most obsurd action I have ever seen in any football game of any sort.

There should be people fired ove this and I have notified the NFL and will notify FOX about this insult to the subscribers.

Contributor
scorched675

we just missed part of the game because of comcast!!!

New Visitor

STOP PLAYING COMMERCIALS DURING THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will you please stop running your own commericals during the game!!!  You are going to lose customers and I feel that you are infringing on our rights; you have no right to play your own commericals whenever you want!!!!

Visitor
evanvr

Re: Commercials While Play in Action in NFC Championship Game

Unbelievable....and infuriating....but there is nothing Fox, or the NFL will do.  They are probably in on it.  Either way we are at cable company's mercy as always...

Contributor
jricharc

Same here in Manassas, VA.  Really not a way to keep customers Comcast, I won't miss you.

New Visitor
jkitzmillerr24

This is INSANE....cutting to an xfinity commercial after every play of the playoff game??? We miss the punt return!! Knock it off!!
New Visitor

Re: STOP PLAYING COMMERCIALS DURING THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Opps move this to TV not internet, but interneters should know too.

New Visitor
ardms

I'm watching the NFC Championship game right now, and Comcast commercials (no other adverts) have broken into the live broadcast three times. I'm tired of Comcast's cable service; I'm switching back to DirecTV.
New Visitor
Dfrac49

Lack of professionalism during the NFC Championship game

Why are Xfinity commercials popping on and keep interrupting the NFC Championship game???!!! This is NOT cool...please make it STOP!!! So very unprofessional. We have missed plays and I am upset! It doesn't matter if it is the station or what...it should not continue to happen over and over again.

New Visitor

complete BS that they can and WOULD do this.  What a BS company that they would actually think of doing this.  If they do this during the super bowl, GOOD-BYE COMCAST...HELLO ANYONE else.

Contributor
jricharc

How about a credit on my next bill Comcast, keep it up and I am out for good.

New Visitor

STOP with YOUR commercials during the game while it is in play!!!!!!! Going to switch companies if it happens one more time!

Contributor
jricharc

I expect a credit on my bill this month, but I know that will never happen....

New Visitor

I agree, they can do whatever they want and keep raising their prices.  We should get a credit for this.  It's completely unacceptable for a company to do this.  I wish I can change.

New Visitor
Rodsoup

Who is making these stupid decisions?????

New Visitor
jbsagent

Agreed! Somebody should get fired.  My wife has already been urging me to cancel Comcast.  If the same thing happens with the Super Bowl, that will do it.

New Visitor
dpcross65

Re: Lack of professionalism during the NFC Championship game

What gives Comcast the right to break into the Fox Broadcast?  Truely ruined the game.  Do I not pay enough for your services?  Thanks Comcast.

New Visitor
wgmiller

Initiallly believed it might  be a mistake, but it is obviously intentional and absolutely incredible.  What next?  Will Comcast spit through the TV into my face?

Contributor
scorched675

customer support has no answers.. but you might get a credit for the month

New Visitor

ya I won't be holding my breath that Comcast would contact me about their stupid issues that they are causing and I'm not going to spend my time when I know they won't offer anything back to me.  They only look after their bottom dollar and not ours, I wish I could change.

New Visitor

Fire them now. Don't wait.

New Visitor
terriblexfinity

Re: Lack of professionalism during the NFC Championship game

I to posted my own about this. Comcast, you really truly ruined quite a few plays and I would be so happy if you never did that again. I pay you plenty of money every month. This was unproffessional and ludacris.

-very unhappy customer.

New Visitor
AOtay

I am in Montgomery County, MD and had the problem. These (a word they won't let me use) were sticking their commercials in when the network was staying with the game. They had to make a concious decision to have someone ready to stick those stupid commercials in where ever they thought there would be 30 seconds. This is EXACTLY why xfinity or comcast (whatever you try to call yourself) is considered the worst company in the US no matter which list youi look at. If I only faced South, I could go to Dish Network. I was with them for 15 years. Now they know how to run a TV delivery service.

New Visitor
AOtay

here is another thought....contact your local news station and tell them that lots of people are really mad at XFinity.

New Visitor

I am on their chat help and they are offering $10 credit and "say" this won't happen again.

Contributor
scorched675

I got the $10 credit but they told me it was out of their control.  So hope their right about what they said about you.

Being new to Virginia I am not used to the monopoly of a single cable company and the abuse we receieve as customers.

One piece of advise is to file a complaint with the FCC everytime we have these kinds of issues.  They seem to call me pretty quickly when I do that.

Any advise if Dish or DirectTV is a real alternative?

New Visitor
erbuch

I would suggest lodging a formal complaint to the FCC!  I just did.  Here is the link: http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

New Visitor

I complained more and they gave me $20.  Still not enough.  I am sending an email to Fox to let them know what Comcast did during their (Fox) broadcast.

Contributor
scorched675

filed my FCC complaint and contact the local fox station over the incident.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

its your local comcast affiliate.

New Visitor
marylandpkp

I'm in Rockville MD and I saw the same thing.  I don't think this is a timing issue or an error on the part of Comcast.  It's obvious that they deliberately cut into the broadcast and at times they actually interupted the gameplay.  Absolutely rediculous.  I plan on contacting the Washington Post, my local TV stations, etc.  I'm also going to call Verizon - maybe they can run some ads promising that they will never do this to their customers. 

New Visitor
porculator

I switched to direcTV this year for TV because it was cheaper (even with NFL sunday ticket) but watched this game at a friend's house with comcast, and was appalled by the ill-timed commercials. I didn't like Comcast for TV when I had it so I'll take this opportunity to let everyone know how much better direcTV is, especially for football.

Regular Contributor

Happened in Ashburn, VA too

New Visitor
slkurtz

Obviously Comcast is smart enough to realize (I hope) that self-promotion in the middle of the action would not be well received and would have a negative affect.  So it must have been a mistake.  But the question now is: what are they doing to fix the issue (I've seen posts that it has happened before, but they blew it off); and what are they going to do for all their customers who are understandable upset by the incident?  So Comcast, what are you going to do???

New Visitor
UFBINVA

just spoke to a comcast guy, he says it was technical difficulty, what BS

Contributor

Calm down.  Mad much?: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/post/comcast-commercial-interruptions-caused-by-equip...

$10 even though it was out of their hands.  Not bad.

New Visitor
sjnova

We have put up with years of poor quality from Comcast -- incuding endless signal problems resulting in unavailability of channels. Last night's performance, however, takes the prize. Cutting away from key moments of the NFC Chamionship game in order to show ads? Doing this over and over again, over a span of many minutes, without any apparent effort to correct the problem? And then, of course, blaming the problem on another party. The fact that the ads that interrupted the game were all touting the wonders of "Xfinity's" service at least added a comic element to viewers' pain.

Bear in mind that we are talking here about the most crucial moments of one of the highest rated live television programs of the entire year -- more than one third of all households in the United States were watching. For football fans, the final moments of a tied NFL conference championship game are as good as it ever gets. And, for Giants or 49ers fans -- of whom there are a lot in our area, myself included -- these were among the most significant moments we will ever experience in our lives as fans. Except, we didn't experience many of them. Instead, we experinced Comcast promoting itself. There is simply no excuse for charging customers over $1,000 a year for a service, and then failing to deliver that service with even minimal competence.

Does anybody doubt that if Comcast spent a little less ad money making exaggerated claims about its fabulous service and/or spent a bit less on its executive's massive salaries and/or took a smidgen off the top of its hefty profits, and invested the money in actually delivering decent service, that it could find a way to safeguard against screw-ups so obviously avoidable as this?

As to Comcast's predictable attempt at buck-passing, a few points are worth noting. DirectTV and Verizon show the same Fox broadcast that Comcast shows. If the problem is Fox's, why did it exclusively affect Comcast customers? More importantly, even if there were some truth to the claim, how does this lessen Comcast's responsibility? They offer a service which includes this Fox channel. Since the problem was specific to Comcast, if it was on Fox's end, clearly it had something to do with the way Comcast and Fox interface. It is Comcast's job to work with its partners to deliver a decent product. They failed. 

Comcast claims in its statement that it  "sympathizes" with the "frustrations of viewers." If that is true, then why doesn't Comcast provide a significant refund to all customers, not just to those few who call in, wait for five, or ten, or thirty minutes on the phone, and demand it? Answer: because Comast thinks we are all suckers. We keep paying enormous sums for mediocre service and they keep raking it in. When they deliver this kind of monumental screw up, they issue a three sentence statement -- in which they A) blame it on someone else and :smileycool: claim, unpersuasively, that they "sympathize" with our frustrations -- and then they pay a few bucks to the few hundred people who take the time to complain by phone. In other words, they do the bare minimum and will continue to do so until and unless they start to lose substantial numbers of customers.

In the final sentence of their official statement, Comcast says that the Fox station they blame is "working to ensure that it cannot happen again." You know what definitely won't happen again? The last few crucial minutes of the 2012 NFC Championship -- the ones we missed while watching paid actors praise Comcast.

New Visitor
UFBINVA

Only equiopment failure Xfinity had was the equipment between the ears of they individual who made the decision to show commercials.

New Visitor

NFL NFC Championship game ruined by infinity commercial

Here I am a dedicated Giants fan watching my team going into overtime to eventually win the game, which comcast made me miss a lot of.  Between plays, they would pop up a infinity commercial.  They were doing it even before the refs blew the whistle.  Then they started missing plays.  How did the Giants get the ball, now clue, didn't see the punt.  The did this for the entire overtime.  Now all an infinity commercial does is make me angry.   I am on hold with customer support (over 30 min) and will send a complaint to the FCC and send a note to Fox and the NFL since they didn't only splash in on the game but actually cut of other commercials to show me, yes you got it, another infinity commercial.  Verizon can't get here quick enough. 

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Re: NFL NFC Championship game ruined by infinity commercial

dagobin wrote:

Here I am a dedicated Giants fan watching my team going into overtime to eventually win the game, which comcast made me miss a lot of.  Between plays, they would pop up a infinity commercial.  They were doing it even before the refs blew the whistle.  Then they started missing plays.  How did the Giants get the ball, now clue, didn't see the punt.  The did this for the entire overtime.  Now all an infinity commercial does is make me angry.   I am on hold with customer support (over 30 min) and will send a complaint to the FCC and send a note to Fox and the NFL since they didn't only splash in on the game but actually cut of other commercials to show me, yes you got it, another infinity commercial.  Verizon can't get here quick enough. 

It's Xfinity.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor
seajudge

My First Time

Hey programming smart guys...why did you (Comcast/Xfinity) continously and at least 5 times impose commercial sales pitches during the NFC Championship game?  To do that (denial of service hacking) during live NFL game play AND during the crucial 4th quarter and overtime is beyond arrogance.  I paid your company in advance for that game and my TV time!  You have managed to really tick me off and you risk losing a new customer, plus maybe everyone I come in contact with in the DC area looking for cable service in the future. 

Get smart Comcast/Xfinity, now!  Your service rep can call me anytime to settle up.  I'm in the book.

New Visitor
seajudge

Comcast and Fox TV January 22, 2012

I got this info from the Comcast service rep on duty the night of January 23rd.  She was so patient and cordial too.

The nice Comcast folks paid Fox TV (National Capital Region) a princely sum to run sales ads during the Fox TV NFL broadcast on January 22nd.  Fox TV followed through on the contract agreement and gladly plugged Comcast/Xfinity services for the 60 million avid footbal fans during key segments of the NFL Championship football game on Sunday night.  Wow, what a bonanza for the Comcast ad guys!  Unfortunately, millions saw classic corporate mismanagement vice well-timed ads.  I am remided of the infamous Heidi Game, again!  Comcast advised me tonight that the company has no liability for Fox TV interrupting its own broadcasts to run Comcast ads.  I got it.  So....

Good by Comcast.  Revenge is a dish best served cold.  Do that times 60 million and see what happens.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Comcast and Fox TV January 22, 2012

Here is what happened.  It was a local fox affiliate that had an issue.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/23/comcast-xfinity-ads-interrupt-nfc-championship/

Contributor

Re: Comcast and Fox TV January 22, 2012

WTTG has now confirmed that they were at fault and despite that Comcast is still giving you people $10 credits and you're still going conspiratorial? Hate Comcast so much? Vote with your wallet. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/tv-column/post/who-gets-credit-for-xfinity-commericals-that-inte...
Administrator
ComcastLarry

Re: NFL NFC Championship game ruined by infinity commercial

We know some DC-area viewers missed portions of the NFC Championship game due to additional ads inserted locally, and we sympathize with their frustrations.  The additional ads inserted in the NFC Championship game were a result of an equipment issue at FOX DC. We understand that some consumers thought Comcast placed those ads intentionally – please know that local ad insertion on local broadcast channels is handled directly by the broadcaster, not Comcast.

Please know that WTTG, the local FOX affiliate in DC, is continuing to investigate the issue, but believes it was due to an equipment failure at the station and they are working to ensure it cannot happen again.

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-