New Visitor
navimehra

Longhorn Network?

When is Comcast going to add the Longhorn Network in Denver? Please update with any plans to do so...

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

Re: Longhorn Network?

navimehra wrote:

When is Comcast going to add the Longhorn Network in Denver? Please update with any plans to do so...

Comcast and many other major video providers do not currently have an agreement or contract to offer the Longhorn Network.

In fact only a few smaller video providers in Texas currently offer this channel as an option, likely due to its reported high cost and narrow focus. These are additional costs that would likely be passed along to customers.

Our content and programming teams are in regular contact with ESPN (one of the owners and the distribution arm for The Longhorn Network) on many topics, including this network.

Some good "inside baseball" at the link below (from Feb 2012, but still a good read and assessment) regarding this:  

http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2012/2/14/2797675/update-on-longhorn-network-dont-hold-your-breath

My understanding is this network is not currently available to be offered as a single "premium channel" or allowed to be bundled with other sports channels. 

ESPN's current stance is that the Longhorn Network is required to be offered to a very widely distributed level of service, which those costs would likely be distributed along to all customers in that area. 

So no, not expected to be available in Denver soon from Comcast.

New Visitor
Z-man101

U-verse today picked it up across 22 states.  Comcast better get on it or you'll be hemoraghing Longhorn viewrs in those areas.  These things take time.  You've got 90 days.

Recognized Contributor
medziatkowicz

they aren't going to get longhorn network. There is no reason to unless you live in texas, really. Preferrably the big 12 will work with espn to transform that network into the big 12 network. ONLY Then will we see other television providers add the channel.

Time Warner doesn't have it and they are the major cable operator in texas. DirecTV doesn't have it and they are the biggest sports provider, Dish network doesn't even have it.

So comcast isn't the only provider that doesn't carry it,

New Visitor
messley

I'm on the phone with uverse right now checking availability.  See ya comcast.

New Visitor
Z-man101

22 states is nearly half the country.  U-verse isn't making a regonal decision.  I don't understand the economics of digital programming and how these decisions get made.  However, I do know that cable/satellite providers are like sheep.  U-verse blinked first....others will follow.  I like Comcast.....I'll give them 90 days (+ or -).

New Visitor
Brianh1024

I will give Comcast a week, then I order U-Verse
New Visitor
Brianh1024

No response Comcast?
Contributor
KantVersusHume

I truly prefer Comcast to Uverse or Direct TV, for my own well considered reasons. I have absolutely no desire to switch from Comcast to either of those services. But, if you don't rectify this quick, I will drop you like a bad habit either as soon as Direct TV carries LHN or as soon as I can get AT&T to drop line/initiate service to my house if it is technically feasible from a QA perspective.

Recognized Contributor
medziatkowicz

They aren't going to add Longhorn network. I've been through this before. Because ESPN refused to add it to their agreement reached in January Comcast won't even negotiate.

New Visitor
GastonArg

Longhorn Network is LIVE in Houston on UVERSE!!!   My neighbor has it and it's there!!!   So I am calling Comcast right now to cancel and switch!

Contributor
KantVersusHume

[ Edited ]

medziatkowicz wrote:

They aren't going to add Longhorn network. I've been through this before. Because ESPN refused to add it to their agreement reached in January Comcast won't even negotiate.

Well, that is their prerogative.  

If so, let the chips fall where they may.  If Direct TV offers LHN before Comcast, I will switch that day for television, cut telephony with them in preference for Vonage or Ooma, and soley use them for internet access until a comparable service/pricepoint is offered in my area, at which time I will switch to them.  Same goes with AT&T Uverse or any other viable competitor

I hate that ESPN is UT's partner on this deal as I despise ESPN, but that cannot be altered.  What can be altered is Comcast's response.  As regards this particular contract, Comcast can choose not to accept or negotiate if they like, but I hope that enough pressure is now being applied by AT&T and other potential carriers to force Comcast to reconsider.  I'm just trying to add my own, albeit infintesimal, pressure personally.  

I really don't care if Comcast doesn't like the deal offered, nor if it is a reasonable deal being offered to Comcast.  Comcast doesn't consult with me on the various stations I am forced to subsidize by them in order to make use of their service the way I wish to.  Their basic response to me is if I don't like subsidizing those channels, take my business elsewhere, to somebody else who will force the same deal relatively upon me.  

Just letting Comcast know that the first to offer LHN in a way available to me gets my money.  It's there for Comcast to keep or lose.

Recognized Contributor
medziatkowicz

Comcast TRIED to negotiate with espn to include it in the NEW agreement signed in January. ESPN said they want a seperate agreement. So Comcast decided to just drop it. It's a shame when everyone wants so much a subscriber and in reality all they show are texas shows.

Like I have repeatedly mentioned they need to transform into a BIG12 network.

Contributor
KantVersusHume

[ Edited ]

medziatkowicz wrote:

Comcast TRIED to negotiate with espn to include it in the NEW agreement signed in January. ESPN said they want a seperate agreement. So Comcast decided to just drop it. It's a shame when everyone wants so much a subscriber and in reality all they show are texas shows.

Like I have repeatedly mentioned they need to transform into a BIG12 network.

Respectfully, we have a very different perspective on the fundamental realities involved in contract negotiations amongst gigantic corporations. If you are satisfied with Comcast's PR response to the situation with LHN, that is your position. I hold the position that, hypothetically, were Comcast to somehow become aware that it was a certainty that 10% of their customer base were prepared to discontinue service with them if Direct TV began carrying LHN, and then Direct TV announced they would be carrying LHN, Comcast would immediately come to terms, even if Comcast found them distasteful, with ESPN and LHN would be in their lineup--with Comcast likely announcing their own agreement with ESPN within 24 hours of Direct TV's announcement. My position is that nothing here is contractually ironclad and intractable, and both sides are blowing PR smoke toward our nether regions.

If I purchased ESPN programming directly from Disney/Hearst--an impossibility--I would direct what pressure I could, at least express my position as I am now, to them. I buy broadcasting content from Comcast, much of it forced subsidization by Comcast, so that I may get cable broadcasting. Comcast, not ESPN, leveraged various methods and amounts of political power over the years such that I do not have any other cable service available to me in my neighborhood, only satellite, and that only recently. Of the two companies, neither of which I find to be remotely altruistic, I lay the responsibility that I do not have LHN available at the feet of the actor most directly responsible for my situation--Comcast.

Is ESPN being unreasonable? Yes. Is Comcast being unreasonable? Yes. Should the LHN become the Big12 network? No. I am a Texas Longhorn fan. I wish to be able to watch as many UT sporting events as possible that I could not previously without LHN (especially basketball and baseball, which are barely available right now do to this negotiation being at loggerheads).  Should a Big12 network be in the works? Certainly. I would like to have that as well.

(Seems like I saw in one of your other posts that you are a WVU fan. Welcome to the Big12. I cannot begin to express what an improvement it is to have you and TCU over aggy and Mizzou. Outside of Oklahoma St., WVU is the other team in conference that I will enjoy rooting for when not playing Texas. I hope I am wrong here, but I think you are going to lay the wood to us this year. Regardless, if you are the WVU fan I saw in here, welcome.)

New Visitor
sportsguytx

Get with the program Comcast....give the Texas audience the Longhorn Network.  Stop being cheap

New Visitor
Longhornfan

Now that Time Warner has added The Longhorn Network to their lineup up channels I am hoping that Comcast will soon follow suite.  Our fan base is wide spread and is not just in the state of Texas or the city of Austin.  Get with the program Comcast!!! Get Longhorn network for Longhorn fans and football fans across the country!

Security Expert
CajunTek

Longhornfan wrote:

Now that Time Warner has added The Longhorn Network to their lineup up channels I am hoping that Comcast will soon follow suite.  Our fan base is wide spread and is not just in the state of Texas or the city of Austin.  Get with the program Comcast!!! Get Longhorn network for Longhorn fans and football fans across the country!

As I pointed out in another thread. TWC also dropped both CBS and Showtime. Me I'd rather have CBS and Showtime.

TANSTAAFL!!

New Visitor
jeffandlana

Time-Warner has it. If I had only known.

Contributor

Have you guys researched how many games its ACTUALLY going to feature.........