Visitor
al415

Missing chanels continus get error code S0a00

for the pass a few months i have missing on and off chanels i call for help and they asked to disconect the box and wait 45minutes then i still missing channels two o three day after all chanels come back

error code S0a00 how much longer will this happen

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Missing chanels continus get error code S0a00

This could be caused by a weak signal, which can affect only certain channels. Check the connections to the cable box, especially the incoming coax, and eliminate any unnecessary splitters.

To check signal strength with a Motorola box, tune to the offending channel, turn off the box with the remote, then within two seconds hit "OK/Select." This will bring up the diagnostics screen. Select "Inband Status" (probably page d04) and look for "SNR" for the tuner(s). This value should be in the mid to upper 30s. You may be able to improve the signal strength by adding a signal amplifier to the incoming cable line.

It also may be a weak signal caused by problems outside your house, in which case a call to 1-800-COMCAST to have them send out a tech to check on it may be of benefit.

Contributor

I have that exact problem with a new digital box. Some channels come in clear and I get the message in others. It is random on several channels, some are affected and some are not. Signal SNR is strong. Three reps have promised me they got it fixed and of course they did not. Would an old analog trap on the pole line matter? It is still there.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

ticatwo wrote:

I have that exact problem with a new digital box. Some channels come in clear and I get the message in others. It is random on several channels, some are affected and some are not. Signal SNR is strong. Three reps have promised me they got it fixed and of course they did not. Would an old analog trap on the pole line matter? It is still there.

Do you only have the one digital box?  If you still have a trap on the tap, then yes, it would be blocking part of the band of frequencies and cause your error message.

Please call Comcast back and insisit on a tech visit for him to correct the issue which is probably the trap.

Did you upgrade from another level of service?

Contributor

Yes I did upgrade from analog b/c of a transition to digital. They have to know the trap is on there. I told all two CSR's in the chats. One box and two DTAs. No one seemed interested in the trap being on there.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

I've contacted the Comcast Corp team about the trap.

Expect some contact next week about it either from the team or someone local.

Contributor

I work for a business that depends on customer service to survive.

Suggestion: When you issue and provision boxes to new customers transitioning from analog - just tell them they will get full service after the trap is removed. No one told me that. I spent hours chatting with online techs. A big waste of mine and their time. If someone would take a second to say "it may be just a day or two before you get full service until we pull the trap." Not that hard to do. That's all you need to do.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Most analog subscribers don't have a trap on their line, so it is not an issue for most.  You individual situaion of still having a trap on the line is extremely rare.

Remember, you are not speaking to Comcast employees on this forum unless a employee with their name identified in red responds.

The online CSR's are not tech's and are not too technical.

Contributor
Ridered

I have been having major "ref code S0a00" issues as well but only with a "regular digital" box in one room.  I would turn it on and have no channels, then I would call in for a refresh signal then some channels would come back, some wouldn't (I am paying for the channels I am not getting), later in the day I would turn the t.v. back on and would experience the same issue - sometimes they were the same channels I had issues with earlier that day then at other times they would be different channels.  

I can't begin to tell you how many times I called in, used Live Chat, exchanged the digital box (not HD, nor the DTA - haven't had any issues with either) since the issue has not be resolved a rep is scheduled to come out to my house tomorrow.  

I have read that it was due to the cold weather, I live in Florida and when I commented on the weather a snooty little Comcast Rep pointed out (not Jalynalg - he/she seems to be pretty good) that it isn't always 80 and it rains a lot - hmm, I have lived in the same place 13 years, had Comcast for 13 years - never had this issue until recently - nope, don't believe it is the weather.....

I have been told that it was a cable coming into the house - again I am only having issues with one television - then I was told it must be that one connection........  It just didn't make sense so last night I disconnected the digital box and replaced it with a DTA - I have not had one single issue since hooking up the DTA with losing channels.  Of course I can't get the channels that I was suppose to receive with the "digital box" but at least I have a picture AND it isn't cutting in and out, stalling, etc.

You might try switching your box out with a DTA unit to see what happens - it may not be the best fix but I certainly would be interested to see if you stop receiving the error code. 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Missing channels continuous get error code S0a00

Set top boxes can and will fail.  Fittings can loosen / corrode and get wet at any point along the coax.  Coax going to the outlets can have staple holes or damage in them allowing moisture in the coax.   Coax jumpers loosen and fail too.  The copper clad center conductor & the aluminum shield can corrode.  Slight temp variations & moisture / humidity can affect marginal fittings.  Any of these can cause signal issues.  Squirrels love to chew up drop cables.

Without putting a SLM on the line to see what the signals are doing, and seeing the actual fittings, splitters and cabling, I can only do educated guesses on what I've come across from 42 years of coaxial cable installations and troubleshooting.

The coax system needs to be tight and sealed at all points, like the plumbing in the house.  The splitters and ground block need to be clean and corrosion free.  13 year old coaxial fittings should be inspected closely and if they are not compression fittings, should be replaced especially if they are outside.

New Visitor
ast269

We have been having this probelm for 4 days now. Nothing will show on the tv other then the error message and the internet has been out also. We have done all the steps they say to do to get it back working and nothing. A tech was set up to come to our house between 5 and 8 pm yesterday and at 805 we get a call saying some one forgot to give it to a tech... How nice. So they are to send some one out today to look at it. (Another day some one has to leave work early again and lose out on pay) Keep in mind we had some one out 2 weeks ago for the same thing. Both times when the cable and internet went out the auto message said "there is a problem in your area" but when we call later there is no message saying that AND all reps I talk to say "Well I show there was never any problems in your area so I dont know why it said that"

We have this issue every spring since 2005 (yes I have talk to cs about it and all they can say is sorry) for about 2 to 4 months and then things are fine till the next spring. (again all things we have talked/emailed/chated with cs and techs with) And the only thing they say will help is to pay to have our lines replaced AGAIN (had it done in 2004 when we moved in and had it done again in 2007)  Oh and may times when we ask if we could get a credit for the days we were out 80% of the time we are told No because unless it is out for more then 10 days they can not credit us.

We have been stuck with comcast as they have been the only one in our area untill this year we now have AT&T in the area maybe it is time to switch.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Bronze Star Contributor

Also you Cabe should be plug into into HDMI1 not Commpoent 1.

Visitor

[ Edited ]

Just because your SNR shows that its in the acceptable range of 25 to 40 does not really mean a whole lot, and that acceptable refers to the Up stream SNR of the individual Modem. YOu also have to take into account the Up stream SNR of the channel average and even if thats good, your s0a00 error could be effected by downstream or upstream receive power. There are a lot of variables. Your 2 best options are:

1. If the problem is intermittant, when it happens call comcast and request to speak to someone who can see the levels remotely. This way they can catch the issue as it happens and not get a 'Thumbs Up' on a week later truck roll

2. get a technician out and when the tech is out there, ask to view his Home Cert test, which has to be done after ever customer visit. ALthough this may not be to valid, if the problem is not happening at the time the cert is done. (hence the option for number one, to check levels remotely)

Administrator
ComcastLarry

We understand your frustration and would like to help you resolve this issue, but this Help Forum has guidelines and rules that everyone has to follow. Your username has been brought to my attention and has to be change immediately. If you would like to reach out to me please send me a Private Message so we may discuss this further.

3. Post inappropriate images, usernames, profiles, signature lines, and avatars

Posts containing images with inappropriate or inflammatory content will be removed. This may include photos that are on-topic and/or of historical significance, i.e., gory photos of lynching's, war battles, etc.. Images containing nudity (real or drawn) are also not permitted and may result in the loss of posting privileges. Also, inappropriate usernames, member profiles, signature lines, or avatars may result in removal, warnings, and bans

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
Visitor

Private message sent
New Visitor
1tarab

i've just been told that alot of the customers were receiving channels that we shouldnt have been getting. so they're just cutting it off.

New Visitor
BeyondCommTech

The post above that was made: 07-22-2011 08:37 AM  was pretty much spot on...

1tarab- im not sure thats entirely true, since I have gone through this same issue and I am a current

employee that subscribes to all the channels.

New Visitor
Mick-Jagger

[ Edited ]

Go to Amazon.com and buy this $32 signal booster:

"4 Port Cable TV/HDTV/Digital Amplifier Internet Modem Signel Booster Internet Amp."

This will cure your problems without the hassle of a service call.

Use a 75 ohm resistor cap on any unused terminals.

Your internet modum cable should probably not be amplified as it may not work.

But some have reported that their modum does works with the boosted signal. 

I use a two way splitter before the signal booster with an un-boosted signal going to my modum. 

This signal booster eliminated all pixelization, audio problems, black screens and comcast error s0a00 codes on three HDTVs.

New Visitor
bierhere

We had the same problem after a power outage.  The problem was the box itself.  After dealing with comcast over the phone, and them sending singals and resetting the box, I finally just went and exchanged the box, and the problem was solved.