Contributor
keith1997
Accepted Solution

Missing clear QAM 'Network Broadcast' HD channels in Mount Laurel, NJ 08054

Hello,

I am a Limited Basic Comcast subscriber without needing Comcast 'Cable box' in zip 08054

Prior of this past Wednesday everything was working perfectly with my 3 TVs (clear QAM tuner) and my Windows 7 Media Center with 2 clear QAM tuners for recording 'Network Broadcast' HD channels.

Started this past Wednesday I noticed my clear QAM TVs no longer able to display 'Network Broadcast' HD channels (3-1 for CBS HD, 6-1 for ABC HD, 10-1 for NBC HD, 12-1 for WHYY-HD, 29-1 for FOX-HD...etc)

I did the re-scan and all channels came back, BUT none of the 'Network Broadcast' HD channels (3-1 for CBS HD, 6-1 for ABC HD, 10-1 for NBC HD, 12-1 for WHYY-HD, 29-1 for FOX-HD...etc) have signal and jus a blank screen.

I did the re-scan on my Windows 7 Media Center, and all the 'Network Broadcast' HD channels are no longer there.

I did a re-scan for both the TVs and Windows 7 Media Center PC this morning, still missing the 'Network Broadcast' HD channels.

I know by FCC mandate Comcast have to transmit 'Network Broadcast' HD channels, that's the reason I am a Limited Basic subscriber because all I watch are 'Network Broadcast' HD channels

I am not sure if Comcast started their 'Digital Migration' in my area or not...from reading the Comcast forums, it seen that during the 'Digital Migration' process, it might effect clear QAM 'Network Broadcast' HD channels to be missing.

Friend of mine that live in the same 08054 zip code is going throught the same issue with missing clear QAM 'Network Broadcast' HD channels on his TVs and Windows 7 Media Center.

I guess I will call Comcast and see if the CSR know what I will try to say to them about this issue :smileysad:

Contributor
keith1997

Re: Missing clear QAM 'Network Broadcast' HD channels in NJ 08054

Just called Comcast and mentioned the issue with Missing clear QAM 'Network Broadcast' HD channels

I mentioned per FCC mandate Comcast need to provide 'Network Broadcast' HD channels as part of Limited Basic, as long as the TV user have aTV with clear QAM tuner, the user will be able to receive and view the HD channels.

The CSR replied that FCC only mandated for Comcast to transmit 'Analog Network Broadcast' channels, NOT HD.....and you will need to rent a digigal HD cable box for each of your HDTV to view 'Network Broadcast' HD channels

I hate Comcast...i will wait another couple more days to see if the issue will resolve itself, if not, good bye Comcast

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

I know in Minnesota with Limited Basic you would be entitled to receive the local HD programming but won't work without the HD box from Comcast. Also next time you talk to a CSR remind them that the "analog" broadcasts are digital since last June. They have the old paperwork for telling people about the migration and the mindset is that OTA programming is still analog.

Did you ask if they knew anything about the digital migration for your area?

Contributor
keith1997

yes, the first question out of my mouth was "is Comcast performing digital migration in my area?" and her answer was no.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Could mean they are done. CSRs may not have the most up to date information on that. What system, or headend, are you on? I remember reading another forum thread where a guy in GA/Fl area had the same issue after the digital migration. He also tried a rescan. I am on Limited Basic here and can get some of the extra digital channels at present for a couple of stations. One I think is the HD channel. It will be interesting to see if that goes away at the end of the month.

The one tv hooked up to the STB; for some extra channels we are entitled to plus the Adult PPV(rah), doesn't receive them directly. It is a Standard Def STB.

Sorry I don't have more help at this time. If I run across something I will post here.

Contributor
keith1997

What do you mean by system or headend?

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

I live in rural Minnesota and our system is consider Minneapolis area. The headend is where the signal originates for your area. It might say something on your bill like Garden State Comcast or something like that. Your zip code is the Mount Laurel area of New Jersey. On the Comcast tv schedule page that zip comes up Cherry Hill for one choice for program listings.

I was doing some research on DSLReports.com and it looks like your area may have gone through the digital migration already. If you have a local office number it might be worth calling them and ask if the digital migration is complete for your area. They may be able to answer your question about getting local OTA HD channels over the cable. One option.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Here's how I would troubleshoot your tuner issues.

First, for now, skip trying to get it to work in Windows Media Center.  We need to get it to work with the simple tuner program that should have come with your clear QAM tuner.  As an example, many Hauppauge tuners have the WinTV app that will scan, tune and display any clear channels available on the coax.  Silicon Dust's HDhomerun tuner has a similar program.  These programs will tune in any channels with or without the PSIP data.  The PSIP data is passed down from the network channels to display the channel your tuned into as the simple easy to remember channel number your used to.  When you tune in a channel without any PSIP data, then it will show up as the main and sub digital RF channel, as an example ch 113-11, 94-3, 121-6 etc.

You should be able to tune in both SD and HD versions of your network channels plus some PEG and shopping channels.  Most of the time the PSIP data would be carried on the channels, but certainly not always guaranted.  As an example, if WKYW DT is on qam 82-2, and has the PSIP data, it would show up as ch 3.1, if there is no PSIP data, it would show up as ch 82.2.  Same thing with WHYY DT, it might be carried on QAM 82-1, and PSIP would be 12.1, no PSIP data it would be at 82.1. 

You certainly should still be able to tune in all clear QAM SD & HD local network channels with the app for your tuner.  If you can't tune in all, some or none of these channels, then something else is going on with your signal, either old / bad splitters that don't carry enough bandwidth to cover all the frequencies of a modern digital cable system.  All  splitters, drop amps and related passives must cover 5-1000 mhz.  There might be traps on your line blocking some or most of the frequencies that these channels are carried on.  These clear QAM channels might have been recently moved to the part of the band that trap is blocking out.  You would see this more on subscribers with only limited basic or limited basic & HSI service.  Subscribers with digital TV service and a digtal set top box would not see these channels blocked, it only becomes an issue for limited basic subs.

Once you know that the channels can be tuned in with these tuner apps, then you should be able to setup Windows Media Center with these channels available.  If rerunning  the TV setup for Media Center doesn't get you any or all channels, then some users have to add these channels manually.  Enter in the real clear QAM channel such as 82-2 and then add the call letters of the station, in the wizard to add channels manually  These call letters you enter must match the call letters that show up on the Media Center guide download.  Otherwise the guide can't match the guide info with the channel.

Also make sure you download and use the latest tuner app for your tuner, and it will also include the latest drivers and firmware for the tuner.  These should always be kept up to date.

I have it from good authority that the digital SD and HD network channels will stay available clear QAM, if they are not, it usually is some kind of RF issue, and not because Comcast is blocking them, which they are not.

Contributor
keith1997

Thank you so much JaylnAIg!!!

Followed your instruction and conclued that instead I can see the local HD stations via HDHomerun's clients.

Took the better part of the morning to figure out how to manually add the missing local HD channels back into Media Center.  Everything is working now for the Media Center and able to record the local HD channels.

Still need to figure out why my 3 and 4 years old Vizio HDTV with clear QAM tuner still cannot see the local HD channels after re-scanning......

Thanks again!

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

keith

Glad you got your WMC going.  I can only guess that the PSIP data is maybe missing causing these issues. 

On the Vizio's, the only other thing I can say to try is disconnect the coax on the TV, run another scan, then reconnect the coax and scan again.   I don't have hand's on with Vizio, but I have seen some LG's that need to be scanned twice, once for analog, and repeat for the digital channels.

If you do get the Vizio's going, please post back if they show up with the "friendly" channel numbers such as 6.1 12.1 etc (PSIP data received) or the true RF digital channel such as 82-1 82-2 etc.