New Visitor
bwooffitt

Missing local digital channels (SF Bay Area)

As of Jan 23rd we are unable to get the majority of the local digitial channels.

We lost Fox (ch 2.1), CBS (5.1), ABC (7.1) and PBS (9.1). We still get NBC (11.1) which conicidently is owned by Comcast.

We are in zip 94061 (SF Bay Area) and dont use a digital box.

Anyone else experience this?

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

Re: Missing local digital channels (SF Bay Area)

I used to do that but got a fancy package at some point and an hd box.  Try rescanning the QAM channels move around a lot.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Comcast at times moves the frequencies around requiring a re-scan of the tv. Have you tried a re-scan yet?

In future Comcast may encyrpt all tiers of service in all markets which would require a box. Just a heads up.

New Visitor
bwooffitt

Did a rescan and they have all dropped off. We still get HD versions of NBC and WGN but thats about it.

New Visitor
bugsjags

How to do a rescan?

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

[ Edited ]

bugsjags

It varies by tv make. Usint the tv remote go to the tv menu.

Usually in the tv menu is a setting for Channels. Under that should be some area marked Set Channels automatically or something similar. Select that

If you have the tv manual there should be some instructions in there. Otherwise post the make and model of your tv.

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

You can see what other people see on this page http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/lineup_web/US:94301#lineup_8966708  This is a lineup from Palo Alto.  Seems to have very few channels in clear QAM. As somebody said, the cable companies have got a waiver to encrypt even local broadcast tv.

A few years ago they got a waiver to have non cablecard fixed key security for the DTA, and standard/extended basic was encrypted.  Now they have a waiver to encrypt broadcast tv.

In that case if you want to get your local TV you need to rent a box, and for HD, pay extra for an HD box.

If you only like broadcast TV and you have a decent signal, you can buy an antenna and use it to get OTA.  There is lots of OTA signal around here.  But I kind of like all the HD cable channels, so I'm willing to pay for the HD box and package.

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

You can put your zip code and see what others see in clear QAM, or via an antenna  http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/

New Visitor
bwooffitt

Thanks for the links. It looks like Comcast turned something on/off on Jan 23rd in my area resulting in the local channels no longer being available.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

comcast is encrypting all channels your going to need a box.

Regular Contributor

Missing some channels in San Francisco

It's been a few days now, the effected channels include ABC, PBS, KTSF. These are for the digital channels 7-1, 9-1, and 26-1, respectively. I'm sure there are other channels, but I'm aware exactly which ones.

The channels are missing when watching from my TV that has a digital tuner. Channels from the cable box works fine though.

New Visitor
dizzyS

Re: Missing some channels in San Francisco

I found KTSF 26.1 after a rescan. It is now at 18.8. Do not know why it happens to my expensive new LG tv. My cheap vizio TV still pick up from the same source with 26.1.

I believe there is something to do with the TV tunner. 

My KTSF is back. My parents will be so happy.

Contributor
TCheung

I have no box.  Recently I found that my DVRs can't get KTSF26.1.  All my TVs can.  Also my DVRs

can't get NBC as well, but can get CBS, ABC, etc.  Does anyone know why?  Thanks.  I tried changing

cables, re-scan many times.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

TCheung,

What models DVRs do you have?

Contributor
TCheung

Commanguy, I have 2 Panasonic DVRs.  Don't remember their models at the moment.  These worked fine until 2 weeks ago.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

It could be that the channels you are missing in a frequency range those Panasonic tuners can't get. It may require a box of some sort to get those channels back.

Do you know if they have ClearQAM tuners?

A while back I lost some of the channels on my Panasonic DVD Recorder and two months ago no matter how many times I would rescan I would only get the analog feeds on my Limited Basic tier.

It may be that these units need QAM tuners, mine has a ATSC tuner. But I think that type of tuner is more for Over the Air broadcasts.

Contributor
TCheung

I found the model for my Panasonic DVRs:

1. Model DMR-EZ28

2. Model DMR-EZ485V or DMR-EZ48V

I haven't found out what tuners are on these yet.  I'll research some more.  I would guess it might be

related to tuners also.   But do you think Comcast changed something, or these Over the Air broadcast

stations (NBC and KTSF26.1) changed something?  If it is tuner issues I am willing to get a new DVR

anyway, as I may prefer a new DVR with hard drive since the 2 above are using writable DVDs.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

It looks like both of those have analog tuners for certain.

This is from the manual for the DMR-EZ48V

TV system: NTSC system, 525 lines, 60 fi elds

Antenna reception input:

Analog TV Channel: 2 ch to 69 ch

Analog CATV Channel: 1 ch to 135 ch

Digital TV Channel: 2 ch to 69 ch

Digital CATV Channel: 1 ch to 135 ch

The specs are the same for DMR-EZ28. It looks like the 48V doesn't have a hard drive, just a VCR/DVD combo.

So if you are losing channels it could be time for either a box feeding these units or going the DVR route.

New Visitor
crudeink

I came home on Tuesday and found that channels 2 (KTVU) and 5 (KPIX) were completely black. When I rescanned, those channels completely disappeared. I have rescanned a couple more times since Tuesday with the same result. I have Limited Basic with a Vizio TV using Clear QAM.

I checked those channels on my HTPC. Channel 5 is still there, but channel 2 is now the same as channel 5.

Is anyone else having a similar issue? I suspect this have something to do with the recent spped upgrade.

Thank you.

Contributor
TCheung

[ Edited ]

I am sure they are digital tuners.  Here is one of many descriptions I can find online for EZ28:

Factory description ■Upconvert DVD Recorder with Digital Tuner ■1080p Up-Conversion ■HDMI Simple Connection ■VIERALink™ SD Memory Card Slot ■USB Terminal and Super Multi-Format Recording & Playback

I saw that EZ48V has an ATSC tuner.  Isn't ATSC tuner a digital tuner?

Now all channels are digital in my area since around last September.  The digital channels have

dash in them:  Fox (2-1), CBS (5-1),  ABC(7-1), NBC(11-1), and KTSF(26-1). 

BTW, I saw somewhere some DVRs could pick up channels from non-standard lineup.  So I went thru

all received channels on my DVRs and found NBC at a strange channel in the 200's.  The TVs still

have it at 11-1.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

The ATSC tuners are digital, mainly work for over the air signals.

I have one in my Panasonic DVD/VCR unit and last time I tried it  with the Comcast feed it only got the local channels. The higher digital channels for our area were not coming in on that unit.

New Visitor
SF_feedme

I live in the Haight and am missing 2, 5 and 36 as well.

Contributor
TCheung

[ Edited ]

The more I researched into this, the more I think comcast is making and will be making big changes.  More will come later.

The first hint came when I had some major signal issues a few weeks ago.  The guy on the phone tried to sell me some upgrades, and I mentioned that one major reason I won't get any upgrades is that I hate the cable boxes.  He told me that people need them, and when I said I never needed them, he said soon I will.  He said "believe me, they will soon be needed.  You'll see".

When I was shopping for a new DVR with HDD, I also found that DVRs that allows you to watch a live TV show while recorders typically support more than one type of tuners.  For example, one said "NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuners".  So maybe just ATSC is not enough now.  TVs probably have multiple ones as well, which is why the difference I see between my TVs and my current DVRs.  Comcast maybe experimenting with different formats.  I suspect the major reason maybe due to the following comments I saw from a reviewer for the DVR with mulltiple tuners.  He said the multiple tuners are nice, but may soon be useless.  The reason is due to the new law pass last year, which will allow the cable providers to scramble all channels, including the basic ones.  So that maybe the reason things are changing now, like the missing channels.  They may not be scrambled yet, but formats are changing.

Contributor

All channels are now encrypted in the bay area.

go read this forum thread: 

Comcast Help and Support Forums -> Xfinity TV -> Service and Equipment -> scrambled signals?

You can find relief with an HD antenna.

•