New Visitor
cdollar

Not receiving all our channels

Starting sometime on Tuesday, we are no longer receiving all our channels.  We began seeing a "not authorized" message on TNT, ABC Family, BBC America and other channels that we have been receiving for the past 3 years.  Some of these are channels that should be received at all subscription levels, from the list I looked at.

My husband called Comcast and got trapped in the automated messages.  It was supposed to send a reset signal to our box.  At that point, the channels that had been showing as "not authorized" completely disappeared from our guide.

SO.....he called again and managed to get to a real live (but apparently clueless) person.  She told us to unplug the box for 30 seconds and then wait 30 mins to turn it on.  We did that and absolutely nothing happened.

Anyone else experiencing this?  Anyone know what to do?

New Visitor
jerrybel

Re: Not receiving all our channels

[ Edited ]

I'm having the same issue. I lost 31 channels. It has been 8 days and still not resolved. Spent right at an hour everytime I called support. First time I call I went through 4 so call service techs and not a one could resolve the issue. I purchase an antenna and get more channels than I get from comcast and in HD and is free. I am canceling my service with comcast.

New Visitor

Same exact issue and when I call they keep telling me I shouldn't get them. I have a letter and a list line up for our area and we do get them with our package and they just keep giving me the run around and say its something Im doing, it totally stinks! Im ready to just cancel

New Visitor
jerrybel

[ Edited ]

Do like i did and go to amazon and order a Lava hd2605 ultra g3 antenna. i get 42 channels now vs 9 of the 40 channels i was getting with comcast.

New Visitor
jerrybel

You can go to tvlistings.aol.com and get a list of all over air channels in your area.

New Visitor
Susie6038

We have been having same issue for about 2 weeks now but only on 1 set. Called once and they sent the reset signal but did nothing. Dreading calling again.

New Visitor
KandiT

Having this same problem....dreading calling them as I did 2 weeks ago for another issue..3 times..on hold all 3 times for 40+ minutes and ended up hanging up all 3 times.   HOW do we contact them about this problem other than calling?  It's so frustrating paying for things when they don't work.

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

Call Comcast and demand credit for all days you do not receive all the channels you are entitled to.

Contributor

Having same problem. We've been receiving all of the channels (HD and regular). Once again, AXSTV, PLDHD and UHD are out as is VH1CL, and Boomerang (not HD). I'm sure there are some I haven't tried yet. We go over same procedure (unplug, wait, plug back in). Called Comcast tonight and and automated voice (once again) informed me they were expereincing problems in our area. This is gettting old.

New Visitor
a_bashful1

I'm another with the same issue.  I have not checked the channels previous posters have mentioned.  I tend to spend most of my time on the premium movie channels, Scify, and Comedy Central (which were all fine until last night). Now all the TMC channels are locked and every time I go into On Demand I have to unlock it.  Making it even more interesting, the support chat isn't working. 

I called customer support last night and asked them to look into it.  They were able to look into my account and see that I should have the TMC channels in my lineup but when they went to try a reset they said that their system was down. (Isn't that the same system they used less than a minute before to verify my account??)

Anyway, its 12 hours later, I am still missing the TMC channels, Infinity Chat is still down, and I am getting pretty ticked.

New Visitor
IMHO

What kind of antennae did you get?

Visitor

yes we lost over 40 channels and yes we now get the unauthorized statement on the screen. I was told we won't get them anymore because they were being transferred to digital. Nevertheless, the price stays the same and we'll probably be cancelling Comcast soon.

New Visitor
IMHO

Comcast has changed their lineup without notifying customers of doing this. They have taken away all those channels and now if you want them back, you have to upgrade to the next package, and that is double the price.

Robbery !!  I'm done with Comcast.

Visitor

go to http://www.in.gov/iurc/2331.htm and make a complaint if you are an IN resident if not then I am sure they have a similar regulatory agency in other States. By law in IN they have to give you 30 day notice.

New Visitor
cnwa

Jerrybel,

My wife complained about losing National Geographic Channel (109) among others over the last few months.  Today, we talked to customer service, who indicated we should be receiving it as part of the Digital Preferred Tier.  He initiated a reset--not effective.  He suggested powering down the settop box--no net change, other than that information on current and upcoming programs became empty due to the reset.  The channel unavailability is evidenced by a popup that states "One moment please. This channel should be available shortly. Ref code s0a00."

I tallied the number of missing channels:  31 in all. That matches your number. I aim to get to the bottom of this by contacting support.  I think I will also pursue a billing adjustment.

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

Ref code s0a00 means you have a signal problem. You will not get all your channels until you get that fixed.

Check your connections, if you see nothing call for service.

Visitor

Great idea I'll call for service. Thanks hope it works

New Visitor
cnwa

In pursuing the missing channels problem, I revisited the list of missing channels to see if anything had changed since yesterday.  Content from two of the channels were now there, but the remainder were still not coming up.

One of the two channels was showing weak signal, it was breaking up slightly, but consistently.  I decided to swap out the connecting cable from the outlet to the set top box with a high quality replacement. The missing channels appeared, and the breaking up disappeared!! So all of those "missing" channels, all of which are digital signals, were attenuated sufficiently by the old connecting cable to fall below an operating threshold.

So in my case, the problem is solved!  However this  points out that Comcast does not distribute all channels at the same signal levels, because the vast majority of channels were available with no apparent issues.

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

I did post that you had a signal problem.

Visitor

Barbie,

Should I go and get a new cable box before I have someone come out and check my connections?

New Visitor

[ Edited ]

For the last 3 or 4 days now I've been getting the same "not authorized" message as you on my Tivo with cablecard. I lost all channels except for NBC, CBS, ABC and PBS...everything else says "not authorized", call your cable provider and then the code (V58). I've heard that Comcast was going to be moving all channels away from Analog and is moving everything to a Digital signal and now requiring a  cable box, but I should still be receiving the missing channels since I've always had the digital starter with On Demand package. I've reset everything and disconnected / reconnected all cables to no avail. I still haven't made the dreaded call to Comcast yet, but I will soon.

The strange thing is that I have another TV with Comcast cablebox and it still gets all channels that my Tivo with cablecard doesn't.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

j2burles

Your cablecard may need to be re-paired. If they removed the digital signals something may have gotten messed up in the transition.

Call this number for the Cablecard line and see what they can do for you

877-405-2298

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

tybeedreaming: Don't do anything until a tech comes and checks things out.

Contributor

I previously posted about similar problem (some HD channels and non-HD channels displayed message "Will be available shortly"). Well, thankfully, my problem was solved. After checking everything from my end I explained the problem (via phone). The Comcast/XFinity operator confirmed my earlier tries and a Comcast repairman came to the house. He used the remote to view a the signal strength and noted it was weak. He went outside and determined there was a some sort of break in the cable between the house and main cable. Two very large dogs are in the yard behind us. He explained the cable emits high frequencies heard by dogs. The chances were good that one of the dogs had managed to sink his teeth in the cable. He said it's a frequent problem. He hooked up a new cable from the house to the main cable (either placed it in the ground deeper or, perhaps the new cable is more insulated). Problem solved. We're once again receiving NBCSP (649), AXSHD (673), PLDHD (674), UHD (675) and the other non-HD channels. Problem solved.

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

I don't doubt that replacing a bad underground cable fixed your problem.

I do doubt the the cables emit high frequencies that makes dogs bite them.

Anyone else have any data on that?

Connection Expert
EG

Not likely. The frequencies on the cable are in the electromagnetic RF spectrum and not the audible or ultrasonic spectrum. Besides, the cables and fittings are normally shielded if there is no defect.

Contributor

Oh, I agree. I assumed their cables were shielded. It's not unlike the "hum" experienced by electric guitar in days past. The unshelded wiring was subject to electrical signals from an increasing number of electrical appliances. Guitar manufacturers addressed most of those problems via a certain type of pick-up (Humbucker) or increased shielding of the wiring and the compartment of the guitar. We all know dogs can hear higher frequencies but, even if dogs were drawn to emissions from the cable, we'd have heard of it long before now. Also, had they not been shielded, the biggest issue probably would've probably been due to interference. The cable companies would've addressed it long ago (shielding). Perhaps the neighbor behind us accidently hit the cable without severing it. It could be a number of things. I was merely repeating what the cable guy said. Since it worked, I wasn't about to question his reasoning. But, he did say he went out on calls everyday in which a dog had chewed on the cable (probably the cables coming out of the ground, into the house).

Contributor

I doubt it as well. But, since replacing the cable worked, I wasn't going to argue the cause. We'd have heard of that problem long ago.. I'm sure those cables are heavily shielded to protect against interference from a variety of sources. As I explaied to another respondent, electric guitars faced an increasing problem with "hum", caused by emissions from the growing number of electrical appliances. They resolved it (for the most part) with redesigned pick-ups (humbuckers) or shielding of the wires, pick-ups, compartment, etc. Perhaps some dogs chew on the cable where it leaves the ground and enters the house but, not because of a high frequency emission. I merely reiterated what the cable guy said. Perhaps the someone accidently hit the cable with a garden tool without actually severing the entire cable. Who knows? The original cable was installed long ago (by Time-Warner).

Connection Expert
EG

FWIW, Squirrel / rodent chews are far more prevalent of an issue with coax cable.

Contributor

Now "that" is something that I hadn't thought of, but "now" seems much more likely explanation, given their penchant for chewing through anything/everything.

New Visitor
New Visitor
cvo

I received a letter recently that said I had not been charged for the services I was getting.  On 6/14 they cut off alll of my channels except for the limited service.  I called to complain and they gave me back my channels but now they have removed my DVR service?

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

cvo

The forums are mainly a customer to customer help forum. It is not a direct line to the Comcast help desk. No Billing Reps or Customer Service Reps read the forums at all, most are not even aware of the existence of the forums.

Send an e-mail to this address

We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

Include:

full name

service address

phone number

account number

link to this thread

full details of the problems

New Visitor
joujou3

spoke online chat with customer service rep and according to him he says that it will be an additional 

30.00 per month for an upgrade to the "digital starter package" as the basic package is no longer offering these channels. WOW.  seems the antenna  idea in the other postings might be a better idea

New Visitor
NotTheGeeks

tell the advanced tech support person that you are on the wrong downstream. I just resolved the same issue very easily. Good Luck!