Contributor
JDKHsi

Premium Channels Sho, HBO, Cinemax, disappearing

I subscribe to all premium channels but The Movie Channel, and I just got a letter in the mail that comcast is dropping all of the Cinemax HD's, HBO HD's and some standard def Showtimes and HBo channels. The whole reason I had comcast was because of the excelelnt selection of channels on the premium block.

Now this is disappearing in my area Im going ot have to downgrade this is absolutely ridiculous and I cant beleive almost 14 channels total are disappearing from my lineup but my price isnt going down. Comcast is claming that new other HD channels will start appearing in there place. This is 2012 not 2002 since when do we have to delete channels to make room for others, if anything comcast should be expanding there network not cutting back and mixing and matching channels around with such short notice. I really thinking about jumping ship and going to U-verse because comcast service has been awful in general with pixelation low signal and now alot less HD premium channels 

Comcast. Fail.

F-

Contributor
JDKHsi

Re: Premium Channels Sho, HBO, Cinemax, disappearing

I'd also like to add that Im losing a total of 15 channels in total some HD overlap. I really wonder if my bill should reflect these changes since its such a substantial loss in channels, especially since ATT u-verse and directv in my area offer all of these channels. I really feel comcast is making a big mistake and Im seriously considering my options

Recognized Contributor
Jcato77

Re: Premium Channels Sho, HBO, Cinemax, disappearing

You'll have to read some of the other threads around this, they are doing it for various reasons.  Mostly to reclaim bandwidth to offer other HD channels such as BBCA, FSC, GOLTV, Sprout, GSN and others in HD that currently aren't their.

They off-set this by saying that the Preimum HD content you watched on those channels is now "On-Demand" which a good portion of it is.  You also get access to the content through the HBO Go app if you use that as well.

I'll tell you it was a struggle for me as I had just signed up with Comcast again after a 2 year absence with DirecTV.  I've had U-Verse and I can tell you I was less impressed with it than I am now with Comcast.  I miss the DirecTV HD guide and other features.  I'm a sports fan so it's a bit different for me, as Comcast has the new Pac-12 network where as DirecTV does not.

Sadly these vendors have to be All things to everyone since we don't have things like Ala'carte programing options where we can pay for single channels or whole packages.  Comcast continues to avoid technology upgrades such as Switched Digitial where they can offer way more channels in a less compressed format because they have invested in older technologies from the start.  The Digital transition hasn't really done much for them expect to make more customers unhappy with the need for a box on every TV now.

Don't be surprised to see the other carriers do what Comcast did with the premium channels when the time comes to add more HD channels vs. # of channels.  I never really watched all 8 of the HBO channels and am content if I can find it on "On Demand" now.