Recognized Contributor

QAM channels correlated with cable box channels?

Is there any information available on the website somewhere that gives the translations from the channel numbers the cable box uses to the QAM tuner channels numbers a TV will find when scanning a direct cable connection for unencrypted channels? You can sort of figure it out by observing the channels, but it would be faster and more convenient if there were a translation table provided somewhere. Just curious.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: QAM channels correlated with cable box channels?

You might find out what the clear QAM channels are on by going to this SITE which might or might not be accurate, as it depends on subscribers to report their channel lineups.  There is no other public database of qam to channel transistions.

These clear QAM channels do get moved around from time to time without notification, and so you should be aware if you lose channels, a rescan is needed. 

Recognized Contributor

Im on limited basic and use qam tuner to watch comcast. 

I found it depends where channels fall depending on if you tune behind a splitter or not.   If I plug it straight to the wall and tune I get sensical channels like it used to be (the channel w/ -1-5 behing it) if I tune behind a splitter (the one that goes to my modem or dvd rec)  I get non sensical numbers for my channels especially hd ones.

If you tune direct from wall line then re hook it it may hold them, mine does.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

A approved splitter will not change how the clear QAM tunes on any equipment, it it does, there are other signal issues going on at the residence that need to be addressed by a professional.

Bronze Star Contributor
grday

[ Edited ]

It is not totally accurate.    To improve results.  Make sure you use the zip code, where your bill comes from. For My area.   My uncles bill comes from Anderson, Indiana.   So  I used Anderson, Indiana zip code.   It list some of the Qam channels my uncle gets & some my uncle does not get.   There are some other chanel my uncle gets that are not listed.   He has a Qam tv.  

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

grday wrote:

It is not totally accurate.    To improve results.  Make sure you use the zip code, where your bill comes from. For My area.   My uncles bill comes from Anderson, Indiana.   So  I used Anderson, Indiana zip code.   It list some of the Qam channels my uncle gets & some uncle does not get.   There are some my uncle gets that are not listed either.   He has a Qam tv.  

I posted that it might or might not be accurate as it depends on people using their tuners to report  the local channel lineup.  Certainly their tuners are not used in every town or cable system, so you take it with what it's worth, and in many area's that's not much.  It certainly would be more accurate in larger systems, but it's far from 100%.

Bronze Star Contributor
grday

JayInAlg,  I knew you told him that.    Unless the OP lives in the same town that he receives his bill.  I found that site to be a little more accuarte, when you enter the zip code where your bill comes from.   Nothing against you at all JayInAlg and I thought qam tvs convert it to the actual over the air virtual channel, not sure though---I don't own one.   I wish I did.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

The newer QAM TV's will read and tune in the PSIP data that is often carried on the local network channels, giving the sub the friendly channel numbers.

Older QAM TV's can't read the PSIP data, and will tune in and indicate the actual digital QAM RF primary / sub channel.

Recognized Contributor

thanks Jay...could you repost approved splitters and any ideas where to locate them?  Thanks :smileyhappy:

I only have one I used but Im fairly sure it was a comcast one, the other is for modem.