Regular Contributor
Accepted Solution

Question about free movies

I have Comcast Digital Starter which until today allowed me to get some free movies from  Movieplex,TCM,FX etc Today I went to watch a movie which  I thought was in the free Movie category on TCM but  instead of listing it as free it now says free with subscription I thought  perhaps it was just  TCM but I tried  Movieplex  and FX and they were the same..Free with subscription.
Did I miss a notification that this is now not available to Digital Starter customers.?
Thank you

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Question about free movies

If those channels are part of your digital starter subscription, then you will get them online free.  Your digital starter is a subscription, and anything part of that subscription is included online.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Are you referring to On Demand movies?  That's the only place I've seen "free with subscription," and what it means there is if you have the regular channel in your package, then you have access to the On Demand movies too.

Regular Contributor

TCM movies isnt part of my package but until yesterday when I clicked on free  Movies and then TCM there would be a small selection of movies that were free
Yesterday  the wording changed from  free to free with subscription . To check it out I clicked on a movie and the option was  click to purchase which I didnt
I'm thinking  that  means there are no more free TCM
Thanks for resonses

New Visitor
gshess

You are absolutely right.  Friday night I went to OnDemand --> Free Movies! --> TCM --> Movies and

well, well, well, what do you know, the movies that I've previously been able to watch free, they're now charging for.  I called 1-800-COMCAST to ask what was going on.  After being on hold for ten minutes, a human finally picked up, and I asked my question.  She was very confused and put me on hold for two minutes.  When she came back, she said that they're free with the TCM subscription.  I asked, when did THAT change???  She said that some "paper was circulated around the office about the change", but that I was the first customer that she had to explain the change to.

I'd like others to share their experience on this issue.

Regular Contributor

I  am so happy to see  your reply  and learn you  also experiencd the same problem
I was beginning to think It was me  so every day I check and  still seeTCM only available  free with subscription 
It would have been appropriate for  Comcast to inform Infinity TV subscribers  about the change.

Bronze Star Contributor

[ Edited ]

I guess I don't understand the issue...if TCM isn't a channel you pay for, why should you have access to it on On Demand?  I understand you did have access at one time, but technically this is something you shouldn't have received nor is it something you pay for. 

I don't have Starz nor do I have access to it on On Demand.  Had I had it before without subscribing to it I would have considered it a "freebie" "mistake" "bonus" not something I am now entitled to...

FX etc should be no problem...I've experienced "free with subscription" on many of those channels as well..I just select what I want to watch and there it is no problem...

Regular Contributor

I undertsand and I agree if I dont pay for a channel I shouldnt have free access
But for several months  TCM offered a few movies  which  up till  a few weeks ago  were listed free  Then free with subscription appeared
Right now Sudance and IFC still has some free movies available

New Visitor
JustPlainErik

[ Edited ]

The same thing happened to us. We have watched free TCM movies ever since we got On Demand. I am talking about the TCM movies in the Free Movie section, not The TCM channel.

I called Comcast Cuystome Care and they sent a tech out. The tech showed me an e-mail from his manager stating that this was a "Network Wide" outage and they were working to resolve it. A week has gone by since and we are still unable to get the FREE TCM movies.

One more thought... Under Free Movies there is also a TNT section. The movie choices here are also labled "Free With Subscription" and I still receive them. The problem appears to be just with the Free TCM section.

Regular Contributor

Hi  I noticed TBS works the  same as TNT 
it  says   free with subscription but when I click to watch the movie begins
it will be interesting to see If TCM returns to offering free movies I

New Visitor
bigerikwithak

But I was often able to see movies on channels that were NOT part of my 'starter' (?) subscription.  There were some from the FX channel for instance, which I was able to watch, even though FX is NOT viewable with my measly subscription.

It amazing to see how LITTLE is offered these days, with a basic subscription, verses the way it was in years' past.

I've recently heard several stories in various media, (online, NPR) about how cable companies are ever more tightly SQUEEZED by pro sports teams... and how they have to come up with more and more $$ to satisfy their greed.

I am NOT A SPORTS FAN at all, and would happily do without ANY sports material on my cable.... Despite this I, along with everyone else, is being forced to recieve less programming, to subsidize the high prices being charged by sports organizations!!