Contributor
docf

Re: Channel guide - To be announced...

Here's our timeline...

1.  New "Any Room" HD boxes and one DVR installed to replace old DVR and boxes by ComCast Technician (10am 23 Dec)

2.  24 hours later, guide still not updated, so tech comes out to "check signal" and diagnose issue.

3.  Tech finds no issues, tells us we just need to be patient.

4.  Evening of 26 Dec, still nothing by "To Be Announced" for network TV more than about 8 hours out, though there are sporadic listings for other channels several days to more than a week in advance.

5.  Called ComCast at about 8am and expressed concern.  Agent said that she thought she had found and issue and they were sending a signal to all of our boxes to enable them to "pull" the guide info more quickly from the server. Agent says they will call back within the hour to see if problem is resolving itself.

6.  No call received from ComCast

7.  Called ComCast back at 1:15pm and expressed concern that we were now worse (fewer listings shown) than the day before--presumably because the boxes were reset. 

8.  Agent told me that we just needed to be more patient and that we should call back the next morning if the full guide had not been reloaded.

9.  I asked how many days we should consider to repeat this process and the agent had no answer.

10.  Called agent again and noted to the agent that this looks like a nation-wide problem discussed on this forum, but again they had no answer.

ComCast/Infinity is obviously not ready to make the conversion to their new boxes, whether it's a bandwidth or software thing.  At this point, we're going to give it another day before we either ask for our old equipment back or just go to DirecTV for everything except internet.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

The Comcast Cares Team has been notified and will contact the local group.

Watch this post and your email for updates from the team during the business week.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

docf wrote:

Here's our timeline...

1.  New "Any Room" HD boxes and one DVR installed to replace old DVR and boxes by ComCast Technician (10am 23 Dec)

2.  24 hours later, guide still not updated, so tech comes out to "check signal" and diagnose issue.

4.  Evening of 26 Dec, still nothing by "To Be Announced" for network TV more than about 8 hours out, though there are sporadic listings for other channels several days to more than a week in advance.

5.  Called ComCast at about 8am and expressed concern.  Agent said that she thought she had found and issue and they were sending a signal to all of our boxes to enable them to "pull" the guide info more quickly from the server. Agent says they will call back within the hour to see if problem is resolving itself.

7.  Called ComCast back at 1:15pm and expressed concern that we were now worse (fewer listings shown) than the day before--presumably because the boxes were reset. 

8.  Agent told me that we just needed to be more patient and that we should call back the next morning if the full guide had not been reloaded.

9.  I asked how many days we should consider to repeat this process and the agent had no answer.

10.  Called agent again and noted to the agent that this looks like a nation-wide problem discussed on this forum, but again they had no answer.

ComCast/Infinity is obviously not ready to make the conversion to their new boxes, whether it's a bandwidth or software thing.  At this point, we're going to give it another day before we either ask for our old equipment back or just go to DirecTV for everything except internet.

There is no nationwide problem.   Most times the guide not loading is a box or signal issue.  Have you unplugged the box to reset it?  That usually fixes 95% of issues like this.   Also why do you have anyroom dvr plus another DVR?  It my undestanding you can't have another dvr on the line with the multiroom as you can already have 4 boxes with just that.  I might be wrong on that though. 

Contributor
docf

rog286713 wrote:

docf wrote:

Here's our timeline...

There is no nationwide problem.   Most times the guide not loading is a box or signal issue.  Have you unplugged the box to reset it?  That usually fixes 95% of issues like this.   Also why do you have anyroom dvr plus another DVR?  It my undestanding you can't have another dvr on the line with the multiroom as you can already have 4 boxes with just that.  I might be wrong on that though. 

The boxes were reset by the telephone agent and again by the technician who came over and then again by the telephone agent this morning.  We're in the 5%, evidently.

We only have one DVR.  It's of the "Any Room" variety so that the other two HD boxes in two other rooms can view content recorded on them.  I'm sorry that I didn't make that clear.  We have THREE total boxes.

Contributor
docf

rog286713 wrote:

There is no nationwide problem.   Most times the guide not loading is a box or signal issue.  Have you unplugged the box to reset it?  That usually fixes 95% of issues like this.  

The fact that this topic is discussed on this forum and has been active for a couple of months--and that, as you describe, it's often a box or signal issue--tells me that this is a problem experienced by many people on a broader than local scale.  That may not make it nation-wide, but that's a distinction without a real difference.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

remember only people with problems post here.   The symptom of guide data not loading is usually a box or signal issue that is how you fix it.  Comast has over 20 million subscribers, just because a handfull of people post they have an issue does not make it widespread.  Where comcast suffers in my opinion is in small areas where they took over smaller cable companies and never replaced the infrastructure.  Also the cisco Scientific atlanta market is where I see the most issues being posted from. 

I had a problem, tech came to the house didn't even walk in the door, he said your line from the pole is too old, he replaced it and problem solved.   If you have techs out and no one can tell you the issue and they can't fix it that is a problem. 

Contributor
docf

But just because only a few people have posted here, doesn't mean it's NOT a widespread issue.  We didn't know this forum even existed--and I'm not sure many or most ComCast customers do either.  Only ComCast would really know how widespread the issue is because they'd track the inquiries made to all sources (or should).  Since sending along a channel guide--or uploading it to a box--it's really just a transfer of data that's not particularly bandwidth intensive, especially compared to the 30+ Mbps download speed of my cable internet or of the video broadcast, then I assume it's some software thing with them or a compatibility issue with the boxes.  We'll see.  Whatever eventually resolves the issue, I'll definitely post it here.  And I never bother to call customer service with ANYTHING until I try the "turn it off/unplug it, wait awhile, plug it back in fix."  It may not take a rocket scientist...  Have a Happy New Year1

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

you too.  Just FYI there is a patch rolling out to the SA Cisco community that address some of these issues.  I don't know if you are in that community but there is a software update rolling out that might fix some of your issues.

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

Thank You
-Keisha-
New Visitor
MIG4685

Network channels still showing TBA in Mich.  This is the 3rd day.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

unplug replug

Contributor
docf

ComcastKeisha wrote:

Still having issues at 10pm MST.  No more than about 5 hours of future programming shown on the guide.  Not sure how or why the ticket was shown as closed.

Contributor
glocom

I am having the same problem in Indiana and believe it is a system issue.  I am on my 3rd DVR and had techs out 4 times already but the problem persists. 

Contributor
docf

It's 0830 in Colorado Springs and "To Be Announced" populates the programming guide on almost all channels just a few hours (5-7) in the future.  Very very disappointed with our Any Room DVR"upgrade."  I'll be calling again soon, wasting more of my time.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

did you unplug the box to reset it or call comcast for a box reset.  Were you having this issue before you got the anyroom dvr?  If not what box did you have then?

Contributor
docf

[ Edited ]

rog286713 wrote:

did you unplug the box to reset it or call comcast for a box reset.  Were you having this issue before you got the anyroom dvr?  If not what box did you have then?

1.  We've done both.  Same result.  Since we woke up this morning and there had been no real change from last night (still only showing a few hours in the future), we unplugged the DVR for over a minute and re-plugged it in.  It filled in the first 4-5 hours quite quickly but has not gone beyond that point (rolling forward no more than about 5 hours) in the 6 hours since.

2.  We were not having this issue prior to the anyroom DVR installation.

3.  I don't recall exactly, but I think it was a Motorola box.

As it now stands, another technician is coming to the house at 0800 tomorrow morning with a "regular" DVR (not an Anyroom DVR) and two "regular" HD boxes to replace our three "upgraded" boxes.

We'll monitor this forum and would like to upgrade to Anyroom DVR soon, but it's clear that they're not ready for this capability--at least in our area.

So, what's your deal, "rog?"  Just trying to be helpful?  ComCast Agent?  Roving internet/cable PhD?  (Just curious)

Contributor
glocom

I have now had tech at my home 4 times, every line has been replaced, and a "signal" has been sent to the box on multiple occasions but the problem persists.

Contributor
docf

Considering that I'm getting very fast internet speeds (~36Mbps down and over 6Mbps up) it really can't be a signal issue.  Rather, it must be either a software problem or box compatibility with their system.  Technician is on the way this morning with "old" boxes.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

I would bet on the system/software.

Starting to see the issue in MN going out into Saturday. Yesterday it was showing to be announced in some of the Friday time slots. And I know they are workng on our system to eliminate the last analog channels for Limited Basic in the near future (no timeline known by Comcast or they won't tell the customer)

Since I don't pay for DVR service I am not concerned.

Contributor
docf

The tech came this morning and checked our signal--it's strong and fine.  He said that this is a common problem with the new AnyRoom boxes and that he saw it at his own home, too.  He told us that we could expect it to take 3-5 FULL DAYS to download the channel guide after a reset.  He warned us against ANY more resets or unpluggings, told us that he would report the case to his office, and that if everything wasn't loaded by Monday that we should call them back and get our old equipment.  This guy seemed honest and straightforward.  Now, I wish I hadn't done yesterday morning's hard rest (unplug), but that's water-under-the-bridge.  Any more thoughts, Rog?  Still think we're an isolated case of technically incompetent/incompetent consumers that don't know enough to try a reset and show a little patience?

Contributor
BBCC

In Colorado Springs, same issue with the channel guide...More than 5-7 hours ahead and I get "to be announced" on all channels and I don't have a DVR, just 2 boxes, one HD box and one non-HD that aren't new, so it doesn't seem to have anything to do with DVR or new boxes, at least in my case. They sent an activation signal, I was told it takes 45 minutes to start downloading, same problem. I called again and they sent a "validation interactive" signal and the girl said she'd call back in an hour to see if it's fixed. She never called and it wasn't. Still no programs listed after 6 hours, just "to be announced." Called a 3rd time and was told they would send another activation signal, this time with a 'booster' to make it download faster...after 14 hours, still get 'to be announced' on almost all channels after 6-7 hours showing. The few shows showing later than this are spotty and few.

Can't be a box issue with 2 different boxes that aren't new, and evidently not a signal issue, they said it was fine.  Now they suggest sending a tech to check outside wiring... But others still have the issue even with all these ok...don't know what to think. Docf, if you resolved this, please let me know how you did it!  And if Comcast sees this, please fix!! Thanks
Contributor
glocom

After 4 techs came to the house and two DVRs replaced, the last tech finally admitted there is a system issue.  It just takes a really long time for the shows to fill in and sending a signal just starts the process all over.  Hopefully they will get to the root of the problem and get it fixed.

Contributor
BBCC

But Comcast customer 'care' doesn't seem to know about this. As recent as just last night when I called, they still assumed it's a signal or box or wiring issue, instead of saying they were aware of a system issue. Hope I'm wrong, but since they seem unaware about it being an issue on their end, seems doubtul they are doing anything to fix it.

New Visitor
docfrance

Sorry for not reporting back, but a tech came to our place on Friday, 30 Dec.  He told us that all was working as well as could be expected, but that it was well known among technicians that the HD DVR boxes took FIVE TO SEVEN DAYS to fully load the programming schedule.  He told us that his own system was identical and it took over FIVE days to load.  So, we waited through the New Year's weekend and by Monday, everything seemed to be loaded. 

That the customer service and other folks don't acknowledge this situation is amazing.  Frankly, if they'd told us that it would take five days to fully load in the beginning, I could live with that.

Contributor
BBCC

Thanks much for the update, doc. I must be one of the few who don't have a DVR box and still even have one non-HD box, but they are doing the same thing so it's evidently not just DVR's.  After 24 hours of them sending a new signal, most of my channel guide is still 'TBA' after the 7 hour mark (they told me it should show listings for 7 days ahead). That's crazy to take up to a week to load the channels! What would be reassuring is if Comcast customer service actually knew about this, not just the techs, and would say it's a known problem and are working on it. But they're obviously not aware of it, at least not the 3 reps I talked to. Oh well... things could be worse!

New Visitor
baycyd

[ Edited ]

We have TIVO premiere box. Got an M cable card and the runaround from COMCAST techs (chat, in person, phone) for weeks. Finally a nice customer on this forum told me to call activation and gave me the activation number. Voila; cablecard activated. Now on to problem two -- channels 35-61 show on channel guide as "to be announced," and more runaround by COMCAST "analysts." My system has been reset so many times I feel like I've had electroshock therapy. I have to say that I feel really stupid contacting COMCAST when I KNOW that all they are going to do is tell me to reset, wait a few days, and all will be well. It isn't, ever. This is harshing our buzz in the Haight in San Fran. Patiently waiting for another nice customer to tell us how to fix this problem since COMCAST sure as h***won't.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

The guide information on a retail Tivo comes from Tivo's guide service.  Comcast has nothing to do and does not supply the guide data on a Tivo.  The Tivo guide information comes in on the broadband connection whenever the Tivo does it's daily call to the Tivo's servers.

Try and do a couple of manual updates on the Tivo. 

Go to messages and settings / settings / phone & network / connect to the tivo service now.

Also make sure your Tivo is setup for your exact digital channel lineup for your system.

New Visitor
norahs76

New customer, new DVR box same problem.  No guide past about a week.  Too many problems and frustrations with this.

New Visitor
sunrise6179

Ok, this is over 1 year from your post and the channel guide is SOOOOO limited. I'm used to blue ridge catv where you could see a week out on their guide or search for programs a weel out that I wanted to record. Isn't Comcast capable of doing what Blue Ridge can?

Official Employee
ComcastTeds