Visitor

Scrambled

I have been watching my local news via my cable line directly into my tv.  I wake up this morning, and every channel is a blue screen with the word "SCRAMBLED" running around.  At what point did Comcast decide to do this?  I recall hearing a spokesperson for Comcast saying "If we do decide to scramble the signals, we will give our customers plenty of notice".  I have not been notified.  I am a customer. I purchase your internet.  I am seriously re-thinking that this morning.  If Comcast thinks this will make me purchase a box and expensive plan, they are wrong.  They will most likely lose me as an internet customer. 

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Scrambled

comcast has been saying for years you will need a box on your tv, first with the govt manadated switch to digital and now with encrypting all channels.   Every cable company requires a box.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

rog wrote

first with the govt manadated switch to digital and now with encrypting all channels.  

rog, Comcast always advertised when the govt. mandated switch for OTA broadcasts that customers would NOT need boxes.

The internal digital migration was Comcast's choice and they chose to do encyrption requirng the use of boxes was also their choice. They could have left ClearQAM frequencies open.

When the govt. switch first happened I didn't need boxes at first either.

New Visitor
vwpowr

Not sure where you guys live, but as of this am, my one TV where I was using the QAM tuner lost all its stations today.

I live in NH.

I did receive a letter a few weeks ago saying that they were going to start scrambling all channels soon requiring boxes for all tvs.

I have 2 HD boxes which are like $9/mo each?

+ 2 DTA boxes which give HORRIBLE SD pictures to my LCD HD tvs they are attached too, but they are used for bedroom TVs. My daughter likes Disney and Nick and need the box for it.

The QAM tuner tv is in my kitchen. Small 22" lcd.

I really don't want to get yet another box and I think it is rediculous that for what I pay the DTA boxes do not do HD.

I have internet and expanded basic and the costs seem to go up every 6 months significantly.

Up to $150/mo for that. I own my own modem too.

Infuriating, as there are very few options in my area.

Over the air antenna did not work well, and there is no easy place to position it in the kitchen.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

the dta boxes only plut out an anlog signal thats why the picture looks so bad on the lcd hd screen. 

New Visitor
vwpowr

Understood. That is why I wish they had DTA boxes that put out HD signal.

I don't need ondemand or on screen menu system in the bedrooms, but HD signal for the basic channels would be nice.

The 2 DTAs were free, now they are charging me for them as well.

Comcast is really taking advantage.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

they are suppose to be coming out with hd dtas soon, when I have no idea

Visitor

I'm in NH also.  I watch live tv for a total of 30 minutes a day.  Each morning while I'm having my coffee before work.  The rest of the time I stream my tv shows over the internet or through Roku. I refuse to pay Comcast any amount of money for just 30 minutes a day.  I already pay them too much for their internet service.  It makes me sick that they have been given permission to deny me access to my local channels.

I read that the person in charge of the FCC who determined that it was ok for them to scramble our local channels actually worked for the cable industry for over 30 years.  Conflict of interest maybe??

I will shop around for a work-around.  In the meantime, I am going to be very vocal about this. I will find every forum there is and every petition going to get this ruling reversed.

New Visitor
ricknesta

Caught by surprise when COMCAST scrambled basic cable stations.  COMCAST provided NO warning!  Cable companies used to place filters at the pole to prevent piracy (which didn't work for apartment buildings).  Support was of no help saying that the broadcasters had requested the scrambling (I believe this to be an out-right lie!) and that they did not need to provide any customer warning (very BAD PR).  As a basic subscriber, I dutifully acquired the conversion boxes for my analog TV sets when they converted to all digital.  Now I need a set top box for my cable ready digital HDTV too?  The DTA converter boxes are fine for older analog sets, but not for digital HDTV sets!  I am NOT interested in paying more, adding another electrical device to my entertainment system, adding another tuner, or another remote - and I have no need for Pay-per-view or premium services!  The DTA not only provides a poor quality image for an HDTV, but it also significantly limits the available channels (many of the previously free digital stations are not available on the DTA)!  I have also not seen any indication that the FCC has approved this action!

Regular Problem Solver
C_DM

ricknesta wrote:

Caught by surprise when COMCAST scrambled basic cable stations.  COMCAST provided NO warning!  Cable companies used to place filters at the pole to prevent piracy (which didn't work for apartment buildings).  Support was of no help saying that the broadcasters had requested the scrambling (I believe this to be an out-right lie!) and that they did not need to provide any customer warning (very BAD PR).  As a basic subscriber, I dutifully acquired the conversion boxes for my analog TV sets when they converted to all digital.  Now I need a set top box for my cable ready digital HDTV too?  The DTA converter boxes are fine for older analog sets, but not for digital HDTV sets!  I am NOT interested in paying more, adding another electrical device to my entertainment system, adding another tuner, or another remote - and I have no need for Pay-per-view or premium services!  The DTA not only provides a poor quality image for an HDTV, but it also significantly limits the available channels (many of the previously free digital stations are not available on the DTA)!  I have also not seen any indication that the FCC has approved this action!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57533637-38/fcc-allows-cable-operators-to-encrypt-basic-cable-tv-s...

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/15/4226786/comcast-will-encrypt-limited-basic-cable-in-coming-months

New Visitor

Untrue...not every cable company requires a box.I have a Florida cable company and they are not! making us use a box( unless one wants the higher up channels) and hiking their prices via "back door means" like Comcast.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Cable companies just have the okay to encrypt Limited Basic channels. They are not required to do it.

Visitor

I found a way around having to subscribe to comcastI have purchased a Roku player for each tv in my houseI can watch almost every tv show I want to through thatFor live TV, I subscribe to an app on my Roku called Aereo. I get every local channel so that I can watch the local news in the morningIt also acts like a DVR, so I can record shows that I may not be able to find on HuluI'll be darned if I give comcast one red cent

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

I have a feeling many more people at the basic/local tier (who can't get an OTA signal which is easier with digital than the old anolog signals) will be doing that.

New Visitor
vwpowr

I wonder if my wdtv boxes have that aero app you talk about. I haven't noticed though.
What is the monthly charge for aero?
New Visitor
Kissmee

I had to reset my cable box thinking that is why the other TV's Displayed "scrambled" the one with the cable box displayed no signal. By resetting box the main TV now has cable but the others still show "scrambled" I will not pay any more to comcast than I do at present. I will now focus my efforts into learning about an industry of which I recently had little to no interest in. But "believe you me" I will come up to speed very quickly on understanding how to mitigate this. Just like our government they continually provide less, demand more, and make everything more complex than it needs to be. Just try working thru an issue with comcast over the phone or thru chat. When it is over and you find that these people truly are incompetent you will feel as I do right now.

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

Kissmyasscomcas wrote:

I had to reset my cable box thinking that is why the other TV's Displayed "scrambled" the one with the cable box displayed no signal. By resetting box the main TV now has cable but the others still show "scrambled" I will not pay any more to comcast than I do at present. I will now focus my efforts into learning about an industry of which I recently had little to no interest in. But "believe you me" I will come up to speed very quickly on understanding how to mitigate this. Just like our government they continually provide less, demand more, and make everything more complex than it needs to be. Just try working thru an issue with comcast over the phone or thru chat. When it is over and you find that these people truly are incompetent you will feel as I do right now.

following information may help..

http://www.comcast.com/digitaladapterinfo

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/limited-basic-encryption/

http://blog.trebacz.com/2013/09/comcast-xfinity-hd-udta-pace-dc60xu.html     (uDTA hook-up)

Contributor
jmariel777

I'd love to sign a petition too. this is a complete JOKE. I watch the news every day. and now i turn on channel nbc 10 today and I get NOTHING.

claiming they are doing this "so there are fewer service calls" uh huh sure, not to try to milk the last few cents out of anyone with a tv that may not be able to afford comcast and just wants their local channels. this is BS. 

i just cancelled a triple play and took the penalty. removed tv and voice. was fine with 3, 6, and 10. and now i dont have those. comcast you will lose customers. idiots. im shopping around.

Visitor

If that channel 10 is local to you, you may be able to buy a cheap antenna and be able to watch it.  I have a small antenna right in my living room and I'm able to get my local news. 

I'm with you.  Comcast is a greedy giant corporation that is driving customers away.  I can't wait for the day that everyone watches their tv via the internet and they go out of business.

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

jmariel777 wrote:

I'd love to sign a petition too. this is a complete JOKE. I watch the news every day. and now i turn on channel nbc 10 today and I get NOTHING.

claiming they are doing this "so there are fewer service calls" uh huh sure, not to try to milk the last few cents out of anyone with a tv that may not be able to afford comcast and just wants their local channels. this is BS. 

i just cancelled a triple play and took the penalty. removed tv and voice. was fine with 3, 6, and 10. and now i dont have those. comcast you will lose customers. idiots. im shopping around.

If you removed TV service, then you shouldn't be getting any TV channels.  Why do you think differently?

Regular Contributor
PELLEHS

greed is what pushed them to do it

Regular Contributor
PELLEHS

that is it exactly. they know some people do not have any other option. they do not really care that your cable costs as much as your mortgage, or your car payment